CLOSED: Vega Vegetarian Bar...

Expect a variety of dishes, salads, desserts, teas and juices. Menu available in English. Unique atmosphere with music. Popular with locals, passer-bys, and some acting & arts crowd. Open daily 9am-9pm. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Macrobiotic, Organic, Juice bar, Salad bar
7 Św. Gertrudy Str., Kraków, Małopolska (east side of Planty from Old Town, near Arthouse)
Krakow, Poland
48-12-4223494

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Stevie
Jayjazz
Jayjazz

very greasy

2 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2010

I ordered soya steak and chips which I knew wasn't exactly a heathy meal but when it arrived it was dripping in fat, afterwards that evening I had a poorly stomach. My m um ate a soya goulash which was ok fairly tatseless but not greasy. Maybe it was my choice but looking at what other people were eating it did look fast foodish which I would normally be happy with but this made me ill.

Pros: cheap, easy to find
Cons: made me ill, greasy
hack_man
hack_man

A wonderful Setting

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

A lovely place and always a first port of call for breakfast when in Krakow. The barszcz is fabulous and the tomato soup served with rice also as good. Main meals are ready to serve, you just ask for what you want. They have plenty choice, vegan is no problem at all and prices are extremely favourable indeed. It never seems to get that busy which is a real shame but maybe we catch it at the wrong times. The location is amazing, right on the Planty opposite the Old Town and on the wat to the Wawel. Truly romantic. They do a huge range of herbal teas, the coffee is good and there is really pleasant relaxed atmosphere in what is quite a formal setting. Wish it was open later for an evening dining experience with wine.

Pros: location, value, food
Pico
Pico

Good home cookin'

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

Good fresh food. Clean and friendly. Great variety. Not all items are always available but that's the charm. Whatever they do have is fresh and tasty.

Nice window tables with view of the park and good people watching.

Pros: Fresh, Tasty, Clean

Ellio
Ellio

Bad day?

3 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2010

Was so annoyed when I came here, because the menu looked really good. when we went to order we were told that what we wanted had run out (it was about 12pm). I asked for anything that was vegan, and she gave me an aubergine with cheese on it. She didn't seem to know of anything that was vegan except the salads. So we had that, which was ok but pretty boring. And a bit expensive for what it was.
Maybe caught them on a bad day??

~Jen~
~Jen~

a dream come true!

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2010

I visited this restaurant in the summer of 2007 and was amazed!

Half of my family is polish and were the largest consumers of meat that I ever saw. They would tell me there were no polish vegetarians etc. Once I discovered this place, I was delighted!

The food is polish, but vegetarian! So you still see perogies, pickles, cabbage, etc. on their menu.

I had a pickle soup! It was so awesome, I couldn't believe it! It seriously was a dream come true for me to eat strictly polish-vegetarian cuisine!

They had many options on the menu, but you have to order it at the cash and bring it to your table.

Check it out! Canadian vegetarian approved!

Pros: polish-vegetarian cuisine, lots of options
beavers
beavers

A taste of Poland

3 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2009

Found this cheerful oasis on the way back to the old town from the Wawel. Two equal-sized rooms each side of the main counter, each brightly decorated with lots of artwork and neatly dressed tables complete with candles and flowers. We'd heard this was a good place to try pierogi, so gave it a go. Not entirely to our taste - but our lack of passable Polish and the absence of an English translation menu meant we were stabbing in the dark a little bit when we made our selections! A shame because there appeared to be almost endless variations of the traditional themes. Certainly good wholesome stuff, however, and we polished off our great value hot platefuls. Seems to be popular with students and does a steady trade in takeaways.

Pros: Value, wholesome, atmosphere
Cons: language barrier
VeggieMon
VeggieMon

Vega Hits the Veggie Spot

4 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2009

I took the short walk from Cracow centrum headed to Momo near Kazimierz, but unfortunately Momo was closed when I got there. For whatever reason I didn't have Vega on my list of veggie places, but came across the Gertrudy ul. location just by chance on my way back. Glad I stopped in for a visit!

When I got there the place was pretty empty, but the food was hot, fresh, and totally satisfying. I had their special - a scrumptious vegan "goulash" with potato pancake. Not expensive, delicious, and actually a pretty nice place on the whole. Between this place and Momo, you'll be plenty full during your stay in Cracow. The town is full of energy and there's plenty to do and see, so having a good selection of veggie places is the proverbial icing on the Polish cake.

Pros: Very affordable, Comfortable , Hot and fresh
Guest

Peace and Harmony with your food!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

Good location, fairly easy to find (just south and west of the old marketplace), and delicious variety of salads and vegetarian and vegan foods. Menu available in English, and at least one of the employees speak English. The one thing I did not like was that you pay for salad per salad type, unlike some other salad bars where you can have as many types as you want. Nice artsy atmosphere and music though.

Pros: Quiet Atmosphere, Wide selection, English spoken
Cons: small portions
  • kris kris

You don't pay for salad per salad type. The salad comes in 3 sizes: "Dodatek" (addition), "Mały" (small) and "Duży" (big), resp. 2, 4 and 6 types of salad. You can choose any of the about a dozen types.

Mvs6
Mvs6

Vega Vegetarian Bar

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2009

I found eating vegan in Poland very difficult, but Vega was a welcome surprise. The food was good and cheap. They were playing Neutral Milk Hotel on the sound system when I walked in, so I knew right away that I was going to have a good experience. I highly recommend Vega if you are a starving vegan in Poland or just looking for delicious food.

Pros: vegan options, cheap, good vibe
BlokefromBristol
BlokefromBristol

Good food

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2008

Self service restaurant with english menus and english speaking staff, wher I went there on a Friday night. Plenty of choice on the menu and also a good choice of meals for vegans.
This is not a posh restaraunt although there were candles and the tables and the decor was nice.
You order your food at the counter and go back to the counter to pick it up. The service was very quick, so assume that eveerything is ready to go. The food is very nice and will fill you up on a cold day, also everything is very cheap compared to the UK.
I would recommend you try this restaurant out while in Krakow, as it's only five minutes from the main square.

Pros: Good food, Cheap, Very central
Cons: No beer on sell

Excellent place

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2007

We were very satisfied with this restaurant. Most of their dishes were typical Polish food cooked Vegetarian, so we didn't feel like we missed out on the local cousine that often contains some form of pork. Many tasty soups, good goulash and pierogies. Very friendly multi-lingual staff. We came back there every day we stayed in Krakow. Nice vibe.

Pros: good food, reasonable portion sizes (good value), nice environment
Stevie
Stevie

Vega, Krakow

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2006

I've eaten in both branches of Vega. As a vegan I wold be more than happy to eat in either again. Tasty and good value for money.

Pros: Tasty, Good value for money

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Vega Vegetarian Bar -Gertrudy Str: