Features all-you-can-eat buffet which include hot foods, soup, bread. Has organic coffee, non alcohol bar, fairtrade chocolate, organic cakes and bread made by its bkery. Gluten-free options. Entrance at Kurbadet, Thor Olsens gate. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, European, Bakery, Salad bar, Buffet, Take-out

Picklepeas
Picklepeas

Home style cooking

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2014

My non vegetarian husband and I ( life vegetarian for 56 years, can I please point out ) ate here twice on our recent Oslo visit. The first time was on a Sunday and yes, I understand why there are comments on here about the surroundings. It is not a restaurant but the place is clean and the staff helped us understand how the place operates. Sunday we did the buffet and there was a big choice of cold raw food ( hummus, sweetcorn, cucumber, leaves etc are just a few of the items I recall ) and hot food - pasta bake, and some very nice potato wedges.
The second time we went there was a tofu and veggie curry on offer - yes, not the spiciest but they are mass catering. It had real veg in there - actual cauliflower and carrots, not frozen, and was tasty, with rice and poppadums. For 100 kr each, it was such good value - we went to an Indian restaurant in Oslo and had a starter each, main course each, mango lassi and 2 small bottles of water and although it was nice, no way was it worth 700kr. Thanks Vega for being open on Sundays and evenings, we were able to eat well in Oslo. I think you have to remember you are not at home and that food is different around the world - methods of cooking and flavours may not be what you are used to.

Pros: Very reasonably priced, Fresh food used, Good opening hours
Mirja Love RAW
Mirja Love RAW
  • raw

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

Located in a very unappealing building which makes it undesirable to go there. And I wish they would make gluten free and sugar free sweets, and perhaps some raw food. I do not only care about animal welfare, I am interested in my own health as well, and on top of that I like the food and surrpundings to look a little fancy :)Call me demanding, but that`s the good honest truth.
But it`s cheap and vegan. Ok place to go for a quick bite on a weekday (unless you are gluten intolerant)

Beer_bad
Beer_bad

How to cure someone from going vegan.

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

Been here once, and sorry, but the food was SHIT!
No taste, weird texture, and it looked filthy.
The tables was dirty, the floor was sticky, and I felt like I had eaten a "second hand McDonalds meal".

The salad bar was poor.

My BF reaction "This is the LAST time I go to a vegan place!!!"

Cons: Horrible food, Dirty tables, Greasy food

jesse
jesse

Tasty

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2014

Tasty food, limited buffet, mostly vegan, otherwise labelled "lacto-ovo". They have several vegan desserts, though all cake -- which I don't like.

Anybody else notice "vegan" is a redundant form of "vegetarian"? Eggs and dairy should never have been included in "vegetarian".

Pros: tasty food, calm, fairly enlightened atmosphere, not too hard to find
Cons: in an office building, not expensive but could be cheaper
LauraE.MercerTraavik
LauraE.MercerTraavik

Often good food

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

I have been to Vega many times over the last two year and I am usually very satisfied with the food. However, they recently re-introduced milk porducts without adequate labelling. I was very disappointed with the change.

Pros: tasty , choice
Cons: service, non vegan food
MalinB
MalinB

Good food in central Oslo

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

When I'm in Oslo, Vega is the place where I go for dinner. The atmosphere in the restaurant is cozy, although the interior is a bit boring(??). The staff who works there also seems a bit annoyed and tired from time to time.

But, the food is really good, and there are a lot of vegan options - often, all the food is vegan, except from the butter they put out for the bread. Food that contains milk or gluten are marked with big yellow signs at the buffet. They also have vegan and gluten free cakes, and they serve non-alcoholic beer, sodas, juices and coconut water. It's also quite cheap(for Oslo), 135kr for all you can eat.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 03, 2014

Pros: good food, vegan options
Cons: staff seems tired and annoyed
Gudrun
Gudrun

Fair

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

The "Vega Fair food" restaurant is situated within and old, 19th century bathhouse which is worth a visit just because of the paintings and decorations in the hall and the corridors of the building. The restaurant itself gives more of an old-fashioned cafeteria feeling.

They have a daily menu but I missed that when I was there, so I only had the buffet which was all-you-can eat and not expensive (considering Oslo price level). Most options were vegan, not labelled, but the staff helped me out. The food had probably been in its containers for some time - there were not too many people around when I was there, and the food was more warm than hot - but it was ok and I got a good balanced mix on my plate. Nothing fancy, though.

For a dessert I had an apple cake (not included in the buffet price) which was a bit salty, quite weird but I hope this was a one-off.

As others mentioned, vegetarians and vegans do not have too many choices when they want to visit a restaurant in Oslo. It is about time that Oslo gets a modern veggie restaurant with a variety of freshly made organic food. If that happens, places like "Vega Fair Food" could get into trouble. But for now it is one of the few places to go to.

Pros: location, lots of vegan options, inexpensive, interesting building
Cons: food is not always freshly made, could do more with spices
piffelina
piffelina

Take-away

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

Huge take-away box. The had a great Indian dish with tofu, the hummus was delicious, and so was the cabbage/chick pea dishes even though they didn't look like much.

Cons: Not all vegan
dagani
dagani

great food, but out of price

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

The food is nice but it is a simply , not very clean place. It also actually cost 35 krona more (135) after busy hours when it's empty and some of the food is bit old

Pros: great variety , buffet!
Cons: pricy
SarahLouise
SarahLouise

Carbs galore

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

As other reviewers have noted, Oslo is very expensive so the idea of an all-you-can-eat buffet is a promising thing. My partner and I went for dinner. When we got there, the salad bar was pretty much empty and wasn't refilled when we were there. The available veggies were crisp though and the hummus was good. There was only one label indicating a dish had gluten. I had to ask the server to explain which dishes were vegan. The hot vegan food consisted of white rice, TVP chilli, stir fried white rice with veggies, and white noodles with veggies and seitan. For vegetarians there was also pizza with cheese. The food was fine but nothing to write home about. The main problem was the lack of veggies and way too many simple carbohydrates for my tastes. I'd recommend this place if you don't want to spend too much money and want to ensure that you don't leave hungry.

Pros: all-you-can-eat, inexpensive, laid back
Cons: not very healthy, vegan items not labeled, plain atmosphere
mikkel_sommer
mikkel_sommer

Just what I was looking for!

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

Oslo is an expensive place, but for a fair price you can eat as much as you want from this absolutely delicious buffet. The salad bar was perhaps a little bit simple, but the soup and the warm dishes were brilliant! They had both vegetarian and vegan choices, and always had little signs up to warm you about milk products and so on. The chefs seemed really nice and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed and a bit like a canteen, but not in a bad way. So perhaps it's not the most romantic of places, with service at the tables and candles everywhere, but I still loved my hour there. Had my little daughter with me, and they had baby chairs and lots of space. My lord that cauliflower says was darn good and creamy, I still dream about it to this day!
So yes, definitely worth a visit I would say!

Pros: delicious food for a fair price, a wide range of spices, a relaxed atmosphere
Cons: not so romantic, slightly simple salad bar
Anna Vladi
Anna Vladi

great place

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

We had an amazing buffet for very good price there. The buffet had soja and seitan and seemed to be vegan frendly.
The place also has a nice garden outside.

Pros: great menu, cheap, nice location
emmakgj
emmakgj

Simple tasty food

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

Simple food, cheap prices (100 kroner for lunch) and you can eat as much as you want.

Great if you're super hungry and also if you're in a hurry as there's no waiting time for the food to come out!

I think great food if you find yourself out and about and in need of a good vegetarian meal but not sure it's somewhere i'd make a special occassion of visiting.

Pros: cheap, quick, tasty
Cons: not so much atmosphere
swedenrose3
swedenrose3

fantastic gem in Oslo

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

Found Vega while looking for another vegetarian restaurant. After looking 30 minutes, we went back to Vega shortly after it opened for the day. We are so glad we did! The food was really yummy and the concept was good. We enjoyed most of the dishes on the buffet. The chutney is top notch! In an expensive food city like Oslo, it is great to find a reasonably priced place that hits the mark!

Pros: friendly staff, good food, awesome concept
Maddita
Maddita

Meh.

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

The place has a cafeteria kind of atmosphere, even if it's suppose to be a restaurant. It's neither cozy or fancy. It lacks charm.
The staff is awful, they are not attentive at all and it looks almost like something/someone took the life out of them.

You can get a lot of food for a very good price though!
- Salad buffet with awesome hummus, soup of the day, bread, fresh juice, a warm buffet with usually rice, cooked veggies, and either some veggie burgers, pizza, lasagna or some Indian dish. Sometimes they also have papadum
And you get free refill :)

Personally I think the food here is not that good. The only really good thing they have is the Hummus and the sweet mango chutney. The veggies are usually over cooked and dripping with oil.

Pros: A lot of food for a cheap price, Awesome hummus!
Cons: Staff is terrible, Food not that great, Crappy atmosphere
tanayada
tanayada

very good place

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

For us it was a remedy. Choice is nice, we liked the atmosphere too. My husband ate a lot of fried potatoes, and I liked salads, soup and rice with vegetables. For me it's the best result the owners could reach using such a little prices. Prices are flexible and that was very nice. We used refills all the time and once having found this place we understood we don't need anything else.

Pros: plain and tasty, cheap!
Cons: staff could be more clients-oriented, but ok
VegetarianFamily
VegetarianFamily

Diverse food choice

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

Excellent food quality. Extremely broad set of fresh vegetables and salads available. Can be good to visit for vegans/raw folks yet there are no lakto-ovo food products served. Good vegan pastry is available for buying and taking away too.

Pros: large menu, fresh food quality
Cons: not very tidy inside, no labels on some items
Fancy
Fancy

Vegetarian Food - Oslo

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

Oslo is a fantastic city but it is not very easy to find places that serve vegetarian food and/at affordable prices. The food at Vega Fair was tasty and the price (100 NOK) excellent for Oslo standards. I will certainly go back next time I visit Norway.

Pros: Price, Food, Location
adc1984
adc1984

Don't bother

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

As much as I enjoyed finding a vegan friendly restaurant in Oslo we found the options to be between bland and tasteless. The all you can eat buffet loses its appeal when you're presented with unflavoured elbow macaroni, stale bread, plain rice, and peas in a tomato base as hot food selections. Shredded carrots and various other basic salad ingredients barely sufficed for the remainder of the options. The food needs more imagination and effort (which is not difficult by any means) rather than the excuse that the options for v*gans are slim in Oslo. We won't be going back.

Pros: Location, Open Sunday evening
Cons: Bland food, Few choices, Atmosphere
teafour2
teafour2

Old fashioned but decent wholesome food

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2012

(Firstly - don't do what we did and go to the wrong entrance - the locked gate door with the big sign on it is not the way in - go to the door on the left).

The comments about the staff are true, they don't seem that worried about the customers. But all they need to do is take your cash for the buffet, so you don't need to speak to them much. The buffet had some good choices and decent vegan food. The food was very wholesome, lots of stew and homely style food. But it's very cheap and you can go back to the buffet as many times as you like. The atmosphere felt a bit like a work/school canteen, but it was clean and pleasant enough. A decent place to eat if you don't want anything fancy.

Pros: cheap, wholesome , lots for you money
Cons: not much atmosphere, choice depends on day
arild
arild

Give me just a little bit energy

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

The food has improved since the place moved from it's earlier place downtown. But still, it feels kind of old fashioned. Very often, the main dish is filled with tons of carbs, too much salt and too many over-cooked vegetables. But luckily, there is a lot too choose from in the buffet (main dishes, soup and salad bar).

The environment is just like a office after closing hours, really boring. But food and environment could be forgiven in the name of vegetarianism, if it hadn't been for the people working there who don't seem to care too much about the place or the customers. I get the feeling that they are saying : "This is healthy veggie food for you! Be grateful and don't expect the world to be fresh, tantalizing and inspiring!!!".

Food is not only about the ingredients, but also about energy. Spread the love, people! And I will come back and eat your lentils with a smile on my face!!! : )

But of course - Credit is due to this place in the name of service to the people. They have been hanging on for decades, serving the cause of vegetarians in Oslo. And that's why it deserves an improvement.

Pros: Cheap food, Nice salads, Room for improvement
Cons: Staff don't seem interested in customers, Food is a bit salt and grungy, The environment is dark and dull
DanielFerguson
DanielFerguson

Tasty

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

Lots of options, mostly vegan, considering how much you can eat and where it Is, it's very cheap. Food was a bit cold though.

Pros: Mostly vegan, Big variety
Cons: Less than hot, Food a little bland
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

Best food

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

No restaurant compares to the food here. Is the best one would find. Moreover, this restaurant is great for people with health problems because the staff knows exactly what food will do you harm. For example, it is always written if some food has gluten or not; and you can talk with the staff about it.

The atmosphere could be improved a little though I like it as it is. I eat there as often as I can when I am in town.

Pros: best food, vegan, gluten free
martemow
martemow

Vegetarian buffet for little money

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

Beeing vegetarian/vegan in Norway is not always easy. We tend to feed ourselfs with lots of meat and fish and there aren't that many vegatarians. Therefor the selection of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Oslo aren't anything to brag about. But if you want a good and cheap veg meal, go to Vega. You can eat as much as you like for 120kr at night and 100kr for lunch. This is VERY cheap for Norway! I always go when don't feel like cooking but want a filling homemade dinner. Try it out!

Pros: cheap, many options, they have guarana!
Cons: very simple deco
zombiecrashtest
zombiecrashtest

best deal in oslo!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

my husband and i arrived there for dinner and paid 120 each for the buffet (if you get there earlier in the day for lunch it's cheaper). they had a bread station, soup station, salad/cold station and a hot food station. the bread was a nice crusty brown bread that i had with a bowl of the soup of the day which was tomato (and labeled as vegan). while i had the soup, my husband took advantage of the salad bar. the salad bar consisted of the usual items...lettuce, tomato, shredded carrots, etc...but it also had marinated beans, hummus and something that kind of looked like coleslaw. moving on to the hot food section, we were in for a pleasant surprise. they had jasmine rice, veggie patties, pea and tofu curry, white bean stew, roasted potatoes and peppers and onions in a coconut milk curry. everything was extremely delicious and we both went back for seconds. the only downfall was that nothing was labeled (except the tomato soup), so you either had to ask the counter help what was vegan or just chance it.

this was seriously the best meal i had while in oslo and at the best price.

Pros: amazing food, great value, plenty of seating
Cons: not much is labeled
manooh
manooh

Nice default eat-out option

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

Vega has decent buffet-style food to a reasonable price. All of it is organic, as far as I know, and their cakes are gluten-free. When it comes to vegan food, one can be more or less lucky. Some of the cakes are vegan, and mostly there is warm food that is vegan, too. On some days, everything is, on others, they will have lasagna or other cheese-heavy dishes. All in all: worth the money if you want to get decent food without having to think where to go :-)

Pros: organic, outside seating in the backyard
Cons: unpredictable rate of vegan choices
Niels
Niels

Vega fair food

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

Nice place. Simple but decent value for money

hectorjr
hectorjr

The best vegetarian offering in Oslo?

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2011

Having said that...it's not really easy to be a vegatarian/vegan in a predominantly meat-consuming country like Norway. Vega Fair Food still has a long way to go when it comes to the variety of the food compared to what other restaurants in other countries offer. But at this price range (NOK 88 for the lunch buffet and NOK 99 for dinner), Vega is really hard to beat.

Located beside the St. Olav Catholic Church, very close to the city's main attractions (Aker Brygge, The Royal Castle among others), yet still situated in a very quiet location, eating in Vega is always a treat. It's nice, simple, cozy and QUIET! They change the menus everyday so it's best to check their webpage just to see if the main course is something you will like. But their salad buffet alone is worth the cheap asking price. Absolutely a must if you are a vegatarian/vegan and in Olso. Closed on Saturdays.

Pros: cheap, good salad buffet, quiet
Cons: food may not always be good, limited vegan offering
Stefan Daystrom
Stefan Daystrom

hot dishes this Sunday

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

Today I went there for lunch, and the hot dishes were moussaka and moussaka. :) A vegan version and a lacto version. So for those who are not vegan, there may not be a choice of two really different hot dishes always. (Technically there was a third hot dish, but it was simply flavored rice.)

There is seating both inside and outside. Outside today there was a group of local women singing familiar hymns with unfamiliar-to-me Norwegian lyrics. It provided great atmosphere.

Pros: buffet at good price, vegan and lacto hot dish options, open Sunday
Cons: vegan & lacto hot dish may be same type
Care+Adam
Care+Adam

Dinner, Day 4

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2010

Only place in Oslo we found a dish with tofu (although we didn't try any Indian restaurants which may have had it on the menu). Reasonably priced buffet style. They served soup, rice, sweet and sour veggies and tofu, and had a small salad bar. Also, all vegan desserts!

Guest
Guest

new found favourite

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2010

Excellent choice of salads, most of which are vegan. Lovely fresh bread, a soup option and some warm dishes. Plus vegan cakes which are so good!

Pros: Value for money, Quality food, Cake
MikeLXXXVIII
MikeLXXXVIII

Excellent alternative for vegans and vegetarians

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2010

I used to be a customer of the previous ran vegetarian restaurant Vegeta which unfortunately had to close in the end after going on for so long.
However the overtaking by Vega Fair has been a massive improvement and really compliments well us vegeterians/vegans lifestyles. Their meals are much more exciting and different meals for everyday, so it is aways exciting to find something new to eat every time you stop by. The quality of the food is much better and you can tell by the taste that they have some standards with their cooking and choice of raw goods. The meals taste also pretty decent, although I am missing more vegan alternatives. The prices are about right and very satisfying.

The place has a decent design and style. The restrooms are usually in excellent condition and clean which isn't always the case when you eat places. Couldn't recomend any better place to eat if you are looking for getting your moneys worth!

Pros: Food variation, Price, Interior
Cons: Little vegan options, Location
feorag
feorag

Beautiful, peaceful, and the food's not bad either

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

Sunday is a bit of a dead loss in Oslo, but Vega, located in a former hydrotherapy baths run by the Seventh Day Adventists, is about the only exclusively vegetarian place that is open.

It's a bit tricky to find. You need to go in the main entrance to the baths (Kurbadet), which looks locked. It isn't - you just need to turn the knob. Turn left, though the most spectacular Arts and Crafts corridor and turn right just before you get to the door of what used to be the men's bath.

English is spoken, and they will guide you through the options available to you, and let you know which few dishes in the buffet are not vegan. This afternoon, the only things that weren't were a pasta salad containing feta, and the lasagne.

There was a creamy asparagus soup, and a wide variety of salads to choose from. The hot dishes were the aforementioned lasagne, stir-fried mixed vegetables and rice - I didn't bother as the salads were more than satisfying. By the bread were a couple of chutneys a fantastic banana one, and an Indian style one consisting of large pieces of green chilli and whole cloves of garlic. I liked that one even more.

Pros: open on Sunday, beautiful location, reasonable value for Oslo
Cons: but not Saturday
liverpoolzinho
liverpoolzinho

Excellent!

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2009

We visited Vega Fair Food three times during our stay in Oslo. The restaurant had a good selection of salads and warm food, very well marked and the food was cheap. We can recommend it!

Dear Owner and Manager of Vega Fair Food: