Serves meat, veg options available. All veg except for fish. Family-run restaurant in the Gulf Gate area. Has vegan options and gluten-free. With a separate vegan menu. All soups are vegan except for the matzoh balls. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
2164 Gulf Gate Dr (S Tamiami Trail)
Sarasota, Florida 34232

raccnm
raccnm

Excellent

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2014

Loved the Vegan Portabello Volcano; the option for "small bites" from the desert menu was great for a single diner, and the Chevre Chocolate Mint Cheesecake was divine. Would happily return should I pass through Sarasota again.

Pros: Excellent Food, Excellent Service, Reasonably Priced
didididid
didididid

VEG - NO MEAT ON PREMISES!!! EVER!!!

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2014

Happy Cow's description of VEG is very inaccurate. There is no meat or poultry on the premise at any time, EVER! My family and I have been eating at VEG for almost 4 years. They go to extensive lengths to serve local fresh ingredients. The chefs cook with passion and take great pride in making sure your dietary needs or concerns are met if possible.

Anyone having specific dietary requirements can call them ahead of time and they will do their best to accommodate your needs.

Ask for Candy to be your server she was great.

OMG it is sooooo delicious.

Pros: everything made from scratch, fast and friendly without being rushed, Unique dishes
Cons: only 1 location, can be a bit noisy because small
drummergirl
drummergirl

Yum, yum, YUM

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2014

The vegan menu at this place rocks! At last there's some variety on a vegan menu at a place that serves non-vegan food too. Apps, dinners, desserts galore! It's creative, tasty, healthy, flavorful...everything is so fresh and nicely prepared. Veg is a very small place that fills up fast, but it's worth going! The food is just amazing, and the chef is such a nice guy. I wish I could eat the whole menu!

Pros: Awesome food, Nice staff, Variety
Cons: Very small space

JodiS
JodiS

Fantastic!

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2014

I really liked that veg has a vegan, raw, and vegetarian menu. Even though I am vegan, my husband is not which makes going out to eat difficult. I ordered the chick-un club which was amazing aside from the fruit that came with it, which was the only side option. I will definitely be going back

ActiveCaptain
ActiveCaptain

A wonderful vegan experience...

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

We like Veg a lot. It's small and a reservation was needed. The service was polite and friendly.

We had the Vegan Thai tacos as an appetizer along with a couple of entrees and shared a dessert. Everything was exceptional. I would have given it 5 stars except 4 is the maximum allowed for a non-vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Quality Vegan dishes, Friendly service, Reasonable prices
Cons: They were "out" of one thing we ordered
punzelda
punzelda

Good vegan option

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

Veg has great vegan and even raw options. Their salads are complex and satisfying. We had a raw cashew cheesecake dessert that was excellent. Our entire meal was raw, but there were plenty of cooked vegan options on the menu. The only drawback is that the place is so small, you have to make reservations well ahead of time.

Pros: Lots of raw options, Plenty of vegan dishes, Friendly staff
Cons: Crowded, noisy, difficult to get into
veggirl
veggirl

a local gem

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

This is one restaurant that I totally trust to use organic, fresh vegetables and to ensure a quality product. I love this little place. The family takes great pride in bringing you an excellent experience and I have never been disappointed. I believe all of their dishes are wonderful and if you're vegetarian or vegan or need gluton-free, this is the place to go. Delicious food, great service, & high quality.

Pros: reasonably priced, delicious, quality-assured
BadassJB
BadassJB

Subpar Vegan Food

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

I went here a couple of years back when they first opened and was unimpressed then. I recently decided to give it a try again, hoping they improved. I mean, they are still open. The place was packed, we had to wait to be seated, and service was prompt when finally sat. So far so good. The appetizer we ordered was quite good. Warm pita with creamy smooth hummus, 'mama' ghanouj, olives, and quinoa tabbouleh. We thought they've improved leaps and bounds, then the mains came. The veggies of the day,which accompanied each plate, were steamed 'baby' carrots, and asparagus. I'm pretty sure the carrots went from a bag into hot water. It was not very impressive presentation or preparation. I had the tempeh risotto, which was not risotto at all. It was cooked brown and wild rice tossed in a 'risotto' sauce. My partner ordered the cauliflower steak, which was a par-cooked head of cauliflower, flattened then roasted or pan fried, on a bed of brown rice with a marinara topping. It was nice that it was simple ingredients, but not too inventive for being called a 'steak.'

You'd be better off going to chipotle or something. At least it's cheap and semi-tasty.

Pros: good starters, vegan menu
Cons: cost, presentation
SeekerOfTheWay
SeekerOfTheWay

Quaint and Classy!

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2012

Went to Veg restuarant in Sarasota with my mom (non vegetarian). I am 100% vegan.

The atmosphere is cozy but also classy and well decorated.Not as hippie-like as I've seen many vegan places. Tables were adorned with fresh flowers.

The food was amazing! I had the Tomato Pesto Tofu Sandwhich with a side of fresh friut. Awesome meal! Also had a side of pita and hummas. My mom had a fish sandwhich(sorry I don't pay attention if it's not vegan) and she loved hers as well! Good wine and lemon drink.

Service was very good as well and I got vegan fudge and coconut pudding for dessert. Amazing, both! Yum.

Will be back here again for sure.

Pros: Tasty Vegan Food, Great service, Nice atmosphere
radiovegan
radiovegan

Excellent Meal & Lovely Service

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

What a delightful restaurant to find. I am both vegan and gluten-free, which adds a special challenge -- Veg is most definitely up to that challenge. They mark their gluten-free and vegan items, and are super helpful about it all. I got the cauliflower steak, which was such a unique dish and very tasty. I've never had cauliflower prepared that way (roasted until it melts in your mouth) and with marinara sauce - a winning dish. Because they serve seafood, my entire family was willing to come here, too, and everyone was happy.

Pros: Food, Service, Intimate atmosphere
Sarasota Fan
Sarasota Fan

Great Food

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

Veg is a wonderful restaurant, with a nice variety of foods on the menu, all carefully prepared. I eat there several times a month and love it. Organic wines are available. Dessert too!

Pros: Healthy food, Friendly staff, Very good value
morey74
morey74

Great Find!

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2011

Just ate at The Veg in Gulf Gate. Amazing mouth watering food, great organic brews and very kind attentive service. Highly recommended!

veganvacation
veganvacation

best veg meals in sarasota

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

Veg has great vegan dishes - I loved the Tempeh Risotto, the Tofu Salad, and the Mushroom Leek Soup. Went back twice in the same week!
Not a vegetarian restaurant, they also serve a lot of fish. But the vegan food is very clean & fresh, and the restaurant does smell fishy. The food is simple and delicious. I could eat here all the time!
The family-run staff is wonderfully friendly, helpful and conscientious.

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff
Eliza13
Eliza13

Great Food

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2010

I just got take out from Veg and it was as good as everyone said. [edit by staff - see tos]. Everything was of the highest quality and full of flavor. I went early and there were already quite a few people there. It's a small restaurant with a small bar, but has a pleasant atmosphere.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: small, understaffed
  • veganrunner veganrunner

With all due respect, this is a website dedicated to promoting vegetarian and vegan cuisine only.

Dear Owner and Manager of Veg: