Asian vegetarian restaurant offering an Indian buffet plus ala carte items. Mostly vegan food, but some items contain gelatin - please inquire. Similar food here as at the location in St Kilda. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Asian, Thai, Chinese

First Review by swell42001
blinki
blinki

Average

3 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

I had rice with three curries- chickpea/potato, tofu/sweet potato and dahl. Rice was well cooked but not perfect. Curries were all lacking flavour, I'm not even convinced there was any spices in there. The chickpea was tomato based and just tasted of tomato, chickpeas were a bit too hard for my taste. Tofu was coconut creamy which with the richer flavour of the sweet potato saved it but there was still not obvious spice and I only got one bit of tofu. Dahl just tasted of lentil but was well done otherwise.

I don't expect hot curry in Australia but at least some (noticeable)cumin and coriander wouldn't go amiss. That said it was all entirely edible and just lacking rather than bad.

Woman behind the counter was friendly. It feels like a take away place with some seats thrown in the front so not really somewhere you'd go out of your way for a meal.

Serving size was generous but note especially big. A little over $10 for it is fair. No shortage of vegan options.

Given there's two falafel places and a Mexican within 30s walk (and loads more vegan options if you walk a little further), I doubt I'll go back. But if I somehow found myself with no other option I wouldn't really mind eating there again.

Tiggy
Tiggy

Fine when you're in the neighbourhood

3 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2013

I've been to this place (and the other VOT in St Kilda) regularly over the years and was last there three days ago. I find that it is generally good for what it is (quick meals from a bain marie) but not a place I would make a point of going. The food is consistent and clearly labeled (lacto-, ovo-, vegan, gluten-free and hot, medium, mild) but sometimes a little lacklustre. The bain marie items include around ten of a range of wet and dry curries and stir-fries and you get two choices with rice for atound AUD9.50. I've found it safer to stick with the counter food as the menu items (and there is a reasonably sized menu) have generally been disappointing when I've experienced them: laksa that is too soupy and tofu black pepper stir-fry that is way too dry. Sometimes I'll pop in and just grab a samosa or a curry roll, and they have other deep-fried items too. There are only plastic cups for water. I'll continue to come here but have realistic expectations about what I'm going to receive.

Pros: Consistent, Quick
Cons: Mediocre, Sometimes disappointing
SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Excellent Choice

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Both the Veg Out in Fitzroy Street, St Kilda and this one in Chapel Street are fantastic places to indulge. Great locations to sit and people watch if you are into that. The bain marie contains so many tasty options - spring rolls, dumplings, fragrant Indian and Thai style curries and colourful stir fries. My mouth's watering...Very reasonably priced.

Setcarp
Setcarp

cafeteria style or order off the menu.

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

I arrived close to closing time but they still had the hot bar well stocked. I was going to take me order to go, but the rice and 3 dishes is only for dine-in. It was good I over all. Maybe a bit bland and not as warm as I would have liked it. I think I would order off the menu next time. The rice and 3 was $10.50 and most of the menu items were about the same price.
It was defiantly a good value for the money.
They have a cooler of water out so you can help yourself to water.

Pros: options, price
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

I'm addicted, so delicious!!!

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

I love this place, it's a veg oasis in the middle of a street full of big name designer labels - ho hum, yawn. The food is very good, lots of taste and healthy as can be. Very large servings and friendly service. If he's there, say hi to William the asian owner, he takes a lot of pride in this restaurant. For take away or quick sit down meal, I highly recommend it.

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Clean as
Cons: No free money, No free beer, No free food

Dear Owner and Manager of Veg Out Time: