Small veggie cafe with counter service that caters to mostly the locals. Menu features a variety of choices from pizza, salads, and wraps, to veggieburgers, main plates, pizza, to fresh carrot juice. Has vegan cakes. Food is served on disposable and take-out ware in a simple space. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, American, Pizza, International, Take-out
810 Kokomo Rd (Haiku Town Center, Maui)
Haiku, Hawaii 96708
808-575-5320

Open Mon-Fri 10:30am-7:30pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-7:30pm.

First Review by Richard Myers
sil
sil

Not Impressed

2 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2014

My husband & I visited Veg Out on our last day on Maui. I had higher hopes for Veg Out. I had the falafel and my husband had the italian sandwich. The falafel was dry and tasted like what we have made at home from a boxed mix, I ended up having indigestion the remainder of the day and the flight home. My husband said he liked his sandwich but he thought it could be better. I wouldn't go out of my way to come back to Veg Out if we’re on Maui in the future.

Pros: Vegetarian
Cons: Indigestion, Dry Falafel, Bland Italian Sandwich
Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Haiku's Old Standby

3 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

I live in Haiku, so of course it is great to have a vegetarian restaurant so close. It is a casual place with lots of choices - Mexican, pizza, Thai, etc. They also have salads and smoothies. The prices are very reasonable and the people who work there are very friendly. Try it out!

*****Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 03, 2007*****

Maybe my tastes have changed, and I look for healthier food. I've been going here for years as a standby when we don't want to cook at home, however after every single time I eat here, I wake up so parched and thirsty that I know they must put way too much salt in the dishes. This only happens on nights after I eat here, so I know that is the cause. Needless to say, I don't eat here very often anymore. I am well aware that other restaurants are probably just as salty, not just Veg-out.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 18, 2013

Pros: good prices, variety of dishes
Cons: no vegan cheese, way too salty, doesnt't seem so healthy
Chia
Chia

Quick and casual

4 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and have eaten here a few times so far. Was just here in December 2012, and here's my Veg Out review.

This is a informal and basic kind of place. The locals come here for a quick bite or takeaway. Your order at the counter, and food is then brought to our table. Everything in disposable to-go ware only.

In the times that I've eaten here, I've had the organic local greens salad, enchilada salad, taro burger on toasted bread, pizza on whole wheat crust, pizza no cheese on spelt crust, vegan cakes, yellow curry, Indian platter, and fresh carrot juice. Overall the food is okay. The vegan cakes are moist and yummy.

I'm surprised that it seems as if very little had changed here since my past trips to Maui. Same basic space offering quick service vegetarian and vegan food (no vegan cheese for pizza) except for a few different menu items.

Pros: variety of choices, good vegan cakes, fast service
Cons: ventilation could be better, some items salty
Robynwdann
Robynwdann

BEST CAKE EVER!

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2012

We had the felafel wrap, which was yummy and fresh...but the highlight was definitely the Pina Colada cake! WOWZA! So So So good I may have to move to Maui.

Pros: lots of option, pina coloda cake
Cons: no vegan cheese
kindlizard
kindlizard

not very good hippie food

2 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

We got a lot of food after an active day, nothing was very good. The chips and other food are sourced from Costco, fwiw. We split a pizza and salad for apps, neither of which came before our entrees, so we wished we hadn't gotten them. The pizza was not very good, the crust was soggy and let the toppings fall right off. The salad was the same as the wrap my date had, minus the wrap. The tofu on the salad had zero flavor. The salad was a weak point. The wrap was reported to me to be good, but qualified as hard to mess up bean and rice in a wrap. My seitan samich was not good, baked w tomato sauce. First, when squeezed to bite all the oil, which was a lot, emerged to the top. It was so much that the bread could not tolerate it and it disintegrated and fell apart. It was very oily. The flavor was just alright nothing special but it was hot in an area that is not bubbling over w veg food. I think if you thought about what was hard to mess up and ordered that it may be ok.
Seem like nice enough folks though.

Maui has a lot of great food, I was irked I stopped here though and let this happen.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 08, 2011

Pros: nice folks, veggie
Cons: lack skill/ finesse, costco food, timing

twinklelina78
twinklelina78

AWESOME

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2011

Loved the fact that it is fully vegeterian
Wide variety to choose from: mexican, indian, italian, greek
Owner is a sweet lady, who works with her son.
It may appear that high school students run the place, but they were very knowledgable about the food offered!
we went here 3 times, since in east maui, i could not find any "veg only" resteraunts, and im picky about little things, such as knife used to cut my pizza :)..i cringe if i taste pepporoni on the sides :). we did take out, that stayed fresh for the evening dinner. Then before i left for the airport , we picked up some dinner again. It is only 10 mins from the airport. (OGG)

Pros: EXCELLENT VARIETY, good value, veg only
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Veg out we did

5 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2008

This was a real find for us in a not too friendly area. The food was great and we returned again before we moved on in our tour of the island. Lots of vegan choice with large portions; it left us very satisfied.

Pros: good menu, excellent food
Cons: limited seating

Dear Owner and Manager of Veg Out: