CLOSED: Veg 'N Out

Veggie cafe in the North Park neighborhood of San Diego. Menu includes in veggie burgers, hot and cold sandwiches, veggie dogs, smoothies, desserts, and other vegetarian and vegan food. Casual. Confirmed closed, Sep 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Take-out, Catering
3442 30th St (North Park)
San Diego, California 92104
619-546-8411

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by vixyash
DBSunDevil
DBSunDevil

Good Stuff!

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

I ate the meatball sub. I thought it was delicious and it was super filling. I'll definitely be back!

lesterville
lesterville

Lots of Tasty Options

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2014

I love Veg 'N Out. I wish they were only vegan. There are so many good options on the menu, the portions are decent and the prices reasonable. I don't like how they charge extra for vegan and they sometimes try to charge extra for the one burger on the menu listed as vegan. Last time I went there I had the Western Burger and it's my new favorite. I wish the potato wedges were fresher or just fries because they get soggy when you get take out.

Pros: Good portion sizes, Reasonable prices, Selection
Cons: not all vegan
claya
claya

'N out

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

Had the western burger, i was so excited to eat it because of how delicious it looked but the onion rings where hard as a rock as well as the "bacon"
Staff was friendly, no private parking lot perhaps I'll give it another shot in the future...not sure

jonpaladin
jonpaladin

delectable

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

huge selection and it's all sooo tasty.

juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Veg N' Out

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

The western burger was delicious. The onion rings were good for about two minutes then they turned a bit hard. Friendly service. Would go back again. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere with a bungalow feel.

Pros: Large portions, Friendly service
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

Yummy vegan eats!

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

The service here was really friendly, the vegan burgers were DELICIOUS and HUGE. I got one with the veggie patty, and it had avocado, sprouts, jalapenos, etc. It was soooo yummy! The only complaint I have about this place is that they charge you more to make things vegan, and it should be the other way around!

Pros: amazing food, good prices, huge portions
Cons: charge more for vegan
Amyruth
Amyruth

love this place!

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

Everything we've ever ate here has been really good. My favorite is the Philly sandwich.

Pros: great food, cute spot, nice staff
katy3
katy3

great veg burger joint

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

Great vegetarian burger joint. The Tree Hugger was soooo good! My hubbie, who is a meat eater, really liked the BBQ Western.

Service was great too! No complaints here.

katroshka
katroshka

Yummy casual food

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2011

We really like Veg N Out. It's great for kids, even has vegan and veggie kid menu items. The burger patties are made there, not frozen processed things, and there are a ton of different choices.

There is also a Vegan Happy Hour every first and third Wednesday, with even more affordable vegan fare, and a reggae DJ. Very fun place with good, healthy food.

Pros: healthy, kid friendly, cheap
Cons: no waitstaff
veggiedisneygirl
veggiedisneygirl

Disappointed with service and food

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

We took my parents here for Father's Day. My parents are vegan too and we are always searching for a great vegetarian restaurant. I looked at the reviews and thought this would be a great place, but I left disappointed. We got the homemade vegan burger and I would have to say it was tasteless and messy. I also got the fried avocado for my brother to try... I tasted it knowing it wasn't vegan and it was oily and tasteless... the dipping sauce was alright but not really my favorite combo of flavors. My seven year old son got the kids meal with a veggie burger and he will never forget that his meal looked like a meal for a three year old with the veggie patty the size of a silver dollar!! He cracked up and thought it was comical. And the irony is that he ate 1/2 of my vegan burger and liked it. FIGURES!! The food is pricey and the service was marginal. The lady behind the counter was moody and irritated. Not sure if she was just having a bad day or if she is always like this. I have been vegan for 15 years and she treated me like I was a clueless person that was "trying" this type of food for the first time. Though I was new to the restaurant and I was trying to make sense of the large menu... I expected a little more friendliness and patience. My mom even had to bring her attitude to her attention (in a diplomatic way of course) and then she backed down and was at least nice to my mom. Everyone in our group was polite about the food because they knew that I picked this place... but I could tell that everyone wasn't thrilled about the food or experience. Though... it seems they have quite a following with the line out the door and constant phone orders coming in. So... not sure what I was missing. ?? I won't be coming back though.

Pros: Large menu, Interesting decor and music, Huge following
Cons: Poor service, Pricey food, Not very healthy or tasty
DawnOfTheRent
DawnOfTheRent

Didn't care for it

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

We were in town and trying out a few restaurants, I ordered their big vegan burger, it wasn't that tasty and fell apart as I ate it. If it was in a smaller town as it's own vegy restaurant, I'd go back, but since there are many other options... Meh.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good junk food

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2011

All I have to say is thank goodness for Veg 'N Out and their later hours (open until 10PM). We arrived in San Diego late on Friday night and I was fortunate that this place was open (my Happycow app showed everything else closing at 9PM). We got our food to-go, so I can't comment too much on the restaurant/service, so I'll just talk about the food. I ordered the Ultimate Vegan Burger consisting of their homemade veg patty, sprouts, cucumber, tomatoes, pickles, onions, Vegenaise, and Follow Your Heart Cheese. The burger was HUGE (it was almost like two burgers in one) and it came with an equally as large side of fries. The burger was really good, although I'm not the biggest fan of the Follow Your Heart cheese, but it may have been much better with Daiya. The fries were also tasty, but I couldn't finish them, there was just too much food! Overall it's a good junk food place and I'd go back again.

jamber79
jamber79

nice place

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

The food was good, but the evening didn't go perfectly. The food was pretty expensive. got the meatball sandwich, was very good, but could have used a couple more meatballs and sauce for the price. my friend had the hash brown patty burger and loved it. The mint iced tea was very good. We were excited to order the chili, but they were out which was sad. The food came out really slowly, it took 30 minutes from the time we ordered to get our food, so don't be in a hurry if you go there. There is limited seating which was full when we got there. They have a nice patio, but it was very cold and there were no heaters on it. I saw some people sitting out there because there were no tables inside and they looked sad and cold. Would try again, but only for takeout.
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 19, 2009:
Went again, and service was much faster this time, went earlier and there were free tables, though they were full by the time we left. Corn dog was good, soup could have used some more seasoning and wedge fries weren't crispy enough. Still really enjoyed it though.
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 19, 2009

Pros: food, extensive menu
Cons: prices, way too slow
silver_smidge
silver_smidge

Absolutely amazing!

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

My husband and I were recently in San Diego, before we left we researched some vegetarian places and I am so glad we came across Veg 'N Out. The food was amazing! Great quality, fresh and the menu has so much to choose from we didn't know where to start. We ending up sharing a Ranchero Burger with potato wedges. Meal was definently big enough for 2 people to share as we found American food sizes are quite large vs Australia sizes.

Would definently recommend to anyone, even those who aren't vege or vegan.

Pros: Great variety, Fresh, Homey feeling
Cons: Distance from city/central areas
Shrempff
Shrempff

Veg n' it for the money

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2010

I've been frequenting this establishment for about 4 years now, and have tried just about every item on their menu. I've never really had any complaints about the food itself, but the establishment seems phony to me. For example, you walk in, and there are "GO VEGAN" and "DON'T EAT US" stickers all over the front counter; yet they charge you an additional 75 cents to make anything on the menu vegan, even if there isn't even cheese/dairy on the item. I've asked and they said it goes toward paying the extra cost vegan bread or veganaise. If they really cared about people "GOING VEGAN" why wouldn't they use vegan bread or mayo anyway? It isn't any more expensive, and then to charge you extra just for being a vegan is stupid. It may sound like nitpicking over 75 cents, but it really just comes down to the concept. Why would you punish someone for going vegan if you really cared about it? If you wanted to encourage people to go vegan, wouldn't you give them 75 cents off?

Aside from that, the employees eat peperoni pizza and grilled chicken inside the building on their breaks. The manager/owner has had loud conversations with employees, which confirmed the money hungry attitude.

I understand the idea behind opening a business is to make money and succeed, but putting on a phony front to do so is unfair to the Vegan community. Veg N' Out has great food, but their ethical worth comes off a bit short.

Pros: Good food and large portions, Great location, Fairly priced if you're not vegan
Cons: You will be charged extra for being vega, Money hungry
malloneek
malloneek

Good Food!

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2009

What a great place, lots and lots of options, I loved it. It was noisy and busy and so a long wait, but the food was great!

erbavore
erbavore

WOW

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2009

When it comes to food, Veg N' Out has almost perfected their burger recipes. In particular the T-Bird Burger is one of the best combination's of food ever put together. It needed a slight modification with BBQ sauce (requested from the kitchen) and, cayenne pepper and pepper(from the table.)

The sweet/tart flavors of the BBQ sauce and hash browns with a hint of heat from the cayenne pepper to enhance the overall effect have the T-bird flavors melting in your mouth, while the texture of the crunchy hash browns and the softness of the avocado mesh in harmony. UMMM, YUMMMY... Whoever created this recipe should go in the "Veggie Goodness Hall of Fame"

The girl who sold me the T-bird claimed she invented it. She was very helpful and sweet.

The only complaint of the restaurant is the Chipolte sauce. Its made with Ranch dressing. Its a shame when Vegan Ranch can be made easily. This one issue takes away about half of the burger options away for vegans.

Pros: taste of food, helpfulness of staff
Cons: onion rings aren't vegan, limited choice of vegan burgers
Mimi710
Mimi710

I was not impressed

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2008

I ordered the Bali Bowl which was a special up on the board behind the cash register the day that I ate here. I wasn't feeling any of the vegan burger options. I was not impressed with this meal. It sounded good - a bowl of seasoned rice, steamed veggies, and tofu in some kind of a sauce. The rice was cooked in an interesting seasoning but was at the bottom of the bowl so you didn't immediately taste it. The tofu needed to be cooked longer and needed more seasoning. I asked for soy sauce and they didn't have any. The vegetables were steamed but not mixed in with the rice. They should have tasted this special before they served it. There was nothing "special" about it.(To be fair though - I just worked at a vegan restaurant as a chef for the last few months which definetely makes me more critical.) The salad that came with my special was bland and I did not eat it. I also ordered the potato wedges since I was really hungry when I went. They were too hot too eat when I first got them. Though they were impressive in size - and in the fact that they were wedges of fresh potato they were in dire need of seasonings. (Like the fries at Native Foods or at Pure Luck in LA.) Everyone else that was there seemed to be enjoying their food, but I thought it was mediocre. Also, I didn't see much in the way of a dessert selection though I wouldn't have been inclined to have bought dessert from them after my unsatifying lunch. If you are looking for a cheap and satisfying vegan meal while in San Diego go to the People's Co-op in Ocean Beach or to Nature's Express which is an all vegan fast-food place. The one good thing about this place is the location on University near Balboa Park/the zoo. My Aunt and I had spent the day at the zoo which is extremely un-vegan friendly. But still, if you are starving and near the zoo there are other vegan places close by - and lots of other restaurants that could easily cater to vegans.Don't sit at the table with the view of the kitchen if you want to see staff touching vegetables/other food items without wearing gloves. I hope that this isn't a normal practice for them and maybe I just happened to see them the one time they forgot. On the plus side, the prices seemed to be reasonable.

Pros: near the zoo , reasonable prices
Cons: special was bland and not special, medicore/unimpressive food, better for vegetarians than for vegans
Guest
Guest

Veg is IN

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2008

This is really a nice place for vegans and vegetarians.. restaurant is owned by a lady and she also helps poor and needy people around the world. Nice place for people like me who travel around the world in search of knowledge and eat only vegetarian food...Good place to spend some time in peace with the good food served.. awesome service..

Pros: Food, Service, Quality
Cons: cleaniness
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Nice Vegan Dive

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2008

The loaded Vegan Hot dog - the vegan cheese is really good. they just kind of toss some vegan follow your heart on top (cold). The ultimate vegan burger is the best. Very friendly service.

Pros: hotdog, ultimate vegan, nice service
Cons: a dive
Vegan Mom
Vegan Mom

Very Good!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2008

We went to this place on a recent trip to San Diego. I had the Very Vegan Burger. It was REALLY good and extrememly filling. My friend had the BBQ Chicken (not vegan) and he really liked it. This is a nice, small, friendly place. We both highly recommend it. We plan to return next time we are in San Diego.

Pros: filling, lots of vegan options, friendly service
Cons: not completely vegan
vduplessis
vduplessis

yummy & indulgent

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2008

don't eat here if you are on a diet!

burger joint fair- I had a vegan chili cheese dog & sweet potato fries. it is all yummy & greasy & full of fat & I LOVED IT-- just because I am a vegan doesn't mean I'm a wheatgrass juice chuggin' health nut!

bring your omni friends!!!

Pros: great food, groovy vibe
Cons: random location
vegan-esce
vegan-esce

Veg'N Out is an ADDICTION!!

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2008

This place is soooooo great -- we just went vegan a few months ago and found this GREAT place to get luscious veggie burgers!!!
Everything is vegetarian and most can be made vegan so, it's a "dream state" for me!
Everytime we've been here everything has been large, super FRESH and absolutely yummy! Big ol' burger with fresh tomato, red-leaf lettuce, onion if you want -- get the green salad with the balsamic and get your sweetie to get the sweet potato rounds -- the only improvement would be if they made them a bit crunchie. But, I bet I can order them that way because everyone that works here is super nice. (I don't know who keeps writing on here that they feel like they're bothering the workers but, sounds kinda paranoid to me - do you take your zinc and b12??!)
We have to go here at least once a week - call ahead and pick 'em up if you don't want to wait!

Pros: ALL Vegetarian, Lotsa vegan options, FRESH
vicklesworth
vicklesworth

Great Burger

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2008

I had the island girl burger and it was fantastic. I'm always apprehensive of getting a burger cause I don't want some gardenburger out of the freezer, and that's exactly what i didn't get. This patty was homemade and fantastic. The bun was whole wheat, soft, and warm. I was bummed that there weren't more vegan options (I really wanted some potato salad). I got the sweet potato chips instead. They were ok, not great. Make sure you clarify that you want vegan. Beware,the tempura isn't vegan! It uses egg whites.

Pros: great burger
Cons: not enough vegan options
TucsonxRob
TucsonxRob

expected more

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2008

nothing about this place was too impressive. the food was pretty bland and the staff seemed a bit bothered by us being there, but maybe they were just having a bad day. its rather expensive for what it is. i probably wont be going back.

Pros: plenty of vegan options
Cons: bland food, pricey
Erika
Erika

Really good, only a few improvements needed

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2007

We've eaten at Veg 'N Out for a while now. We've just recently visited about 5 times in the past month and have had a positive experience everytime. I usually have the 30th street made vegan and I love it. It tastes like a real indulgence. And I know everything on it's not homemade, but when you run a restaurant it's hard to make everything from scratch. I like that the buns on four out of five occassions have been really large and fresh tasting. The other time the bun was a lot smaller and not as fresh. The only recommendations that I would make is to cut the french fries alot smaller. The wedges, I think, are raw when they go in the oil and as a result come out hard, not fully cooked and not crispy at all, but kinda soggy. Also, it would be great if the sides, like potato salads could be made vegan so that there is more of a choice for vegans. Maybe half with vegenaise and another batch with regular? Otherwise, I'm happy with the service and the quality of the food I've had there and everyone else we've taken has been impressed.

PH0ENIX
PH0ENIX

Fast vegetarian food

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2007

One of the few vegetarian options for late dining (open until 10pm Friday & Saturday). We ordered the Avocado tempura (good), chili (delicious), Very Vegan (not vegan by default, surprisingly), a Rasta(?) burger, and carrot cake (sold out, we got chocolate cake instead). The cucumber salad that came with my sandwich wasn't to my taste, but I enjoyed everything else.

Pros: Value, Menu options, Open late on weekends
Cons: Location, Cleanliness, Parking
Ladywaters
Ladywaters

Veg-n-out

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2007

We have been to the place several times. Each time we said we weren't going to go back. The service is horrible-everytime we order it seems as if we are bothering the person at the counter. The service is slow and sometimes our food was wrong. We waited about 25 minutes for our order once. A few times they were out of food and we couldn't get what we wanted. It's not cheap either. They have a great idea but need some improvement.

Cons: staff, slow service, expensive
vixyash
vixyash
  • non-vegetarian

Yummy Veg Food in SD!

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2006

Been to this place a few times now and it's always very tasty. Nice large portions at reasonable prices. The Very Vegan sandwich is amazing and a *must try*! Excellent mint iced tea too.

The service is lacking at times and tends to be slow. Although I'm not a vegetarian (just love vegetarian options) I hear that the place isn't very strict, so don't expect that if you go.

Pros: Delicious, Large Portions, Great Value
Cons: Slow Service, Order at Counter

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Veg 'N Out: