Extensive menu specializing in South Indian food (eg dosas) but also serves a range of North Indian and Indian Chinese dishes. Small, comfortable space with 2nd-floor dining. Serves alcohol and allows smoking at dinner. Vegans must be careful to ask what contains dairy. Open Mon-Sat and may close on Sun. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Indian, Beer/Wine

Dominika87
Dominika87

Tasty indian food!

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2014

Great Indian restaurant with many vegan options. Staff is very helpful (plus Japanese with Indian accent is so kawaii ^^).
The food I ordered was spicy, but very tasty.
I you happen to be near Ueno you should definitely try this place!

Pros: helpful staff, tasty food, big portions for a reasonable price
MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

wonderful Indian restaurant

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

The only real "problem" with Indian restaurants in Tokyo is that there are so many delicious, authentic ones that I can't fit them all into my rotation! Veg Kitchen is another regular spot for me. As another reviewer mentioned, it would be really nice if Veg Kitchen had opened up in another part of town away from Vege Herb Saga but both places have their pros and cons so I'll continue to visit both. Veg Kitchen has quite an extensive menu and a pleasant interior. My first time, I had the masala paneer dosa, the veg biriyani, and a Hyderabadi baigan (eggplant) curry. On another visit, I had some veg kebabs with dried fruit in them and some homemade almond ice cream. The dosa, Hyderabadi curry, almond ice cream, and veg kebabs were phenomenal. The rice dishes were good although for those, I prefer Vege Herb Saga's.
On my first visit, the restaurant was busy but my food came out quickly. The second time, my friend and I were the only customers and it took an hour to receive our food so I'm not sure what was going on there.
Chefs are happy to prepare meals for vegans, Jains, Oriental vegetarians (no onions/garlic), etc. so please don't hesitate to ask. Free Wifi available. Overall a highly recommended restaurant.

Pros: large variety, reasonable prices, friendly, helpful staff
Cons: food on the salty side, sometimes slow, another part of town would be better
JesseD
JesseD

Great Indian Food with Friendly Owner

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

This restaurant is owned and run by a former chef from Veggie Herb Saga. When I heard he was opening his own restaurant I hoped it would be a large, posh restaurant in another area of Tokyo, so that the two South Indian vegetarian restaurants would complement each other. So I was a bit disappointed that he opened it a few minutes walk away, essentially competing for the same Jain (or other Indian) clientele. Of course this probably won't concern the Tokyo customer, but since they're so close I might as well compare and contrast them.

On the positive, the Veg Kitchen is much more comfortable, being a first and second floor instead of a cramped basement. It has more staff, and food comes out faster. And you're guaranteed your own seat with the party you brought (a good or a bad thing depending on what you want, as many of my most interesting conversations with strangers in Tokyo have been at Veggie Herb Saga). Staff are equally friendly and welcoming at both.

As the first reviewer pointed out, the owner is careful to explain what's vegan, however it's necessary to ask and make sure, whereas vegan items are labelled on the menu at Veggie Herb Saga.

Where Veggie Herb Saga wins hands down is on the quality of the food. I found my only Chinese dish at the Veg Kitchen oily and salty, and even the dosa and curries were a little on the over-done side, but still fine and delicious. So it's very good, and would be a life saver anywhere else in Japan than up the road from Veggie Herb Saga.

My theory is that because Veggie Herb Saga order fresh spices from India, which they roast themselves (I've seen it) their food is probably the best I've had anywhere (including India). I think the Veg Kitchen uses standard curry powders/mixes (like virtually everywhere else) so just doesn't compare for taste, but it's still a very pleasant place to enjoy a delicious South Indian meal.

Prices are fairly similar, but the Veggie Kitchen has a wider range, including Chinese Indian dishes. It's also sometimes open on Sunday, and may have more reliable hours (but it's too early to say since it hasn't been open long).

Of course I visited soon after the Veg Kitchen opened, and the quality of their food may improve with time and eventually reach VHS. But for now Veggie Herb Saga has the best food hands down, and the Veg Kitchen wins on venue. I hope both restaurants will do well and keep serving up South Indian veg food!

Pros: vegan-friendly, friendly staff, pleasant interior
Cons: food not as good as nearby Veggie HS.

HiraHalal
HiraHalal

all vegetarian. awesome service

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2014

This has so far been the best restaurant I've visited in my two weeks in Tokyo! Not just because of the food, but because of the service. This restaurant is vegetarian but the friend dining with us was vegan. The owner went out of the way to make a couple of dishes without using milk (customizing dishes is a very RARE treat in Japan). I am definitely visiting again. Well worth the trip, and decent pricing too!

Pros: service, chai, food

Dear Owner and Manager of Veg Kitchen: