Modern, stylish two level restaurant serving vegan & gluten-free food and daily lunch special. Has a small take-out section selling spreads, jams, and baked goods all made in-house. Opened in Jan 2013. Reportedly no longer all vegan June 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Polish, International, Western, Bakery, Gluten-free, Take-out

First Review by J-Veg
Vera Peres
Vera Peres

A bit overrated

3 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2014

I went to VEG deli a couple of times since it opened, always with great expectations, and only their chocolate brownie and juices have not let me down.
I have had the burger, bagel, gnocchi and ravioli and they were always very small portions and a bit tasteless...
The restaurant itself is really lovely!

Pros: Desserts and smoothies, Location
Cons: Small portions, Disappointing flavours
kuni
kuni

amazing food but expensive

4 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2014

Seeing as this was the only vegan real 'restaurant' in the city, we decided to check it out. Upon seeing the menu we discovered they also had dishes with egg and cheese, so we were quite disappointed about that. Most of the starters are not vegan right now, the main dishes are however.

Like other reviewers said, the menu and quality of food is fantastic. The food tastes great and is very creative. I think they try to cook as seasonal and local as possible, judging by what we got served, but I can't be sure.

The atmosphere is nice too, with a white wooden interior spread out over two floors. It can be considered a bit more fancy than other veg places in the city, which the audience confirms.

However this brings along some disadvantages; the prices are ok it seems, but the portions are really quite small. That makes the food expensive, especially since most of the ingredients seem to be local.

The staff is friendly and helpful; the waiter who served us had to come extra on his free day, but didn't seem bothered at all about that and patiently answered all our questions.

3.5*

Pros: very tasty food, nice ambience, restaurant feel, not a cafe
Cons: expensive, not vegan
krismausser
krismausser
  • non-vegetarian

Vegan Foodie Paradise

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2014

I can't say enough about this quaint restaurant with an ambience that would be as à propos in NYC or Amsterdam as it would be in Warsaw. A delicious, fresh menu invites with both new spins on traditional dishes as well as contemporary vegan favourites. Prices are incredibly reasonable and the staff are super friendly. Felt like a home away from home.

Pros: price, variety, 100% gluten free

Robby Lincoln
Robby Lincoln

Excellent vegan oasis in Warsaw

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2014

I ate at Veg Deli twice during the UN climate-change conference in December 2013 in Warsaw, and I was lucky to find it. Very friendly service, terrific food. The staff were flexible in customizing the menu. (I basically wanted mounds of fresh cooked vegetables and quinoa.) The space is quite small, but comfortable enough and well-designed.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 23, 2014

Pros: great food, Friendly service
hack_man
hack_man

Just Beautiful

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

Absolutely delightful place set on two levels located in a scenic part of the city down the hill from the Old Town. The food is imaginative and pretty much gourmet such as tomato and coconut soup, vegetable and tofu shashlik and butter nut squash curry with soya. I would describe the decor as chic and laid back. There is a prominent white theme going on. An open kitchen that oozes warmth with friendly staff that aren't pushy in any way at all. A bit on the pricey side compared to other veg places in Warsaw (18 - 26 PLN for main courses) but still well within budget for a great relaxing experience. To do the whole 3 course and wine shebang it would set you back in the region of 20 GBP which is astonishing for such quality. I instantly liked this place on my first visit and on discovering that it now serves beers and wines on my second visit I absolutely love it. Sophistication without pretension. Pure genius in Warsaw.

Pros: stylish, good food, chic
Cons: small portions
annabrowne2
annabrowne2

Beautiful experience at veg deli

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

My boyfriend and I are both vegetarian and he has coeliac disease so we were really happy when we discovered veg deli. The food was delicious and reasonably priced, the staff were really friendly and spoke excellent english, and the owner of the cafe even helped us locate another shop which stocked gluten free food! Highly recommend :)

vegmish
vegmish

Best vegan place since Mono in Glasgow

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

And actually pretty much gorgeous vegan dining. I note that some have criticised portion size. I filled up perfectly on really great tasting food: turnip soup, dumplings and the most amazing peach crumble with cherry and vodka sauce. This is my first visit to Warsaw and I will be coming back with a friend largely to come back to VEG Deli.

"Cost" is a subjective thing I think. In terms of value for money this was exceptionally good. Objectively, the above dinner with a fab bottle of Obolon beer (takes me back to Kiev) was about £14.

English speaking, smiling waitress and an English language menu. No spirits or wine but great bottled beers.

I hope you go and enjoy as much as I did.

Pros: Fabulous vegan food, Great bottled beers, Excellent staff and ambiance
Trzmiel
Trzmiel

Not really convinced...

2 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

We visited this place today and were not really convinced. Although the quality and taste of our meals were quite good, it was very expensive for this small portions.

I had the ravioli filled with spinach and celery puree. My friend tried fried oyster mushrooms with sweet potato fries and salad. Additionally, we had a rhubarb-apple juice, which was really good.
Unfortunately, the portions are very small. I had 6 raviolis and just a bit of puree. I paid about 25 PLN. That's a lot - and it felt a bit like just having a starter!

The place itself was nicely furnished. The staff could be more friendly. The waitress didn't even smile once.

All in all we were a bit disappointed, especially because we thought that this place would be a hidden gem. I would not recommend it.

Pros: food is tasty, nice interior
Cons: expensive, small portions, unfriendly staff
JeremieKarlsson
JeremieKarlsson

nice place and super tasty food

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

I've been there twice and have been really pleased every time. The staff is nice and helpful. The menu offers a great variery of nice and original dishes. Many things I never tried before. The starters are really generous and could be enough as a main course. There's no english menu, which makes it difficult for ordering.

Pros: tasty, original, nice staff
Cons: no english menu
gazik
gazik

i guess too fancy for me

2 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

small and pricey portions. not that tasty either. atmosphere and staff are great but restaurants are mostly about the food - sorry.
great almond pie tea!

Pros: staff
Cons: expensive, small portions, not that tasty
SimonaSignorelli
SimonaSignorelli

best vegan place in warsaw

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

very nice in summer, good food, nice presentation and helpful staff. portions a bit small and price a bit more expensive than other places in the city but it worth it. we have tried cold soup, ravoli with spinach and tofu, sexy burger, pirogi with cabbage and mushroom, carrot cake, creme brule and figs with wine. evrthg delicious !

skazzaks
skazzaks

Good Food

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

The quality of the food was very good. Like others have mentioned, the portions were a little bit small for the price.

Happy to see so many vegan places in Warsaw! Would go again!

Ophee
Ophee

Delicious and Lots of options!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

So good! Great atmosphere and neat location behind university. Kind of expensive though and the portions arent big. :/ Definitely more stuff I want to try :)

J-Veg
J-Veg

A MUST for vegans in/visiting Warsaw

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

Despite only being open for only two weeks [at the time of our visit], this place feels really warm and homely as soon as you walk through the door. As we found out, it's run by a (really friendly!) mum and daughter duo and it's clear to see that a lot of heart and soul has gone in to this place. It's sort of half way between a cafe and a restaurant, with a deli attached - the menu is written in chalk on the wall and you order at the till but food is brought over to your table.

With only 10 words of Polish between us, the owner kindly translated the whole menu into English for us We ordered a potato salad and a pumpkin salad to start, followed by traditional Polish stuffed cabbage leaves - everything was fresh and well-presented and very delicious. Our fresh ginger and lemon/orange infusion was also very warming - especially as the temperature was below -10°C outside! The highlight of the evening, however, was the cake - a thick slice of "cheese" cake made from pumpkin and tofu - it was like nothing I'd ever tasted before. So smooth and creamy yet very light and delicate. The chocolate ganache balls were also heavenly!

The staff here are wonderful - everything is done with a smile and you can tell they are very passionate about the food they serve.

The decor is a cool mix of modern and old - the walls are white but the art work hanging up means it definitely does not feel clinical. The candles and flowers also bring a lovely warmth to the place.

The location of this place is also really good, especially if you're staying at Hostel Helvetia. It's located in the university district near the university library and there are a handful of decent bars in the area to go to after you've filled your belly at VEG.

This place is a MUST for any vegetarian/vegan going to Warsaw!

Pros: Lovely, warm, friendly staff, Delicious and creative food, Great location

Dear Owner and Manager of VEG Deli: