Vaust Braugaststatte Berlin

Vegetarian restaurant and micro-brewery established spring 2012 and became all-vegan in Dec 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, German, Mediterranean, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Pestalozzistrasse 8
Berlin, Germany 10625
+49-3054599160

Open Tue-Sat 5pm-11pm, closed Sun-Mon.

First Review by blackcatemma
Sternanis
Sternanis

Nice Restaurant!

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2014

Really cozy yet spacious restaurant with great atmosphere. Doesnt have so many options on the menu but all are prepared seasonally and tasty. Good home brewed beer and homemade liquor as well! You can find the current menu with price (8-15 euro per menu) on the website.

Pros: Taste, Atmosphere, Friendly Staff
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

LOVE this place

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

I really did enjoy our meal here- the restaurant looks great, it's cosy, friendly staff...I love the fact they have a short seasonal menu- only supplying meals based on local ingredients they can work with. Fantastic! I think humans as a whole need to stop wanting everything all the time and live more like this (myself included).

A traditional menu which is great for a vegan tourist- the food was fantastic with lots of good flavours going on. Definitely our first stop when we go back to Berlin!

Pros: everything!
Cons: It's not near my home :(
amy89
amy89

Great vegan food in friendly restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

Great vegan choice. Limited menu but what is on the choice is well done. (I had read that this place was a microbrewery bar serving food like pizza and burgers. That's not the case. It's a sit down restaurant- we booked a table in advance- and priced like one!)

As visitors to Berlin we enjoyed the chance to try German favourites such as currywurst, done vegan!

We shared two mains- a sauerkraut with dumplings and ravioli. Both were tasty and good portions.

Chocolate ganache cake was lovely and a nice vegan treat.

Service was very friendly. Relaxed and relatively slow but sufficiently attentive and accommodating of our total lack of German!

Would definitely recommend this place for the food, service and beer although it is quite expensive (c. 60euros for 2x starter, 2x mains and drinks).

Pros: food, service
Cons: price
rears
rears

Excellent vegan food

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

This cosy restaurant in 'Mitte' offers excellent vegan food with a German twist. Most dishes on the menu are traditional German but all of them are veganized. Choices are quite limited but there's still more than enough to choose from. We had the ravioli, and tiramisu and chocolate pie as dessert. Both of them were excellent. The staff is friendly and they speak English.

Please note: it's not possible to pay with a credit card or a foreign debit card! So take cash with you.
Updated from previous review on Friday March 14, 2014

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere
Cons: Choices

Rio93
Rio93

Lovely place and food!

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

Although there is not much to choose from on the Wintermenu my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed the food! We were served a complimentary bread basket and I had the Ravioli main whish was very tasty but in my opinion needed more sauce over it as a pose to the oil that had been drizzled on it. My boyfriend who is not vegan but tries to eat vegan with me as much as he can, enjoyed his sauerkraut and dumpling main more that I enjoyed my food!

The only disappointment was that they had run out of chocolate ganache cake by the time we ordered dessert and so as a vegan that aims to eat mostly raw and healthy I was unlucky not to have a treat! We instead ordered the polish tiramisu which had some nice elements but I did not enjoy it very much as I am not a fan of boozey desserts.

I would definitely visit again but would instead order the sauerkraut main and make sure that there was a slice of chocolate cake with my name on it!

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff, Enjoyable for nonvegans
Cons: Not much choice
angdep
angdep

Worth a visit

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2014

Vaust serves excellent homebrewed beers (Pilsner and Dark) and food. The onion quiche and currywurst were excellent, and so was the chocolate ganache cake. This place was definitely a treat, not a place you'll want to eat at often, because although good, it's not the healthiest food.

Pros: Good value, Good food, Friendly staff
Cons: Small portions
JanneMonsenTveit
JanneMonsenTveit

One of the best restaurants I've been to

5 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2013

I went her with my boyfrined and his parents (none of them are vegan) and we all had a great time. We decided to share a lot of meals and it was a good idea. Everything was good, and it was great to taste different things, from vegan currywurst to "beer cake" (more like pizza) and great alcohol as well.

The waiter was lovely as well, and the atmosphere was amazing! It felt like a "normal" restaurant, and not a green hippie world.. Which is good for someone, but not everyone. It was just a great place to bring family for a nice meal. I will definitely go back the next time I'm in Berlin!

I think everything except one or two dishes were vegan as well, and they were just different versions of vegan courses, so I didn't feel like I missed out on anything on the menu.

Pros: Amazing food, Good staff and atmosphere, Decent price
Cons: Some dishes were a bit small
Caucus
Caucus

Best Vegan restaurant in Berlin

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Ambiance, food and service was superior at a reasonable price. A must discover in Berlin.

Pros: Service, Ambiance, Quality
Cons: Limited number of offerings
MarkusBeyer
MarkusBeyer

Great place for vegan food AND homebrew in Berlin

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

I recommend this place. Great vegan food, great homebrew bear (blond and dark), great home-made liqueurs, really likeable owner family.

Pros: Vegan Food, homebrew bear, home-made liqueurs
hilaryr
hilaryr

Great vegan food, upscale but homey setting

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

I was visiting Berlin with some friends who are vegan and vegetarian, and we found Vaust through HappyCow. I'm so glad that we did! It was our best meal in Berlin by far. We ordered a bunch of different things (small plates, main dishes, and desserts) to share, and every one of them was delicious. Our favorites were the currywurst, the "small snack" (bread with amazing apple-onion spread, the brewery cake (which was really more like a pizza), and the tagliatelle. The home-brewed beers were also very good. We were really impressed by the fact that every single element of the meal was home made, from the bread to the pasta to the liqueurs to the vegan cheese. The restaurant also had a really nice ambiance, upscale without being pretentious, and very warm and cozy and intimate. The service was excellent. The owner was super friendly and very informative. We almost felt like we were eating at a friend's home. I'm not vegetarian, but I would eat at Vaust all the time if I lived in Berlin! (It's also worth noting that although the restaurant is billed as just being vegetarian, almost everything on the menu was actually vegan.)

kulwant
kulwant

Very good

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

I agree with previous reviews delicious food, and great home brewed beer.

Pros: Foor and Beer
J-Veg
J-Veg

An interesting concept for veg*n dining

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

Despite thinking we were pretty clued-up on the vegan restaurant scene in Berlin, Vaust somehow escaped our attention until recently. We decided to visit on a Friday night and were surprised by the location and atmosphere. Often, veg*n restaurants in Berlin tend to be modern, trendy and/or alternative. It's not clear whether it's intentional, but Vaust has certainly broken this mould and is extremely traditional in decoration and feel and is located in a very affluent part of town.

As for the food, it is a very modern take on traditional German cuisine with many of the dishes being being quite creative. We were impressed by our (100% vegan) meal (described at the end of the review if you're interested). The lemonade that they served was great and despite the huge variety of wine and beer on offer, I only had chance to try the Vaust dark beer, which was excellent. The menu states that majority of the food is organic and most of the options are clearly marked as being suitable for vegans or that it is possible for it to be prepared vegan.

The price was certainly not cheap but the food was of really high quality and therefore was good value in my opinion. The service was also very good and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new in Berlin. I could also imagine that it would be a good place to take parents or older relatives.

Our meal: "Berliner Antipasti" to start - home-pickled gherkin, parsnip carrot and kohlrabi served with beautiful (home-made?) bread and rapeseed oil. For mains, my wife had Kohlrabi schnitzel served with a chicory and orange ragout and a green purée and I had stuffed Savoy cabbage (it was described as roulade but I'm not sure what it was stuffed with some kind of cereal, perhaps spelt) with red wine sauce/gravy and what I think was baby new potatoes (Drillinge kartoffeln) - the Savoy cabbage roulade was particularly delicious. For desert, we both had caramelised pancakes served with peach and vegan whipped creamâ.

Pros: Delicious traditional yet creative menu, Lovely romantic atmosphere, Very friendly service
Cons: Not cheap, but arguably good value
bhukit-tima
bhukit-tima

Great addition to veg*n options in Berlin

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2013

The Vaust is the first veg'n "Braugaststätte" (sort of pub) I know.
Wolfgang the owner brews his own beer - according to my wife (I don't drink any beer) it's very delicious!
The atmosphere is very relaxed and traditional, lots of wood.
The menu is quite extensive and there's also an extensive offering of daily specials.
95% of the menu is vegan, the remaining 5% vegetarian but all can be ordered to be vegan.
The food tastes great and is prepared and served in creative ways.
They not only make their own beer but have a very special tasty whole grain bread (using some ingredients of the beer brewing process) and they also make their own various kinds of special salts.
Highly recommended place in Berlin!

Pros: Friendly, own beer, taste
linpa
linpa

Great restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2012

Really intereting and delicious food, and great home brewed beer. The owner is also super friendly and helpful. This is a great place!

Eloi
Eloi

Highly recommended

5 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2012

To celebrate a birthday a little differently, we spend a saturday in the restaurant brewing beer while learning about the process from the very friendly and gracious host, nibbling away and some delicious food and trying some old and some new beers. The latest one mulled beer was to die for. The Braufladen also comes highly recommended. The atmosphere is homey, the food is delicious and affordable.

Pros: incredible food, homey, warm atmosphere, good value for money
HeffideVeganas
HeffideVeganas

New restaurant in Charlottenburg

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

Very fine and delicious dishes, one of the very few vegetarian restaurants in Charlottenburg, offers a lot for vegans.

wildfang
wildfang

Only real veg* pub in Berlin

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

Oh, what a find. The service, the atmosphere, music, interior, food! I have been looking for a real vegetarian pub in Berlin for a long time and finally found it. It's absolutely worth several visits. Also conveniently located. Only negative point were the prices - 8€ for a Flammkuchen that still leaves you a bit hungry is kind of expensive.

Pros: friendly staff, great atmosphere, good food
Cons: high prices
vi0let
vi0let

Vaust Braugaststatte Berlin

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

We ate twice at Vaust during our vacation in Berlin (June 2012). The menu was mostly vegan, with dishes clearly marked as such. A three-course menu cost 18€ (before the drinks). In addition to having their own beer, there were also liqueurs and juices that were perfect on a hot day.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff (good English spoken), reasonable prices
Cons: Visa card not accepted
micu
micu

The Vaust Braugaststatte really *is* a gem

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

Although the Vaust opened just recently, I have been there many times already. It is such a nice thing to have a rustic veggie place in Berlin with this wonderful homebrew, the delicious tarte flambée and even vegan currywurst. The main dishes are also fantastic. The couple, who runs this restaurant, is really nice.

I simply love it --- 5 happy cows from me.

Pros: Damn good homebrew, Wonderful tarte flambée, Vegan Currywurst
cmayr
cmayr

A place to take your parents to

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

The Vaust has recently opened in the Savignyplatz neighbourhood in Charlottenburg. The restaurant is very cosy and the interior design very classic, the staff is friendly and helpful, they even brew their own beer, bake their own bread, so expectations were high.
The food (we took the 3 course menu) was of very high quality (asparagus...yummy!) there are plenty of vegan options, the Vaust is a very nice addition to the growing number of vegan-friendly places in Berlin.
It's not a burger place and not crunchy-granola, so you pay a bit more (18€ for 3 courses), but it is well worth the money.

Pros: super tasty, friendly, nice interior
blackcatemma
blackcatemma

a Hidden gem

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2012

lovely place, friendly staff, great menu, with plenty of options for vegans. the menu's are in German, however the staff speak excellent English and helped us order. they even did a vegan version of the currywurst! Only problem was it wasn't open at lunch time.

Dear Owner and Manager of Vaust Braugaststatte Berlin: