Vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring North Indian cuisine. Multi-course fixed-price menu (approx. $30), large portions but no takeaway. Relaxing environment. Reservations recommended. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet

First Review by cassius
krissimi
krissimi

I love this Indian food restaurant!

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Great appetizer spread! Whenever I go, I get the prix fixe and it never disappoints... I wish there was a Vatan in Toronto. Very generous amount of food.

Pros: location, food options, service and atmosphere
Cons: nowhere near toronto
Astonangel
Astonangel

Can't go wrong

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2013

Good old fashion home cooking - a full thali and no fuss with a menu - what better way to eat out!

Pros: Good value, Good food, Generous portions for vegetarians!
Cons: Little on dark side inside
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Good but not as good as before

3 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2009

I have been here a number of times in the last couple of years and it was always an absolute "must-do" thing in NYC when I was there. I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed this last time (June 2009).

For one thing, the price went up by like 50%. It is now $31 plus 18% mandatory gratuity. Expect to pay $40 each before drinks. The non-alcoholic drink options are virtually non-existant. They have renovated and, although the place is still charming and the new bathrooms are crazy chic, the layout is worse than before and overall I find it uglier.

On to the good parts. It is all-you-can-eat and your server continues to bring out several courses to your table each with a number of small portions of varied and delicious options. You can have it vegetarian or vegan, I would say probably 75% of the dishes are vegan so you don't miss out on too much but be sure to specify at the beginning. The mango chutney is absolutely incredible. You will definitely leave feeling stuffed.

In the past when I have gone, the waitress was very attentive, offering more of the dishes we liked most and making sure we were totally satisfied. This last time (June 2009), it seemed like we were just a cog in the factory line. To get more of something, we had to call at our server's disappearing back and make a big deal of it. At one point, we asked for more baby samosa's and she eventually returned with three of them! These things are delicious but the size of a teaspoon and there were five of us at the table.

I used to love this place but I am not sure I will be so desperate to come back again. Maybe our waitress just had a horrible day or something, but with a mandatory 18% tip on a $200 bill, I expected a lot more.

All in all though, still a wonderful place that will leave you full and happy.

Pros: Delicious, All you can eat, Chic bathrooms
Cons: Expensive
Kell Bell
Kell Bell

All Around Great Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2009

Most Indian restaurants that I've been to seem to be lacking either in service, atmosphere, decor, or taste. It's always one or the either. Luckily, Vatan lacks nothing. The food is plentiful (make sure you're hungry!)and tasty, the service is friendly and fast, and the decor is something to see!

Pros: great food, healthy, large portions
cassius
cassius

Amazing, but be VERY hungry!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2006

The food here is impeccably prepared. Divine north Indian food. I can't say enough about the quality. However, the portions are SO LARGE that I cannot imagine being able to finish even half of what they give you, and they do not allow you to take anything home. (Why?) So it did seem wasteful at the end, and I hate wasting food. Next time I go there I will make sure I am very very hungry (and maybe try to sneak some tupperware in my purse!)

Pros: incredibly flavorful, pretty interior, excellent service
Cons: overly large portions, no doggy bags

Dear Owner and Manager of Vatan: