Van Hanh Vegetarian Restaurant

Offers a wide variety of Vietnamese vegetarian food according to Vietnam's Buddhist tradition - the restaurant is named for an eminent 10th century Vietnamese monk. Noodles, tofu, salads, mockmeats, dumplings, steamed buns, and Vietnamese dim sum. In addition to the menu, there are many dishes available in heated trays at the front of the store. March 2013 tried calling but staff did not speak English. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Take-out

First Review by hcatloved
DavidStolarz
DavidStolarz

My Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2012

The food here is tasty, wholesome and filling. Basically, the selections are vegetarian versions of traditional Vietnamese dishes. As far as I know, the food is vegan as well. I've been here several times and I always go away a happy customer. The restaurant itself has a nice, casual ambiance, too.
Updated from previous review on Friday June 22, 2012

Pros: Delicious Food, Reasonably Priced
Wall-E
Wall-E

To order and avoid

3 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2010

The Thai hot pot(lau Thai)was very good. The portion of vegetables and soup is very generous for two persons but you will have to order extra noodle on the side to finish the soup. Their take-outs in the front have a variety of choices which are fresh and cheap. They cook that every day. If you are dining in the evening near closing time, make sure you don't order any thing in the menu that are the same as the take-out counter. We ordered the sour soup (canh chua) and actually saw the server scooped the sour soup in the front counter and microwaved it. Unbelievable, we paid about 3 times more if we had taken it to-go. After that incident, we have not dine in except for the hot Thai soup. The take-out are still our favorite choices.

Pros: Good value, variety of choices, large portions
Cons: dine in service
Stardust
Stardust

Ok food. Not ok service

2 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2009

I ate here several times last year and after the last time, I told myself never to come back because of the bad service. On most of the occasions, the waitress kept hurrying me to pick my food when my fiance and I tried to decide what we wanted. Then, the last time we were there, we were completely ignored after the lady behind the cash register pointed us to a table. The restaurants was just a bit crowded, but not enough for them to overlook customers. So...we sat there and waited, and waited, and waited for exactly 20 minutes (which seem like an eternity when you're hungry) just to see if anyone would notice us. When no one came by to even offer us water, we realized that it was time for us to leave. We vow to never come back.

Pros: ok food, cheap
Cons: really bad service, bathroom is not very clean

malcontent
malcontent

Decent

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

Went there yesterday for lunch. They make pretty good vegetarian version of the the Vietnamese claypot fish. However, I noticed that there are no English translation or even simply a description of the dish so if you don't know vietnamese, you have no idea what it is. I also agree with the other reviewer about the service. When I first walked in they were friendly seeing that I was Asian, then the service turned kind of cold once they found out that I don't speak vietnamese. But I was there for the food really so I don't mind and I would come here again to try more dishes considering that they do seem to have a pretty large selection.

• malcontent malcontent

To clarify: There are no English translation on some of the dishes. Most of them do have it.

wade242
wade242

Great food

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2009

You don't come here for the ambiance, the service, or to chat with your server. You come here because it is the best vegetarian Vietnamese food around. And it's inexpensive and they're not skimpy on portions. Really, what more do you want?

The service is exactly what you normally get at a regular Asian restaurant, I can't fault them for that. No, the menu isn't all that descriptive, but just pick something and I'm sure you'll love it.

I'll admit that my gf speaks Vietnamese and that helps, but I've never had a problem ordering in English either. This place is a great way to try Vietnamese dishes that you can't find in vegetarian form anywhere else.

Oh yeah, the take-out food at the front is delicious and cheap. Grab some!

Pros: delicious, huge variety, good value
beerzuki
beerzuki

pho for me!

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

I admit that not being familiar with Vietnamese food I found the menu a little bit confusing, but I was very happy to play it safe and finally try Pho! I enjoyed it, (but maybe it was a little salty? also,i felt fine later but it could pay to ask about msg too). It was nice having the condiments on the table to mix and match with it. I got a take-away pack of three of the more colourful of the rice paper rolls (on the recommendation of the waiter who said they were the best choice), and I was very very happy with their flavour and freshness even when I ate them hours later. I found the staff pretty friendly and had no troubles with communication. It was fairly quiet and my food came quickly. The decor is pretty basic which I liked - a bit like real Vietnam! The kitchen looked nice and clean. A group of Vietnamese buddhist nuns were there at the same time as me which seemed like a good omen!

At $8.50 for the big bowl of pho and the rolls (I had a glass of water - not sure if I was charged for it?!), it was really good value.

Pros: great takeaway range, price, casual atmosphere
Cons: menu daunting for some
Guest
Guest

Forget about the language barrier

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2009

I don't think it's fair to rate a restaurant based on their lack of English, especially in an area where they don't usually speak it. The people here were still very friendly, and to me that's all that matters. My brother & I were immediately waited on & the food was AWESOME. He is a meat eater but was willing to try whatever I suggested, and he ended up loving the mican roti. I got the soy chicken with chili and lemongrass, which was delicious. They give you HUGE portions, but the prices are still super cheap, so you get a good deal there. One thing first-time diners should be aware of though is that many of the menu items are not described in great detail, so you either have to be very familiar with Vietnamese food or be willing to surprise yourself. They also have many prepared dishes up front. And no, they don't come back & check on you, but not all restaurants are disgustingly Americanized, and I find that charming.

Pros: huge portions, low prices, fast service
Cons: something yellow in my water!
Andrealv
Andrealv

Good food but don't come for service

3 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2008

I have been here a couple of times, the food is good and the prices are good, but don't expect them to be able to explain things to you or speak english. If you are willing to point to the items on the steam table to select your meal, this place would work for you. Don't come for the ambiance, come to pick up food to go.

Pros: prices
Cons: language barrier
seeUsoon
seeUsoon

Cheap food cheap service

3 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2008

Great selection of food... Too bad the people don't speak English and expect Bad service... Their main focus is at the take out... There's many selection at the take out. They have like a buffet layout and you point or tell them what you want... it's $3 and cheaper for an item. I would eat here more if the service wasn't so bad. The food are fresh and the portion are awesome... I prefer going down the street to Bo De which is similar but with the better service and more tasty plates/smoothies.

Pros: cheap, vegan, fresh
Cons: service, appeal
litano
litano

not very interesting

2 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I think this is mostly for Vietnamese diners, I am a vegetarian chef for 40 years. They spoke no English, menu was vague..

westcornersville
westcornersville

Great Food--If You Can Overlook the Quirks

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2007

I actually liked their food--lots of variety and large portion sizes. True...they charge 50 cents for a large glass of water (next time I go, I might try to bring my own--see if they object). However, they're quite affordable with their food--you'll be hard-pressed to spend more than $10 total per person. Both their main dishes (especially their numerous phos) and their appetizers are quite delicious. Don't let the language barrier be a problem (unless perhaps you have a major food allergy)--their menu was at least descriptive enough for me (one who doesn't speak Vietnamese). The only thing to be cautious with--if you go near closing time, they may be out of some of the items (so lunch is probably your best bet), and one time when I went they even closed early.

Pros: delicious food, excellent variety, large portions
Cons: inconsistent closing time, charge for tap water
hcatloved
hcatloved

I suppose it had potential to be good

2 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2007

Ok, so it would've been a lot better had vietnamese been my native language, or if I had someone who spoke vietnamese with me. They spoke minimal, and I mean MINIMAL english. They didn't even bring out our drinks we had ordered.. and yes, they do charge .50 for water.
We actually only settled for this place because we couldn't find the zen vegetarian restaurant that was actually not so far from there but yahoo maps had misled us. I don't think ill be going there again. The food was ok, but not enough to bring me back. I don't want to sound like an asshole about the english thing either (because I'm asian too and I grew up with my mom having an accent) butwhen I asked where the bank was (because they only took cash) they couldn't even tell me where it was..

Pros: price
Cons: so so food, non english speakingstaff, cash only

Dear Owner and Manager of Van Hanh Vegetarian Restaurant: