Vegan cafe, lifestyle and record store in the Northern Quarter. Offers sandwiches during the week, and specials at the weekend. All day breakfast on Sunday. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Western
88 Oldham St
Manchester, England M4 1LF
Closed now

Mon-Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm

First Review by CottageCupcakeCo
booklover84
booklover84

Best vegan junk food ever!

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2014

If you're looking for health food, then don't eat here.
If you want to stuff your face with burgers and cake, then definitely do. I love it.

Alyson
Alyson

Cool vegan fast food

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2014

If you like your fake burgers and hotdogs in a funky cool place, V Rev is for you! As well as those things they also do nachos and sandwiches and cake. You can also buy food to take away, and they sell fake meats and vegan cheeses as well. Small-ish so can get busy. Was there last Sat late a'noon and the poor staff were rushed off their feet, but kept on smiling. Only down side is there's not non-meaty burgers - I'm fussy and only like tofu, nut or bean burgers...!

Pros: Vegan, Funky
Cons: Smallish place, No tofu/nut/bean burgers
Marianne1967
Marianne1967

Not a good Latte

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2014

We went here to see if it would be a good place to lunch later that day, but the Latte with soymilk was terrible, so we decided not to lunch here. Of course this does not say anything about the food.

Pros: Nice place, Friendly helpers
Cons: Latte Coffee

KiraMayRhodes
KiraMayRhodes

Best Vegan Junk Food!

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2014

V Revolution has improved a lot since it first opened and I love the new menu. Don't go for healthy options but I recommend the hot dogs and the chocolate milkshakes! Recently the V Revolution team have started baking and the cakes are so inventive and delicious - I had marshmallow cake last week.

Pros: Best vegan junk food ever, Milkshakes are heavenly, Drinks and snacks also available
Cons: Service slow when busy, No "healthy" options
TableForOne
TableForOne

No frills!

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2014

No frills vegan junk food with a hardcore metal soundtrack.

I had the classic hotdog and my friend had the blue cheese burger.

Cheap and cheerful and punk as f*ck.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 24, 2014

Pros: Friendly , Unpretentious, Inexpensive
amzhatch
amzhatch

This place is incredible

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

This is my favourite junk food cafe. Their hotdogs are incredible and they always have a good selection of vegan shakes and soft drinks available. It has a really nice atmosphere and the food is really cheap. You can also pick up flyers about vegan things such as protests and petitions as well as flyers about what's on in Manchester. I have yet to sample the cakes but they look delicious. I often come here with my boyfriend who loves the hotdogs even though he's a meat eater! It's cool to have found a place we both love to eat considering our diets are so different.

Pros: Delicious mock meat junk food, Really cheap, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Shuts early, not for a late night snack, No chips!
vegan-cub
vegan-cub

Missing a big juicy burger? Miss it no more!

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

A good place to come if you're missing meaty treats. I have a massive double beef cheese burger with a blueberry shake... it just put flavours in my face that I didn't think I'd ever experience again. the blueberry shake was an all-american CLASSIC. Really fit and friendly staff too. And its full of sexy vegans. Yeeaaah! :D

Pros: Juicey burgers, Thick creamy shakes, Fit staff / fit customers!
SG213
SG213

Different style of food, worth a visit

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2014

A vegan burger bar with a metal theme sounds like fun and it's pretty much what you would expect, although it seems like they're basing their menu almost entirely on what can be cooked from the fridges filled with veggie stuff.

That's fine, although we were a bit disappointed to discover that the amazing stacked burgers on the walls such as the Heisenburger were mostly one-off specials.

We had the Mini Macs with an extra burger, they were tasty and well put together. But any semblance of a side dish was missing - nachos were available but it seemed like it would be an overload of processed food. That's not to say that the burgers didn't feel healthy - they did, but some fried potato based offering would go down well.

It was great however to be able to pick from the wide selection of nice drinks in the fridges.

Pros: Tasty vegan burgers, Also sells chilled vegan groceries
Cons: Not enough options apart from main items, Vegan burgers etc maybe TOO realistic!
bebe
bebe

Okay ,

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

nothing special though , but happy I found some vegan place.Cake was very nice !

pinkbunny
pinkbunny

amazing!!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

Friendly service, good if you feel like having some junk food, fast service even when it's busy, nice variety and products to take home. Went there twice in one weekend in Manchester.

Pros: vegan, yummy, friendly
Cons: small venue
scrapbookclub
scrapbookclub

VEGAN JUNK FOOD

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2014

Every time I have been in V Revolution there has always been at least one ridiculously good massive vegan cake on the counter from which I HAVE to have a slice. Last time I was there I had this huge chocolate orange cake it was well good. It's good here because you can get a good vegan lunch (try one of their massive burgers) and hang out drinking coffee, and then you can buy some more vegan supplies to take home for your dinner that night.

Pros: sell vegusto cheese and other nice stuff, CAKES R INSANE, coffee is greattttt
stewlisa
stewlisa

Hidden Gem!!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

Visited for the first time a couple of weeks ago and sampled the 'Hamdog', which was delicious.
This is proper fast food in a friendly environment with the added bonus of them selling vegan products too.
Will definitely be going back soon.

Pros: Delicious fast food options, Cakes on sale too!, Vegan products for sale
Tiggy
Tiggy

Good that it's here but nothing special

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

We came here for a late lunch after arriving in Manchester and were lucky enough to be staying just around the corner. I was a little bit disappointed when we got there that the menu was a bit limited, with only mock meat (and cheese)-based fast food items. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a (decent) bit of fake beef or what-have-you every now and then and as a vegan, I like to participate in consuming fast food sometimes for a sense of inclusion, of not missing out on simple pleasures. But really, I don't know what the big deal about this place is. My Chicken Royale with 'bacon' and extra 'cheese' was perfectly satisfying, as was my partner's Mini Mac, but nothing at all I hadn't tasted before. I'll avoid being too negative and say that it's good to have a vegan popular/fast food outlet in the heart of hipster Manchester, and it's not too expensive. More like snack food than meal food though. It has a funky cafe atmosphere and sells vegan products to take home. I think this would be a place I'd keep coming to because it's an easy option.

Pros: Making vegan popular/fast food available, Reasonably priced
Cons: Small menu
denizthecat
denizthecat

worth a visit!

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

I had only one day in Manchester so I had to pinpoint my vegan spots carefully. This place was my first visit of the day and I loved it! Though they could serve me the grilled cheese sandwich, I was completely satisfied with the hotdog and the Plougman's sandwich they had in the cooling section. OMG! That sandwich. I still dream about it every day.

Another huge plus to the place, the lovely vegan food they sell in there. Vegusto cheese, all kinds of sausages, hotdogs, chocolate...all things junk food for us to enjoy at home. Will definitely be back to try out the burger!

Pros: all vegan junk food, Diner feel to the place, location
Cons: some items might not be available
RubyFriel
RubyFriel

Best Vegan Burger Bar EVER

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

Title says it all.

They only improvements would be if it was possible to make more of a meal out of it with sides like fries or salads...

Also would be nice if they served beer, but I can live without it.

Pros: good value, delicious food, nice people
xkillerx
xkillerx

authentic

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

I ate here last year but forgot to review. Burgers - check. Obscure soy milks - check. Diner look and feel - check. Record store - check. All vegan and straightedge - double check!!

Pros: quirky, authentic, straightedge
Cons: all junkfood
davem
davem

superb junk food

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2014

It is unashamedly junk food, but vegan. Fantastic selection of elements for that authentic mouth feel - they've put some serious research into this. Great specials too, the blue-cheesy Heisenburger is a winner!

Nice selection of drinks and fresh vegan products. It's like a vegan meat counter of tofu.

Heavy metal and herbivores. Go!

Pros: specials, really really good junk food, wifi, and friendly staff
Cons: no fries!
MarkGillatt
MarkGillatt

Oldham Road Return

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

Felt quite nostalgic for the late Cafe Pop as I walked down Oldham Road. Anyway the VRev is pretty much fast food vege burgers, vege chicken burgers and vege hot dogs just the job for a change but definitely not healthy eating. Would certainly go again.

Pros: Friendly staff, 3 reasons to visit
thebrowns
thebrowns

Makes A Change

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

Whilst I think its good to have variety in vegan places to eat, V-Revolution really does take its junk food ethos seriously. I went here with a meat-eating friend and she loved it, I however felt ill after my burger. It was very unhealthy, greasy and salty and sugary, so don't eat here if your body can't cope with unhealthy food! It also focused on meat-alternatives (great for non-veg friend) but if you don't like that sort of thing you may be uncomfortable.

Overall it is good at what it does, is cheap, but not my taste.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Unhealthy, But Doesn't Want To be Healthy Anyway!
anianadia
anianadia

love it

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2013

Vegan junk food...I love it.

Pros: everything is vegan
Cons: service is a bit poor
fire horse
fire horse

TOTALLY VEGAN!

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

Great little place. Nice 50s diner style decor, great vegan junk food, friendly helpful staff.
Fridges and shelves stocked with drinks, mock meats, vegan cheeses, snacks, as well as fresh cakes and good quality herbal teas.
They have some vegan events here like potlucks.

Pros: comfortable and friendly, clean, unique
arherron
arherron

A delicious diner

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

V-revolution sells the most divine sandwiches. The recently consolidated menu is also a real treat for vegans - not a hummas and falafel wrap in sight! The BBBQ burger is a treat and the hotdogs very tasty. The range of vegan products is focused on the hard to obtain end of the scale which is helpful. A friendly, welcome addition to the Manchester vegan food outlet offering which I visit often.

Pros: interesting vegan food, Very tasty, Innovative
Cons: The BBQ sauce is quiet sweet
Veirs
Veirs

Hooray

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I loved this place! The people were friendly, the food was yum and there was fake meat galore. Highly recommend it!

Pros: vegan fast food, Delicious , Friendly
Cons: outside sitting area not nice, small portions
Marked
Marked

This place is going somewhere, but where?

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

Firstly, I need to clarify. I really like the idea behind V Revolution. This is not just one business, it's three! There's the punk/hardcore metal record shop; the vegan food store; and then, the main event, a kitsch American style diner serving American style junk food that is definitely not junk!
The food is worth the trip alone and it makes a nice change to be eating vegan food in a cafe that doesn't live up to the usual vegetarian/vegan venue cliche.
Red vinyl seats and a chequerboard vinyl floor set the scene and make for a clean, crisp atmosphere. The staff are laid back and friendly and, as it's nice to have an excuse to browse the records, the slightly longer wait for our food wasn't a problem.
Despite this there is a bit of an issue at V revolution. The three businesses each suffer from not having the full focus of the space. The record shop feels like a little bit of an after-thought and the food store also suffers a similar fate.
I really believe in what the owner is trying to achieve here. V Revolution has the potential to be a real destination, a venue for vegan/vegetarian punks wishing to compare notes and have a bite to eat whilst they do it, but there is need to unify the space and make it feel like all three parts are living in harmony.

Pros: Not the usual vegan menu, Reasonably priced, great range of soft drinks
Cons: not focussed enough
AcEastend
AcEastend

cool place to hang out

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2013

Unfortunately the burger was sold out when I went there on my last day in Manchester. I think this can only be a good sign. But I had a drink in the extraordinary place with great atmosphere and very nice staff! Enjoyed it a lot!

Pros: cool place to hang out, great atmosphere and music, friendly staff
taffboy72
taffboy72

Much Needed And Innovative

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

V Revolution is decorated in classic cafe style with a punk / straight edge vibe, thus different from the "healthy" or "hippy" norms. It's important and marvellous to have this sector represented in Manchester business.

To my delight they celebrate what I call "vegan gack" - junk food which is proud to not fit to the vegan stereotype.

At time of writing it's bigger function is as a shop with a good range of products which are often very hard to find elsewhere. They also sell vinyl records and clothing.
It's clearly got potential to be a hang out for activists.

Easy to find, a 5 minute walk from Picadilly Gardens. It is still developing as a business and I haven't eaten there. To be honest I haven't even glanced at the menu, which is why I aint commented on food in the Pro / Cons yet. Will edit when I do. Certainly they do sandwiches and the like. They have just started doing "proper" food on a Sunday.

Pros: A cultural/political 1st for the city., Friendly, sincere staff., Good variety of foods in the shop.
Cons: Still developing hot food provision.
qfc
qfc

punk food

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

This place is pure quality. The food is kind of junk food like, but really nice. Loads of fake meats, fake cheese and that sort of thing. Maybe not for your vegan health obsessives.

Sells loads of vegan cheeses meats and things at the shop and the place also serves a lot of these up in great burgers, cheese toasties and sandwiches. Also has some great soft drinks you don't find much elsewhere.

Also sells hardcore/metal/punk records and shirts, if you're into that sort of thing.

Pros: quality food, punk as fuck
hoz
hoz

Highly recommended

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2013

As Stevie has mentioned it is different to the usual veg*n stores but this is completely a positive. The sandwiches they make and sell here are always really tasty and usually there are a few different kinds. For a vegan there is nowhere in Manchester city centre to get that range of choice and at £3 they are great value as well.

Another thing I love about this place is that it isn't 100% health-food orientated, it knowingly serves some 'vegan junk'. For a vegan who eats well but often fancies something indulgent their specials are really great, which have included huge burgers and full vegan breakfasts.

Finally, the people who run the place are really welcoming and there is a great relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: Great hand-made sandwiches, Good value, It's a record store too
Stevie
Stevie

Vrevolution, Manchester

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

I went to this place on Saturday. It wasn't the optimum time to make an assessment of what its typically like here as there was a free vegan food event taking place.

The place is quite unusual, not like anywhere I can think I have been to. Its all vegan and has 3 different elements to it.

1) there is a cafe selling coffee, cakes etc and a bunch of other snacky type foods from the shelves such as confectionary bars

2) there's a health food shop element with a fridge and a freezer where you can buy food to take away to prepare at home

3) they sell records and tshirts

Its not a particularly big place and tries to be a little bit of all 3 of these entities rather than looking to be stunning as one of these entities in particular. I personally like it. The atmosphere is relaxed, the vibe was nice, its obviously all vegan food and drink. Its a nice place to chill out and have a munch.

Location is around a 5 min walk from Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester city centre.

Pros: 100% vegan, relaxed, central
CottageCupcakeCo
CottageCupcakeCo

M/C's first and best vegan lifestyle store!

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

V Revolution is a revolution indeed - a vegan lifestyle and record store in Manchester's Northern Quarter seeing to all your vegan needs! Chilled and frozen grocery items, fresh cakes, drinks, staple items and more. Excellent - I hope it just gets bigger and better!

Dear Owner and Manager of V Revolution: