Opened in October 2010, V Note is an intimate organic wine bar and vegan bistro. Serving vegan tapas, organic wine and beer, full menus, and brunch on weekends. Seats up to 40 guests. Live classical Spanish guitar every Wednesday and Friday evening from 7:30pm. Founded by the owner of Blossom and Cafe Blossom in NYC. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Fusion, Beer/Wine, Delivery

First Review by JohnnySensible
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Mediocre food, totally not worth the price

2 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

I've had better food from a cart. That's my honest feeling about this fancy-pants restaurant.

If I'm going to go out for a nice dinner and spend a lot of money, the food should be amazing. Here, that just wasn't the case.

I had the barbecue tempeh, and the tempeh wasn't good at all. The sides were better than the main course. The milkshake was better than the sides.

My girlfriend felt the same. Mediocre food, saved by the milkshake.

The saving quality was the friendly service.

Pros: All vegan
Cons: Overpriced for half-decent food
dkinjer
dkinjer

Amazing food, a bad mishap

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

I came with high expectations, I was looking forward to some gourmet vegan dining after being in other cities with the more typical grain-and-veggie-stew fare, and I was not disappointed. I ordered the Pistachio & Pepper Dusted Tofu and it was scrumptious, the lemon truffle emulsion adding such a nice flavor. My spouse - how could he with so many exciting, different, menu items? - ordered the lasagna. It was good but he didn't seem as excited as I was. Well, that's what you get for ordering something that lots of places make. We had two amazing desserts: the cheesecake and the Tiramisu. Sooo good! I often skip dessert, because it has to be really special to go for it. Even vegan has calories (they do use sugar, and the tiramisu was made with coconut cream). These were worth every calorie. But the mishap - oh boy! The tables for two are close together. A woman at the table next to me knocked over her wine glass - it would be red wine - and it splashed all over me, staining my cream color cardigan, a salmon colored top, my pants, my spouse's shirt. What a mess! The waitress tried to find a laundry stick, but couldn't, so she brought me a bottle of sparkling water, which I did enjoy drinking the rest of after trying to use the non-absorbent cloth napkin and then some paper towels to clean my clothes, but there were too many stains and I didn't feel like being so wet, and it didn't work, anyway. So I gave up until I got home and worked very hard at getting most of the stains out, but I still have a stubborn spot on my cardigan. The waitress offered us a dessert on the house (which is why we had two instead of a shared dessert), but they should have offered some greater compensation for having my clothes almost ruined, and no guarantee that I wouldn't have a rather expensive loss. True, the restaurant isn't the one who knocked over the wine, but I still think that they should take some responsibility for their customers' clumsiness. I won't let it ruin my review of the food. The ambiance was also pleasant, with some live music part of the time.

Pros: amazing food, fantastic desserts
Cons: don't sit near someone with red wine
rach
rach

Upscale dining, great setting , delicious food

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2014

A lovely experience - the decor and live music added to the experience. The food is great quality (as are Candle 79 and Candle Cafe West). I think I slightly preferred the food at Candle Cafe, however it was still delicious. It is a more upscale experience in a lovely setting. I would recommend this place.

Pros: Setting, Live music, Quality food
Cons: Food not quite as good as candle cafe

SLC
SLC

A little hit or miss

3 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2014

I have to say I had great expectations coming here. I liked the space and the service quite a bit. The entrée, however, was very disappointing. I ordered the Seitan Schnitzel and I can honestly say I can throw that together myself in no time. Overall, and for me that is a deal breaker, it lacked taste (blueberry reduction had none worth mentioning) and spicing. For the main course I ordered the Pistachio & Pepper Dusted Tofu which was a different story altogether. Spectacular would be my choice of word for that dish. The lemon truffle emulsion was amazing and the perfect combination with the crepe. Here, too, there is a "but". The portion was tiny which I was quite peeved at considering the prices. The next day I tried Café Blossom and given the choice, I am sorry to say, I would definitely go there instead.

Pros: Lovely service, When it's good, it's GOOD
Cons: A pain to get to with public transp., Small portions for the price, Some dishes not as good as others
VeganLin
VeganLin

Great Birthday Dinner

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I treated myself to V-note for my birthday when I was visiting New York City last year. I had purchased a Groupon so I got to enjoy more delicious food at a great price. The waitress suggested the pumpkin and sweet potato gnocchi which I enjoyed, but was my least favorite part of the meal. I also had a wonderful salad. But the highlight of the meal was the seitan medallions in peppercorn sauce. Heavenly! I look forward to returning to try something else or maybe just order those seitan medallions again. It is a small intimate restaurant, but the noise level is rather high. It was fine until two women were seated next to me and engaged in an unusually loud conversation. It did detract from the meal. Luckily the food was good enough to overcome even those annoying women. I was so full that I did not try the desserts so I cannot comment on those.

Pros: Delicious food, Peppercorn medallions
Cons: Noisy, Close tables
JDH
JDH

Great food

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

Went here last week. Absolutely delightful staff who were bright and attentive. It's a really extensive menu and I can highly recommend the mushroom phylo cigars. The chocolate ganache pudding was a real treat.

Pros: All vegan, Great staff, Reasonable prices
Amirakay
Amirakay

One of the Best Brunches Ever

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2014

I went here for brunch with my mom who was visiting from out of town. We immediately loved the atmosphere and the staff was very friendly. It was cute and cozy, but not too crowded or loud. I got the tofu scramble +vegan french toast and vegan sausage. I loved all of it. The french toast was one of the best I've had and the three together were the perfect combination. My mom got their pancakes and home fries, I believe….and I had a bite of each and they were delicious.

Now it wasn't cheap by any means, but I felt it was worth it for the quality and taste of the food plus the great wait staff.

Will be back again soon with my next guest! Definitely worth the trip up to the UES.

Pros: Delicious, Wonderful atmosphere, Great wait staff
veganintheberkshires
veganintheberkshires

Love it!

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

Been here 4-5 times. The seitan dishes are wonderful. You are getting gourmet for non-gourmet prices. I like V-Note better than Candle 79! The only better vegan restaurant I have been to is in Charlotte, NC and it is called Fern. Fern blows everything else away still!

steveveg
steveveg

Upscale vegan

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

We had dinner here the other night. The layout was unique, with two quarter round tables that made for an odd seating arrangement. With the relatively high noise level, the two person musical accompaniment made conversation even harder. The live music did not add to our dinner, although it by itself was fine and others may enjoy it more.

We had the Seitan cordon bleu, which was excellent. The creamy 3 mushroom risotto's flavor was slightly off. The drunken fruit parfait was a little watery and bland. The peaches did not have much flavor. The tiramisu came in a parfait cup, and was less in quantity than I would expect, but it was delicious. Aside from these quibbles, dinner was very enjoyable.

The gluten free menu had plentiful entree choices, but only one dessert and one appetizer possible.

We enjoyed this interesting addition to New York's vegan restaurants. Having traveled elsewhere in the US, I know we are really spoiled with the eating possibilities here.

Pros: organic & vegan, gluten free menus available
Cons: noise level
Sweet_Sheri
Sweet_Sheri

Delicious, & well worth it!

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

I am in NYC for an event. Today I went to two museums, & at around 6pm I was very hungry from all the walking. I had already planned to try V Note, as it is close to my apartment rental.
Overall, V Note is great. It is a small restaurant with good taste. To drink, I had an Earl Grey tea. You really can't go wrong with that. I ate the Cape Cod cakes for an appetizer. They were absolutely delicious, & really do taste like crab cakes (minus the fishiness & cruelty). It was actually very filling. As an entree I had the Mushroom Ravioli, which come in a creamy sauce & are also stuffed with lentils. The pasta looked freshly made, & it was very flavorful. The only complaint I had about all the food, was that it was really salty. I suggest you ask for less salt. Other than that, it exceeded my expectations. For dessert, I took a tiramisu to go. I'm eating it right now, & it's good compared to other vegan tiramisus I've eaten. It's a little rich in texture, but a good way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
The prices are moderately expensive in my opinion, not too shocking, and are well worth it.
The decor was fashionable, with dimmed lighting and abstract paintings; and they played oldies music which I personally enjoy. The waiter was very kind, with a good personality as well.
For any of you who live/drive in the city, there is no parking space in front.
Overall, I enjoyed V Note very much. I will most probably return if I visit NYC again.
Have a great day everyone!

Pros: Flavorful & fresh food, Kind/ friendly staff, Nice ambience
Cons: Salty food (not the same as flavorful)
vegansoul
vegansoul

Trendy, delicious and humane

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

Completely vegan in uptown NY. Offers a fabulous Sunday Brunch, which we mistakenly thought started at 11 am -- it starts at noon. They graciously allowed us to wait inside - out of the rain - at 11:45 when we arrived. My beau had a vegan breakfast of tofu scramble, vegan sausages and french toast. I had tomato soup and grilled soy cheese. It all tasted heavenly and fueled us for our day of tourism in Manhattan.

Pros: Vegan, Wine bar, Delicious
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Neat trendy vegans spot with great wine

3 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

We walked here from our hotel upon arriving in NYC. The atmosphere and decor are wonderful. It really feels like walking into a small speakeasy type restaurant on the streets of europe. Unfortunately, most of the dishes are cooked in earth balance. We were only able to eat steamed zucchini & kale & drink wine, but were happy to enjoy the place.

Pros: atmosphere, wine
Cons: oil in rice/quinoa
JMNL
JMNL

One of the best vegan restaurants in NYC!

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

The food is great, the atmosphere is great and the staff is very friendly and knowledgable. Since we had such a good experience we went there for lunch soon after and it was really good as well, especially their smoothies.
Try the Lentil Rings, Waldorf Salad, Medallions au Poivre, Seitan Piccata. The Pistachio & Pepper Dusted Tofu is always a good choice in any of the Blossom restaurants/cafe's. Portions are generous.

Pros: Great vegan food, friendly staff, good atmosphere
ladyelaine
ladyelaine

Scrumptious!

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

My friends and I have dined at V-note multiple times and each time, the food and service have been fantastic. The atmosphere is cozy, great wine and food selections and they have an extensive gluten-free menu, too. My omnivore friends have eaten here and love it, and it's wonderful to share that compassionate food choices don't taste bland, but they taste incredible. Plus, it's great that the entire restaurant has a conscience, has eco-practices, and supports/promotes the farm sanctuary.

Pros: wonderful food, great wine selection, friendly staff
Cons: none
ann.marie77
ann.marie77

yummy seitan medallions!

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2012

They have a nice wine list, lots of seitan on the menu (my favorite meat alternative) and a delicious "chicken" ceasar salad. Some of the items on the menu are a little bit inventive for my taste--the msuchroom and tempeh "cigars" come with pomagranate seeds on top (not a flavor that is appealing to me.) The ambiance is a little dark, but the food and service are excellent.

Pros: Great menu , Great wine list, Friendly staff
Cons: Dark walls, Some tables a little close together, The dessert menu could be improved upon
your_ad_here
your_ad_here

Delicious sammiches!

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2012

I went to V-Note for lunch and had the southern seitan sammich and it was amazing. I still dream about it. My (non-vegan) boyfriend had the curried unchicken salad which he thoroughly enjoyed. I actually wound up liking V-Note way more than Blossom.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: little pricey
andreacarioca
andreacarioca

I would eat there every week.

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2011

I am totally addicted to the Caesar Salad there, it is the best I've ever had! I like the place/decoration very much, but I am not the only one: in the past few months the restaurant has been getting very busy, and reservation is strongly suggested. Their dishes are well elaborated and very very tasty! It is not cheap, but it is worth every penny.
If you have space in your tummy, do order dessert - they are awesome!

estefinparis
estefinparis

Delicious brunch

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

V Note has great service and serves the best scrambled tofu. Delicious vegan brunch that left us satisfied and full of energy. Definitely recommended.

Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Nice, romantic place

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2011

A bunch of great wines and treats to choose from. It's a tad expensive so it's not the type of place I'll be going to every time I'm in NYC but for that special occasion you'll be hard-pressed to find a better place.

Jess McNeill
Jess McNeill

Yum yum yum!

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2011

Visited for lunch with my vegan friend and we really enjoyed our meal! I got the tempeh with the avocado salad and she got the thai tofu. We both thought ours was the best! The price was reasonable and the atmosphere was chill. The server was helpful and attentive but not annoying. We will def return if we are in the area!

Pros: variety, healthy options, cozy
Poundie
Poundie

Excellent food, classy (and pricey) place

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

The food here is excellent, no doubt about it, and the service is pretty good too. It is a bit pricey, but great for a special night out.

Pros: delicious food
Cons: pricey
Marte P
Marte P

Best entree ever!

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2011

I was a bit reluctant to go to V Note, because the menu was so similar to Blossom, where we had already been twice. Blossom was fantastic, but I was afraid that it would be too similar. However, it was an equally great experience and enough variety in the menu to give you a new set of tastebud extravagancas. The restaurant itself is really lovely, nice atmosphere and stylish. Our waiter was very nice and attentive in every way. We skipped the starters, as we had had a really big lunch, and went straight for the main course. My partner loved his mushroom risotto, and my seitan medallions with pepper sauce was simply divine. Probably the best entree I have ever had. Everything about it was just so extremely tasteful, even the salad was dressed in a vinaigrette so tasteful that I regret not having asked what it was.

For dessert we shared a dark chocolate fondue with fruits and cookies, which was every bit as nice as it sounds. The only negative things I can mention is that it is a bit far off central NY (we had to take two subways and a bus to get there) and that it claims to be a tapas bar, although they have nothing resembling tapas. Don't know why that is. Still, hands down a five cow experience!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 15, 2011

Pros: Amazing food, Great service, Reasonably priced
Cons: A bit far from downtown NY, No tapas
andrea
andrea

High Note

5 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2011

What Jenna M? Only 4 stars? V-Note is 5 stars all the way. I am actually not the hugest Blossom group fan, but V Note kicked ass. My husband ate here a few months ago and really liked it, so we came with an omni friend. They both ended up ordering exactly the same thing--the sweet potato gnocchi and Seitan Scallopini. Our bloodmouth buddy said the gnocchi were good, but slightly chewy. I don't think chewy gnocchi is a bad thing, but still, he ended up cleaning his plate. They both loved the seitan. I had a taste and it was incredibly good, on par with Candle 79 seitan (which I do not think is the case at Blossom).

I had the eggplant parm as an appetizer. It was absolutely sublime, I mean one of the best things I've eaten in any veg restaurant. I got a dinner sized soy chicken curry salad. It was really delicious. The soy chicken was so good, that had I been in a non-veg restaurant I would have been worried it was real. We all got shakes for dessert and loved them, but I will say the one I had the previous night at Cafe Blossom (I'm posting a review of that meal too) was a little thicker and had the bonus of a ribbon of chocolate sauce.

The service was awesome, friendly yet professional. I don't know why people come to nice restaurants and complain about prices. Unless it's outrageous or the food is bad, come on. $19 in NY is hardly a high price tag. We could not have had a better experience.

vegified
vegified

v-note is v-licious

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

came here with my boyfriend. we have absolutely no complaints! loved everything. it's warm and cozy. the waitress who served us was really nice and helpful. the food was really good. the wine was good. hand-down my new favorite place on the upper east side.

From A to Vegan
From A to Vegan

Love V-Note

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2011

My wife, had the Country Breakfast with tofu scramble, French toast, and soy sausage. This was the best tofu scramble I have had. It had lots of flavor and I wanted to trade plates with her. As a vegan it is hard to find good French toast and sausage and the V-Note cooked them both exceptionally well. If you are looking for a great brunch item, this is it.

I had the Soy Bacon Cheeseburger with caramelized onions, vegan cheese, soy bacon, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, and chipotle aioli on a sesame roll with French fries. If you are going to bring a carnivore to V-Note just order this for them and it will satisfy their taste buds. The rich, fatty, smoky flavors brought back memories of barbecuing in the backyard or eating at a fast food restaurant with friends and family. On the other hand, I had to keep telling myself it wasn't meat and it was a delicious vegan burger. The downside of this burger is the vegan cheese, which had a sour taste when eaten by itself. Once I got bites of all of the flavors together, the sour taste disappeared.

My daughter, had the BLT with crispy southern fried tofu, tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, and field greens, and she said it was the best BLT she has ever had, which is high praise from a picky twelve-year-old.

The V-Note has choices of smoothies or shakes and I had the Banana Berry with soy milk, banana, blueberry, strawberry, and orange juice, which are some of my favorite flavors together and this didn't disappoint me. The banana and berry were right and center in this thick concoction of smoothie goodness. My daughter ordered the Frappe with soy milk espresso, chocolate and vanilla ice cream, which was also delicious with a good caffeine kick.

We didn't try the desserts since we were so full even though they looked delicious and we will make sure to save room for our next trek out to V-Note.

Pros: Food, Atmoshpere, Drinks
Cons: Location
Krutolow
Krutolow

V-Note, New Upscale Vegan worth every penny

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

See the full review and pics at Marty's Flying Vegan Review www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com I took a walk over to V-Note this summer but the opening date had been set back and so I was really looking forward to eating here. I passed by a few days after they opened and took a look at the prices. Holy Seitan Batman, save me from sticker shock!

As the new boy on the block don't you tip toe into the pool and after you get really really busy up the prices find the balance? I know nothing about restaurant management but seems reasonable to lure me in, have me come back and find the prices are a buck or two higher. I resisted and resisted and then when a "Living Social" deal for V-Note showed up in my inbox I could no longer find an excuse. I mean, 20 bucks is 20 bucks and that was the savings. I made a reservation for 3 and off we went.

Modern slick meets dark warm wood. Banquette along one wall. Personally I don't enjoy eating elbow to elbow with other diners unless a) there's no place left to sit or b) I know you very well or c) there's enough room for my butt to not knock over a water glass on the adjoining table, (in which case they're no longer elbow to elbow).

When you put this Caesar Salad in your mouth it said, "Bang! Caesar Salad in the HOUSE!" Although I think buying a pre-made protein like Gardein and putting a crisp on it and serving it in a very upscale restaurant is a bit of a cop out, it paired amazingly well with the salad and it was an impressively close impersonation of a Chicken Caesar Salad.

Caesar Salad
Gomashio, toasted capers, soy chicken and herbed croutons. $14
I was waiting for a bite of crabmeat and that was just silly. One day maybe I'll taste something like it but these were close. There was a nice taste of the ocean with a crab cake consistency, not too mushy and with a nice crunch on the outside. The combination with the tarter sauce was indeed a memory of another dining era in my life. Very nice dish.

Crab Cakes
Blend of hiziki seaweed, tofu, herbs and spices with a tartar sauce $10
This dish wasn't trying to be anything other than delicious. It had a wonderful earthy flavor from the veggies and the lentils were cooked perfectly, neither mushy nor too crunchy and that combination with the crisp and ...

Marty
Marty's Flying Vegan Review

Pros: outstanding food, friendly service
Cons: $$$ but no more so than any other upscal
Jane jj
Jane jj

Best New Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2010

Wow, I went with a friend Saturday night and the restaurant was full, we sat down and ordered red wine, which was so good. We started our meal with crumbed seitan with potato salad which was the best I ever had, don't know how they do it. My friend ordered the ravioli in cream sauce and I had the seitan au prove or something like that, both dishes were out of this world, really, amazing. I have to admit, we had the fondue as well, wow...the place is also really beautiful, a little out of the way, but I will travel any time I can effort it. I would also love to just sit at the bar one night after a show and drink wine, it really looks so romantic and well put together. This place is a must.

Pros: Food, Decor
paypar
paypar

Beautiful presentation, expensive, ok food

3 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2010

V-note touts itself to be an upscale vegan establishment. The location on the upper east side is right next to Candle 79. I went there at 6:30pm on a Thursday and the restaurant was empty, but filled up during the course of my meal. The restaurant is not so small that it is cramped, and it has a nice bar. I ordered the ravioli in cashew cream and it was very heavy! I couldn't finish it all. Overall, I enjoyed the experience, but likely won't return because of the price and the food was 'ok' I like a bit more flavor and spice in my meals. But very beautiful presentation, decor, and friendly waitress (who was also vegan).

Pros: 100% vegan, nice decor
Cons: pricy
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

See the photos - this is a Note - not yet a Review

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2010

Take a peek at the photos on Chloé Jo Davis's site -

It looks / sounds superb!

Dear Owner and Manager of V Note: