CLOSED: V-Gem Cafe

Small corner cafe next to Market Square. Offers Asian style selections of noodles and rice dishes. Has fried kuey teow, fillet with assam on rice, fried rice, steam buns, spring rolls, dim sum, apple turnovers, ice kacang, fair trade organic coffee. Street parking or park at Market Square. Closed first Monday of month. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Chinese, Thai, Malay, Fast food, Take-out, Catering

First Review by KATIE H
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Geelong deserves better

2 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2013

How disappointing; I had been hoping to find a real gem, a vegan cafe in the centre of Geelong. And it is a great location, just opposite the Market Square shopping centre. Well, the food was tasty, but it was served in an off-hand manner by a waiter in need of a personality transplant. We had to ask for plates on which to eat our dim sim! Why have plastic table coverings that make the place look like a classic British transport cafe or greasy spoon? The whole place is just so uninviting, with grubby menus and a sad pot plant in the window. There were children in the kitchen, too, which we found disturbing - and perhaps that's why our satay skewers were burnt. Next time we're in Geelong we'll eat at the Sprout and the Bean. I'd rather feel able to eat here, because it's vegetarian, but I prefer the Sprout's welcoming atmosphere and a feeling of life, even if the veggie options are few. Incidentally, V-Gem is closing at 3pm on Saturdays now.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 08, 2013

Pros: tasty food, fully vegan, extensive menu
Cons: poor atmosphere and decor, plastic table covers, off-hand staff
michagan
michagan

finally a vegan friendly place in geelong

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

i have the wonderful pleasure of dining at v-gem on numerous occassions and each and every time it has been a great satisfying experience. the staff are friendly, the food is divine and plentiful i would highly recommend v-gem to each and every vegetarians and vegans !!!! try it you will not be disappointed

vegiemelb
vegiemelb

Delicious food, something for all tastes.

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2011

The dumplings filling was enjoyable a distinct Asian taste but not sure what it was. I am not sure what the sauce was, it was not bad but not great, nothing special but the main thing was it did not detract from the dumplings. I thought maybe the dumplings broke up a bit easy but must qualify this because I am not a dumplings expert. I had the steamed dumplings and look forward to trying the other entrees such as the dim sims, crispy tofu, and spring rolls, along with having the dumplings fried, and would then be happy to have the steamed dumplings again.

For the main course I had the Fried Kway Teow (Char Kway Teow) with an egg, no gravy version. This was perfect. The vegies were at a perfect crispness. The rice noodles were delicious. The whole dish was a perfect consistency, not too oily, eveything just right. I would have to give this dish at least a 9/10 but there is no reason why I shouldn't give it a 10/10.

The meal came with a complimentary small bowl of a blended cauliflower soup. This was quite nice and added another taste dimension to the meal but I don't know under what conditions this is provided.

I had a mug of peppermint tea with the meal, this is good for the digestion. The mug came with two tea bags probably only need one tea bag per mug, I am not sure what others think.

The restaurant provides a very friendly and peaceful setting with the other diners relaxing and enjoying their meals.

I parked up near the Art Gallery it was $1.75 per hour, this is just a short walk down Little Malop St to the restaurant, and then after the meal I visited the Gallery which as usual was quite enjoyable.

There are lots of delicious-sounding options on the menu and being Melbourne-based means I won't be able to eat here often. I look forward to trying some of the other options such as the Hokkien Noodles and the Tom Yum noodle soup. I might have to go on a Saturday and have brunch and then later in the day have dinner.

Maybe I can meet you there.

Pros: wide range, delicious taste, relaxing setting
Cons: long way from me, closed sundays
KATIE H
KATIE H

Tasty food, great service an absolute gem

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

Loved this will be back for more curry puffs and satay sticks! This place is low key just starting out but boy its worth a visit. outside of Melbourne its hard to eat out as a vegan, so this is your last stop shop. It would make a great detour on the way to the ocean road if travelling or before hitting Melbourne. The service was the best talking to the own she totally look after us, offering complementary tasty biscuits and soup. Nice to eat something different and it's clean too.

Pros: Tasty, Different to Melbourne veg places, Good service

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: V-Gem Cafe: