Opened June 2012, this vegan restaurant serves Thai food and is child-friendly. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Thai, Take-out, Delivery
1605 W Montrose Ave (N Ashland Ave)
Chicago, Illinois 60613
773-404-1109

Open Mon 4:30-9:40pm, Tue-Thur 11am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 12-9pm.

First Review by SynthVegan
Uvita
Uvita

Best Vegan Thai Food in Chicago

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

This tiny, adorable storefront serves authentic and delicious Thai food ... and the best part is you don't have to even ask about fish sauce because it's all vegan. In addition to tofu protein options include imitation fish, shrimp, chicken, and pepper steak. I am a big fan of the fake chicken satay and the curries with the fake fish. I love that the curries come with a sticky pile of red rice. The only downside is that some of the dishes, like the PET (Pumpkin, eggplant and tofu) are a little boring and the noodles can be overcooked.

Pros: Good Value, Friendly Staff, Cute Decor
Cons: Limited seating
vegfor22yrs
vegfor22yrs

Hits the spot

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

I have ordered in from here twice. I will say, it took a really long time to arrive, but it was worth the wait. Chicken pad thai and ginger beef were both delish, pretty much like any decent non-vegan Thai place but with fake meat and no worries about fish sauce and the like. I have never eaten shrimp (like really never) so I ordered cashew shrimp thinking it might be interesting to get an idea of what the appeal of shrimp is. All I can say is, if that is even remotely similar to what real shrimp tastes like then I just feel a bit sorry for those poor people who feel the need to eat it. It was not good at all.

Anyway, overall, good solid Thai without fear of contamination. I will definitely order in from hrere again and again.

mariec1
mariec1

Great Thai Food

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

Love the vegan options here. Their "shrimp" Yakisoba is delicious. Also love the noodle dishes. And the Tom Yum soup is a must for when you're feeling sick. I lived on it the week I was down with the flu. Thank you Urban Vegan.

Pros: Fast Friendly Service, Great variety

PeteBull5
PeteBull5

surprisingly good at a decent price

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

I'm the type of vegan who really enjoys meat substitutes. this place does a great job with them (especially the pepper steak).

when my friend and I came here mid week day, it was slow and empty, so the staff was more doting than normal I think. one person came for take out, and a couple sat at a table as we were leaving.

I try not to eat out often (about once a month) but this place is certainly worth it

Pros: great price, really good food, good, friendly service
Cons: kinda small, unappealing decor
Petesternz
Petesternz

Worth visiting for sure

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

Really enjoyed Urban Vegan. It wasn't mind-blowingly good, but the food was really tasty, and we enjoyed every dish. I liked the pad thai especially, and everything had real flavour and creativity. Definitely worth visiting.

veganmiss
veganmiss

Mock Meat Heaven

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2011

For starters, my friend and I had the grilled veggie dumplings, the house salad, and seafood tom yum soup. The portions are big! The dumplings were about what we expected - your everyday vegan frozen dumpling that was grilled. I think next time, I'd like to try the crispy chicken or chicken satay instead. They sound interesting! The house salad was filled with lots of veggies and I went with peanut sauce for the dressing. There is also tahini and Italian dressing. I've never had a Larb salad before since they aren't vegan, but that's the next salad I'm going to try here. The tom yum soup with seafood was interesting, to say the least. I've had vegan fish fillets before and vegan shrimp... but never the fish in a broth. Personally, the best preparation I've ever seen of vegan fish was in a light sauce and the fillet slightly seared. The seaweed wrapped around it to be the "skin" gives it that fishy taste quality. Vegan shrimp, for me, isn't really worth it. It's chewy and doesn't add much to the mix.

Our dinner entree's were the garlic pepper entree with pepper steak and the pad won zen with soy chicken. The pepper steak was pretty good and it came with rice, though I would have appreciated a few more veggies tossed in there. I liked the pad won zen very much (it has more veggies), but it was cold which kind of ruined the appeal (was looking forward to hot noodles!). Next time, I think I'd like to try the P.E.T. (pumpkin, eggplant, tofu) and the wonton noodle soup (I've missed wonton soup since being vegan - it was my staple at Chinese restaurants since I was a wee one).

Overall, I think Urban Vegan is a nice change from the normal Thai vegan dining experience (no fish sauce! no oyster sauce! no egg! tofu!). I'm definitely going to come back and try it again. It seems to be doing great thus far and the Chicago vegan community loves it.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/12/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of.html

Pros: tasty, extensive menu, mock meats
Cons: small seating area, long wait, crowded
bignameactress
bignameactress

Terrific Thai

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2011

The pad thai with soy chicken (lunch special) was one of the best pad thai dishes I've ever had. (And I've had quite a few!) It was served with a lime slice, a sizable (yay!) pile of crushed peanuts 2 spring rolls, maple syrup for dipping (I think) and a nice little salad.

My partner had the yellow curry with soy chicken that was equally as delicious.

We also shared the fried or baked vegetable dumplings and they came with a sweet dark sauce. Delicious!

Excited to return.

Pros: excellent food
ChristineCook
ChristineCook

Yum!

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

Visited Urban Vegan for the first time last weekend. Food was very good. I ordered the green curry and it was medium spicy just as the menu stated. I ordered a dinner combination that included soup, salad, spring roll, and brown rice in addition to the curry. Tons of food for a reasonable price.

Pros: Tasty, good value, friendly staff
Cons: small seating area, only a few tables, noisy, long wait
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Urban Vegan = Urban Awesome

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2011

Urban Vegan has only been open for a week and I'm already impressed. Going in I thought this was just going to be a Thai restaurant serving mock meats in addition to your typical tofu option. Well not only was it a Thai place with mock meats, it's also a restaurant that serves burgers & fries, wraps, and other tasty looking options. So herein lies the question, what to order? Being vegan it's pretty rare to be able to order anything on the menu at a restaurant so I had quiet the conundrum in front of me. Initially I was expecting Thai so I went with a Thai dish, yellow curry with seitan mock meat - best Thai in the city! My bf and I have been looking for good Thai all over the city and it took a vegan restaurant to make that happen! I'm definitely going to go back, several times, and am pretty excited to try all of the other items, especially those burgers! Vegan or not, you should definitely go here! The Thai dishes are so good!

Dear Owner and Manager of Urban Vegan - Lake View: