A vegan restaurant in Toronto. Fresh food and atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Canadian

First Review by philjdomm
Petesternz
Petesternz

Spectacular, well it was....

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

Used to love this place, as per my original review, but while it is still good, not loving some changes. Selling cookies in multiple packs is one, and selling muffin tops only is another. Sandwiches still yummy, but everything seems to have slipped a notch in quality from earlier visits. Plus, the service is some of the worst around, with rudeness common, as others have noticed...

This place is amazingly good. Their sandwiches are the best I've ever had - anywhere. Fresh bread, amazing fillings, HUGE, with BBQ Tofu, Seitan or Gluten (chicken like) filling. I am in love with this place. You must try the chocolate chip cookies, cranberry muffins and lemonade. Not necessarily super healthy, but so tasty I cry thinking I live so far from this place. Do not miss! It is really a lunch place only, but really homey and totally vegan.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 01, 2007

Pros: Great value, excellent food, great desserts
Cons: Not much seating
christineelena
christineelena

Tastes good, most stuff overpriced.

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

Their food is good. I have to give especially rave reviews about their muffies. They are essentially short muffins, supposed to be like cookies. They are great. Just sweet enough, just a big enough portion size, and quite inexpensive. I would eat those on a regular basis. The problem was, I arrived a few hours before closing time and they had run out of the soup I wanted. The cashier told me that this was a regular occurrence. I appreciate that their food is popular but running out of food is something I would expect a little closer to closing than a few hours, if at all. I ended up with a salad bowl, which was good, but I had a hard time justifying the over $10 price tag.

krissimi
krissimi

Over-rated and way too pricey

2 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

This place bugs me. I paid 20 dollars for a salad that should have cost me 8 dollars. I heard rave reviews from a friend and expected more... It was so boring even with all the fixin's... I won't go back. It was meh service and with my drink it was over 25 dollars... Not worth it... It has great potential.
Walk a few steps south to Hibiscus for a much better experience...

Cons: pricey, not that great, looks better than it is

heywood100
heywood100

BIG sandwiches

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

They serve goddam enormous sandwiches, I have no idea how anyone could ever be hungry enough to eat one of their sandwiches in a single sitting. But that's fine, take it home and eat it later. There's a lot of slightly exotic combinations, so think it through before buying - my girlfriend had a sandwich with, in my opinion, rather too much sesame sauce; I went for the soup of the day, which was a pretty filling chili. Not a lot of seating space, but most people seem to order to go, so there'll probably be room if you want to stay.

nowherefast
nowherefast

Alright food

2 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

I went here recently for breakfast and was sad to see there were very few options. I decided on their muffins which were very filling but was sad to hear they did not have any jam, vegan margarine or in fact anything to put on them. I feel I would not go back.

Pros: filling
Cons: expensive, few options
cc14cows
cc14cows

Healthy lunch

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2012

This is a small restaurant with very little space to sit or move. The line goes out the door at lunch time and service can be slow. The food is very healthy but quite expensive, which is hard to justify given that vegetables are generally cheaper than meat. The food was very good though -- mainly salads and soup.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty
Cons: Small, Slow service
Guest

food not bad, more servers needed

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

Small cafe with a decent sized salad bar. I was disappointed that their fresh juices are pre-made and just sitting on ice. I was expecting it to be freshly juiced upon order. Their vegan muffins are really good though. I tried both the sweet potato one and the apple/blueberry one, and both were super yummy!

There are usually one or two people at the counter, one taking orders and another making the salads and sandwiches. Service can be a bit slow.

Pros: muffins
Cons: service
IngridV
IngridV

good food

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

I'M a former addict to their brownies (former cause i no longer live in To)
I like this place and the atmosphere however it's generally a little bit overprice and the openning hour are a bit narrow (if I'm not wrong it's closing at 7pm )

JMNL
JMNL

So so

3 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2011

The sandwiches are nice but very overpriced for what they are, nothing too special.

Pros: nice neighborhood, outdoor seating
Cons: overpriced
Ohkamp
Ohkamp

Great food but poorly stocked

3 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

I really want to give Urban Herbivore five stars. Their muffins can't be beat and any one of their sandwiches makes for a delicious and filling meal. But 9 times out of ten I go in there and they are out of not just one thing but sometimes as much as four things. When they only have 5 sandwiches to choose from, you can see how much of a problem this can be. Not to mention how disorganized the ordering process is. I'd say one out of three times I'll place an order and pay for it, only to have them forget to make it until I remind them. There seems to be no procedure with employees moving on and off the cash register and food line. After some 10 visits, I am really thinking about not returning just because it is such a frustrating experience. Which is a shame because I really enjoy the food.

Pros: Amazing muffins, Great sandwiches
Cons: Consistently out of things, Poor service
jedzen
jedzen

Great take out place

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

There is no service at the tables, you order what you want at the cash, like a take out, with some places to sit. I love the concept of the place, where you make your choices. I had a salad ; you first chose your greens : i had baby spinach. Then, i chose veggies and toppings, and the girl suggested BBQ tofu : she was right, i liked it. My boyfriend had a sandwich, with greens, sprouts, tempeh, olive tapenade and lemon tahini. He was happy with it. I still prefer the salad option because you can put anything you want : they have less options for the sandwich, you just chose tempeh or tofu... We also got 2 lemonades, one with mint leaves, one with cranberry juice. We had a quite dry/overcooked muffin, that could have been better. The girl helping us was really friendly and happy to try to speak french with us. There are not a lot of places to sit : we ate outside, on the patio. For a salad, a sandwich, a muffin and 2 lemondes, we paid less than 30$ so that was not expensive, and a really fun experience.

Delicious food!

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2010

Their salads are tasty and hearty. I love their baked goods-especially the sweet potato date muffins. I enjoy getting a fresh squeezed green juice with my food. Sometimes i get the packaged soups or spreads. The pesto is really great.

Pros: healthy, tasty, vegan
procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Great food

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

I love what I've gotten at this place. The lemonade was great, even on a cold day, and the sandwich flavours are really tasty and well-thought-out.

A muffin I had there (I can't even remember what kind it was) was probably the best muffin I've ever eaten (vegan or not).

I'd give it five cows if it weren't so expensive. I feel that it's overpriced for what you get.

Pros: Delicious, Amazing muffins!
Cons: Pricey
Ken4057
Ken4057

Chimichurri gluten sandwich is the bomb

5 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2009

There is no better way to spend a Sunday than heading to Kensington Market during one of its Pedestrian Sundays and having brunch at Urban Herbivore. You get a joint with a nice vibe and plenty of time to people watch (and there are lots to watch). It's all window bar stool seating inside, but there are a few tables outside, and if you can snag one of them, well my friend, you are sitting in the famed catbird seat.

Choice is king here, as your salad can be whipped up from dozens of lovely ingredients.

Sandwiches are grilled to perfection on ciabatta-style buns. I have the Chimichurri gluten sandwich every time because I need no other (unless I was eating there very day of course).

They also serve take away soups, pestos and more.

Three cheers for Urban Herbivore!

Pros: the bomb
sullivusb
sullivusb

Yummy!

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

We have gone here twice so far on our trip. The first time we picked up a Chimmichura Seitan sandwich and picked up some banana bread, cookies, and muffins to go.

The sandwich was very good and the bread and muffins were so tasty we headed back there a few days later to pick up some breakfast and sandwiches for a picnic lunch. On our second trip we got the barbequed tofu and avocado sandwich. They were both good, but the seitan was better. I think waiting a few hours before eating the sandwiches didn't help them - but they were still good! As for the muffins and cookies they were again excellent. We picked up sweet potato, cranberry, and apple walnut muffins all of which were excellent. These were some of the best restaurant-made muffins I've ever had.

Pros: Wonderful muffins, great sandwiches, health food
Cons: I wish it was open earlier for breakfast
veggie_burgers
veggie_burgers

OMG

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

when you go there get one of the sandwiches. they are so good and are the best vegan sandwiches ive ever had. the banana bread is also mention worthy with its dark chocolate yummyness. it is so worth going there if you are anywhere near by, even if you've already eaten, just grab a snack or something, this place is just that good. its so fresh. the place itself is also very nice looking and there is stuff you can buy. oh, to go to the bathroom you have to go through the kitchen and down the stairs.

Pros: yummy, healthy, tasty
Cons: small place
WynneSchuster
WynneSchuster
  • non-vegetarian

Great sandwiches!

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2008

I love this place! Wish the muffins weren't always so brown/burnt but when they aren't, they are so good! Would love to see organic carrots be used so I can enjoy juices there too but I guess I can continue to get those at Noah's.

Pros: Big and yummy sandwiches, location, lemonade
Cons: a washroom would be nice
sergeantyeti
sergeantyeti

Urban Herbivore muffins are superb

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2008

We visited Urban Herbivore in Toronto recently. We had the BBQ seitan sandwich and a sweet potato/banana muffin that was incredible. Very moist and delicious. Fresh juices also available. I believe this place is totally vegan so vegans can feel confident that they will find something.

The place was clean when we visited and I cannot account for the earlier review that claimed the place was dirty.

philjdomm
philjdomm

Attitude staff

3 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2008

Just got back from good ol happy go lucky west coast and the first vegan restaurant i approach was here.
the male (with many tattoos) had alittle attitude with me because i was too perky for his taste i guess.

Dear Owner and Manager of Urban Herbivore - Kensington Market: