Vegan sandwich shop attached to Upton's Naturals production facility. Offers an array of classic sandwiches made vegan: pastrami, Italian, tempeh, bacon seitan, BLT, and breakfast. Try a side of mashed potatoes & gravy or the fried bacon mac. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Take-out

Mcarlsonlane
Mcarlsonlane

Upton's Breakroom Rules

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2014

Upton's is a really great option: all-vegan, nice new space, easy street parking (if you drove). Some of my favorite menu items are the Fried Bacon Mac and Monsoon dessert. For the main meal, the Employee Meal is a good way to go (like a daily special). They have brunch on the weekends now, too, which I need to check out.

Pros: Really fresh and delicious, Nice space, Reasonably priced
Cons: Small space
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Could be so much better, but not bad

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2014

This is a small cafe attached to the Uptons corporate building. They make good food, based on the Uptons products, such as fried "bacon" mac and "cheese", "Pastrami" sandwiches, etc. They also have soft serve "ice cream," and I have tried really hard to like it, but it's really not that great. 100% vegan.

Pros: 100% Vegan!, Good Food
IantheVedge
IantheVedge

Seitan Wizards

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

If you've never had Upton's Seitan look for it in stores! The break room is attached to the factory where they make the seitan, it's small, and it doesn't have a sign so it's easy to miss.
Upton's is an active part of the community and we are grateful for them! They even have benefits for local animal organizations!
The staff is friendly, the food is good but not much variety, they have vegan soft serve!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Food, Local and active the community
Cons: Small venue, Little variety

The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Seitan galore

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2014

Yay. I was really thrilled to see on happycow that Upton's opened up a retail location. It's small but comfy enough, and the sandwiches are tasty and inexpensive.

I don't have time to make seitan at home, so sometimes I would grab a pack of their packaged seitan at Whole Foods Market (in the refrigerated foods section by the tofu and other faux meats). Throw the seitan in a stir fry with veggies and noodles, and voila: dinner.

Rosa and Joe
Rosa and Joe

Delicious sandwiches!

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

Upton's Breakroom is a small cafe, selling a choice of maybe 6 sandwiches and a couple of sides, plus cakes and cookies. We went twice, and everything we tried was delicious - favourite overall was probably the Italian Sausage sandwich, but we loved the tempeh and breakfast muffins as well. Plus the most over-the-top but delicious brownies I've ever come across! Sides were tasty too (gravy + mash or bacon mac + cheese), very friendly - reccomended

mariec1
mariec1

Tasty Sandwiches and More!

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

Had to stop in to try their "pastrami" sandwich. It was very, very tasty. Also had a side of mashed potatoes & gravy. Very good as well.
As the other reviewers said, it's small but the food was delicious. Have to go back to try their mac & cheese.

Pros: Delicious sandwiches, Street parking, Friendly staff
Cons: Location not near me, Small seating area
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great place

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

Great new business. When driving to this destination, keep your eyes peeled because it's hard to spot. There is limited seating and the menu itself is small too.

I tried the fried bacon mac & cheese during my first visit, it was alright and the bacon tasted like seitan. For dessert I had the chocolate soft serve ice cream. I would recommend the addition of vanilla soft serve, or even offering the chocolate/vanilla twist, as I thought the chocolate ice cream by itself tasted like Hershey's syrup.

During my second visit I ordered the BLT (I gave the 'bacon' another shot) and the mashed potatoes and gravy. I thought they'd use vegenaise on the sandwich, but it was something else. I felt the sandwich could use a bit more flavor. The mashed potatoes were good.

Upton's has sold wraps and other things in stores such as Whole Foods and I was surprised to see they were not on the menu at UB. When the wraps are fresh they are quite delicious, I hope to see them offered in the café one day.

The employees were extra friendly and the location was very clean. The prices were very reasonable as well. I understand there are a few kinks to work out here and I'm confident my next visit will result in additional cows.

Dear Owner and Manager of Upton's Breakroom:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Chicago page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/10/14