Organic natural foods market and vegetarian food restaurant with raw options. One or two people there speak English. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto. Raw, Organic, Juice bar

First Review by miss tansy
Ageorge06
Ageorge06

Extremely helpful and thoughtful staff

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

I don't normally go for raw food but this place was close to where I was staying and so I tried it and I'm glad I did! I'm not sure if he was the owner but a guy working there named Alex was super helpful. He spoke very good English and was able to suggest a juice, some raw food and even a dessert. I had a raw but type burger. The best part was the cashew cream with strawberries for dessert!

Pros: Wonderful staff, Great service, Delicious dessert
Vegtravel4
Vegtravel4

Pricy; cooked food is tasty

4 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

We aren't raw, but after reading mixed reviews on Veg Social Clube, I wanted to try this place while in Ipanema. It's not too far from the beach, and it's nice to do a walk through the Leblon neighborhood, which is very safe and well designed.

We shared the tofu burger and pesto gnocchi. They have an English menu and a couple English-speaking servers. Just make sure what you order is also vegan, as they aren't 100% vegan at all. I had been CRAVING a veggie burger, and while this wasn't quite the same as what I get back home in the states, it was pretty good. The gnocchi was even better.

I would give this place two big thumbs up if it weren't for the cost. $15 for a tiny veggie burger with zero sides (no fries, no soup or salad, nothing) is steep. The portions were small.

That being said, we enjoyed our lunch here, and I loved looking at the bookstore right next to this place.

FYI - this is on the first floor of a small shopping center, so just go inside and find it towards the back. You won't see a sign out front. :)

Pros: Good cooked food, A tofu burger!, English menu and service
Cons: Price, Portion size
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

best raw food ever

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

I had my first raw food experience in Universo Organico and it couldn't be better.
The raw zucchini lasagna is one of the best things I've had the chance to taste in my life and Universo Organico is a mandatory place for vegans in Rio. Yes, it is expensive, but it's totally worth it.

Pros: Perfect

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Great find in Rio

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

We still haven't covered all the vege restaurants in Rio so this may be a bit premature, but we wouldn't be surprised if this is the best gig in town.

The menu is a bit schizophrenic... at first it looks to be all raw vegan and then you notice some cheese popping up here and there, then you spot some cooked food in a cabinet (pastries filled with cheese) and then you spot the word 'chicken' on the menu and things get confusing. Nevertheless, it is mostly raw vegan and organic - and they do it very well. Just make sure you know what you're ordering and you'll be fine.

The drink list is quite interesting and varied - they taste good but are mostly fruit based, so if you're after more vegetables in your juice, the Veg Social Club a few doors down is much better.

The food menu is pretty standard raw veg fare, but they do it well, with very nicely balanced flavour profiles. The mushroom hamburger in particular is great (not huge though). Other options include raw pastas, lasagnas and salads. The desserts are nice too but you do need to have a sweet tooth... the combination of these with the fruit juices was too much sweetness for us in one sitting. We also noted they sold agave in their store inside and we are not big believers in the healthfulness of that product - others will like it no doubt though.

We were quite lucky in that one of the waiters spoke good English so was able to answer our questions and explain things a bit. The others weren't English speakers but were friendly and generally helpful nonetheless.

The ambience is average since it's set in a shopping mall type location right next to a theatre. Not a whole lot to look at, but not unpleasant either. They also do deliveries. People have mentioned the high prices - compared to American prices though they are not too bad, you just have to change the mindset a bit... good food does not come cheap, particularly when it is hard to find.

Pros: organic!, raw!, nice flavours
Cons: a lot of sweetness, not enough greens, mall type setting
glutenfreeit
glutenfreeit

Great restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2012

We loved this restaurant.
We both follow a gluten free diet and we eat mostly vegetarian. Everything on the menu was gluten free, except for a wheatgrass drink and sandwiches (however they will make with gluten free bread on request).
Only the owner speaks English and they have a separate English menu. That's not so good if the owner is not present, as the staff cannot understand what you have ordered. We know a wide array of Latin languages, so reading Portuguese is not that difficult for us, however it's not the case for everyone.
The choice of juices (without added sugar) is impressive. We had a really delicious meal for about R$ 120 (around 45 €) in total for 2 people (we had a juice, a main course and a dessert each).
About the price: eating in Rio is expensive anyway and this restaurant doesn't use cheap processed ingredients, so the price is fully justified. And we are also glad to pay slightly more for the peace of mind of having a fully gluten free meal also suitable for a diabetic.

Pros: gluten free, suitable for diabetics, healthy food and juices
Cons: language skills
davidinrio
davidinrio
  • raw

Thank you, Thank you!

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

I've been raw vegan for two months, and this is the best eating I've done since. I had a mushroom burger that featured two amazing sauces and a side of a cauliflower "rice" which was a meal in itself. For dessert I died and went to heaven -- A frozen chocolate pudding in a vanilla bean cashew sauce. I ate it as slow as possible and savored each small bite.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, perfect dessert
ieve
ieve

delicious but very expensive

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

The food is totally delicious, wish I could try everything they sell. But it is excessively expensive and cares just about the health benefits of vegan diet. The place is kinda new agey. The juices are called things like Yellow Chakra or Light of Uranus which is something that I personally dislike. Anyway, it is a great gourmet vegan place. I highly recommend it if you can afford it.

Two specific things I highly recommend:
The white chakra juice
The brownie with banana cream

Pros: vegan, fantastic food, organic
Cons: expensive, new agey, hippie chic
vitor.adrien
vitor.adrien
  • raw

Does raw and vegan food...

3 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2009

But sells chicken, so it isn't a vegan restaurant. Anyway, I heard that the food is really great! But it is so expensive that I never went there.

Pros: great food
Cons: expensive, sells chicken
foodie
foodie

Fantastic Food!

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2008

I and two friends spent a few days in Rio and discovered this wonderful place thanks to Happy Cow on our second day. Situated in close proximity to another vegetarian place, this outdoes it in every respect. Extensive menu, fabulous food presented beautifully. Staff are friendly and helpful even though they spoke limited english when we visited in November 2008. a little pricey compared to other places, bit worth it for the taste! Situated at the back of an arts centre, there's a lively buzz in the evenings. The lasagne was amazing, full of flavour. We loved a dish with cashew cream, shame I can't remember it's name! Make sure you try the delicious refreshing juices - we loved the award winning Sunlight juice. Desserts are delightful in their flavours. The choice of drinks and dishes is impressive. We enjoyed several meals here, all of which are unforgettable. In our opinion, it's the best place for vegetarians/vegans in Rio.
I'd like to see it open for a little longer in the evening, to 10.30pm.

Pros: delicious attractive food, good portion sizes, friendly staff
miss tansy
miss tansy

delicious

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

We stumbled on this hidden gem by accident. It's a very humble looking little place but don't be put off. We were so excited to eat raw food in Rio. The food is great and the owner is super friendly and speaks english.

Pros: vegan, raw food, tasty
Cons: low key

Dear Owner and Manager of Universo Organico: