100% vegan & organic supermarket with deli counter. A workers co-operative. Offers selection in fresh organic fruits and vegetables, sugar free products, fair trade products. more-less
89 Albany Road, Chorlton

RubyFriel
RubyFriel

Vegan Supermarket

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

The only 100% vegan supermarket I know of.

So good not to have to check the labels of everything.

Lots of vegan products that can be difficult to find elsewhere, all under one roof.

Good deli counter.

amzhatch
amzhatch

i love unicorn

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

unicorn has such a lovely smell and atmosphere, i love it. my boyfriends mum is always buying me cakes and pies and houmous from there, i wish i lived nearer to it

Bhammer
Bhammer

Superstore

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

Wonderful range of organic food at reasonable prices. Great variety of cheap fresh fruit and veg. and basic wholefoods. Good deli takeaway. Service usually good and friendly.

Pros: Wide range of wholefoods, Deli takeaway
Cons: Not open on Mondays, Could do with a cafe

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

If only there were a Unicorn Grocery in every city

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

I've come in here a few times on visits to Manchester, and it's always somewhere I stop by if I possibly can! I was first brought here by someone I was couchsurfing with who knew I was vegan to get lunch for a conference, and was blown away from the moment I arrived. So much delicious food! And then it got even better when I found out that everything in the whole shop was vegan. I ate so much delicious food (and especially their awesome cake) that weekend.

Pros: Everything is vegan! , Loads of choice, Great food and ethics
Cons: There isn't one in every city on Earth
anomaly77
anomaly77

Laura's Idea

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

So who ever this Laura is, I like her ideas! They sell these ready made dishes from this LAURA.... delicious!! The deli counter has some amazing stuff too. The bread choice is great as well! The best is of course the best fresh vegetables you get from the store. There is plenty choice and I guess you get everything you need for a weekly shop but I recommend do twice a week so that you do not waste the vegetables!

The best in the town! Trust me if you shop here, you will not shop anywhere else ( only applicable for the wonderful veggies and vegans)

Pros: Choice, Location, Very friendly staff
Cons: some things pricey
Sam883
Sam883

The ULTIMATE Vegan store

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

Massive choice, You can do ALL your shopping here. Recycled Toilet Roll to Organic Hemp oil with everything inbetween. A wonderful local veg patch you can help with.

The people running Unicorn are doing so much to help ecological farming and the community.

Pros: Massive selection, Wonderful Staff, Amazing place
Cons: THERE ARE NO CONS
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

huge vegan grocery

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

i have to echo all the positive reviews on here about unicorn. great selection, friendly staff, huge store, good prices, nice hot-bar/deli counter, etc...

Pros: size, options, staff
VeganRocker
VeganRocker

Heaven?

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2012

Wonderful store, larger than I expected. A lot of variety and very helpful staff.

Pros: great selection, helpful staff
mikebinos
mikebinos

Amazing.

Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

Chorlton is a nice little neighborhood, and Unicorn makes it stand out. Great prices on bulk food (though it's not fill your own bag, the bulk food is already in specifically sized bags ie. 500g, 1kg, etc). All vegan; local organic produce (including some from their own farm outside the city). Their bakery section includes some wonderful bread from local bakeries as well as great flapjacks and cakes and Halva (don't know how much is baked by them and how much is just sold there), also a great tofu cheesecake. The beer/wine selection looks great too.

Caryne
Caryne

Brialliant vegan grocery store with great takeaway

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

Huge totally vegan 'supermarket' that stocks an amazing range of products. Vast selection of organic fruit and veg, spices, alcohol etc. Delicious vegan takeaway sections with sweet and savoury foods plus hot soup. Brilliant play area for children and good value prices. Just cannot recommend this place enough.

Pros: Vegan, Excellent choice , Great Value
Cons: Too far from where I live!!
Jan Hicks
Jan Hicks

A life saver in suburban Manchester

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2011

I love Unicorn. It sells organic fruit and veg, plus a good array of seeds to encourage you to grow your own veg, it has helpful staff/co-operative members, it has a deli bar & chiller cabinets with delicious vegan food, and it sells my favourite soya milk in six-packs. You can also get eco-friendly toiletries and household products, and they sell both sturdy re-usable bags and string bags that scrunch up small enough to put in a pocket and expand to carry your weekly shop. Whether you're just someone who wants to take care of the planet more, or someone who's a committed vegan, if you live in Manchester, Unicorn is a great place to shop.

Pros: Organic produce, Healthy food, Friendly staff
Monkeyandmouse
Monkeyandmouse

I worship the ground this grocery walks on

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2011

Wonderful in every respect. Beautiful, organic veg, as locally sourced as possible, some even grown by the grocery itself, seedlings on sale, normal and bulk-size bags of grains, beans, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, flours, everything you could think of. Conscious, dedicated to direct relationships with suppliers, co-operative, helpful, groovy workforce, natural cosmetic available, local, decent breads, lovely place just to be in.

Pros: Great organic veg, Excellent value, Beautiful ethos
Cons: Deli counter might enjoy a revamp
fire horse
fire horse

Great vegan grocery

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2010

A fantastic choice of vegan and mostly organic wholefoods... everything you could need. Flour, cereals, legumes, condiments, breads, cakes, biscuits, drinks, milk, tea, coffee, spreads and also tinned and bottled foreign foods. A well stocked deli, fridges filled with snack foods and tofu products. Fresh fruit and vegetables at mostly a better price than the big chains.
I love the organic stone ground, part rye bread with sunflower and poppy seeds - I will always pop in and buy that if I'm passing.
They also have vegan beauty products and cosmetics, household cleaners, bottles of wine and beer.
They also have a good range of seeds for growing your own stuff.
Well worth a visit... a thumbs up from me.

Pros: tidy, organised, well stocked
Cons: none that I can think of
charr_coal
charr_coal

i

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

and ADORE Unicorn!!! I've not been since last summer - we live a bit away, you see: but I've been pormised a trip over there beofe I start college - I love buying the small jute-bags and filling them like mini-hampers for my family - SO much more environmentally friendly than gift bags and SO cuteee too! Great choice of food - if I wasn't going into modelling I'd happily eat myself to death by their deli ;D YOU HAVE TO GO!!!!

Pros: Environmetally aware, choice and brands, car park
Cons: bit hidden, bit privcey
cath
cath

Top!

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2007

Great to have an all vegan shop on our doorstep. And somewhere that sells Palestinian Olive Oil. Mmm, and the deli is always worth a look-in...

Pros: good value, good range, child-friendly
Stevie
Stevie

Unicorn Grocery, Manchester

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2007

I ahev to agree with that others have said. Superb.

Pros: 100% vegan vegetarian, Open 7 days, Huge choice
louis
louis

Unicorn Grocery- Out of the Ordinary

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2007

Unicorn offers an exciting range of products way beyond the normal offerings of smaller health food/vegetarian stores. I particularly liked the variety of tofu products on offer; tofu slabs, sausages, burgers etc, with varieties I haven't encountered before.

They also have some excellent vegan pies and savouries, including some very tasty items such as a tofu calzone and a Hungarian Goulash pie, again the likes of which I haven't been able to buy elsewhere. The fruit and vegetables I tried looked and tasted top drawer.

As well as a good range of toiletries, they carry some make up items such as mascara.

A good selection of vegan wines, ales and ciders. Enjoyable and easy to browse owing to the wide aisles and well thought out layout. Very pleasant staff. Well worth a trip.

Pros: offers hard to get items, cooperative, open Sundays
Foxtrot
Foxtrot

Health Central

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2007

A hugely successful vegan organic supermarket with the best deli counter in Manchester. A totally ethical place, and the range of fruit and veg is very impressive. 2 small niggles: I do find their policy of sugar-free a bit contradictory. They won't stock things containing brown sugar, but will stock things with corn syrup or molasses. I also don't like the amount of SUVs in the car park. Many of the customers are clearly 'Observer-reading organic mums'.

Pros: Affordable organics, it's all vegan, the carob fridge cake :)
Cons: Some of the customers
child of the trees
child of the trees

Wonderful

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2007

Truely is a wonderful place to shop the staff are friendly and helpful. The products are wide ranging and the choice of organic fresh produce is amazing no small crappy carrots here! Just because it's organic does NOT mean it has to be tiny (don't believe tesco ! In fact DON'T shop at Tesco shop here!) The prices are fabulous. It is a Coop which is wonderful. Being a vegan who can't eat sugar nor Yeast I find this place a life saver ! :) The range of stuff on offer is great ! Only problem I have is that they have stopped selling Buckwheat flakes :( So I go hungry at breakfast now ! :(
Oh, if yu have children they get a free apple or fruit as you walk round , they also have a play area !

Pros: Excellent value, great friendly staff
Cons: no buckwheat flakes :(
DJAlbertFreeman
DJAlbertFreeman

The pinnacle

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2006

This really is the ultimate vegan shop, there are many that are great, but this really is the pinnacle. Their policies on what they do and don't stock are spot on.

Pros: variety, organic, local produce
Cons: I don't live in Mancs