Serves meat, veg options available. Tiny hot dog shop that offers both organic sausage dogs as well as vegan dogs in several flavors. Each dog comes with choice of wheat or white bun, served plain. Help yourself to the toppings & condiment bar (mustard, ketchup, hot sauce, sauerkraut, raw onion, relish). The sides and desserts are all vegan suitable and might include potato salad, cole slaw, and sweets like cookies and pie. Couple small tables inside, or sit outside on the bench. Minimum charge with credit card required. Price: Moderate more-less
Organic, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
1643 Irving St (19th Ave)
San Francisco, California 94122

Chia
Chia

Tasty veggie dog

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and stopped in to try the vegan dog, October 2012. Here's my Underdog review.

It's a tiny little shop with 1 or 2 small tables inside and a bench outside for seating. The interior is colorful and you order at the counter. The chalkboard menu above the counter shows an "organic sausage" list, then a vegan dog list, then sides and drinks list. The vegan dogs come in your choice of wheat or white bun, and you help yourself to the toppings bar which has mustard, ketchup, sauerkraut, chopped raw onion, relish, and hot sauce.

I got the basic vegan dog, $3.99. It's not a small soy weiner like what the tofu-pups sold in stores -- it's a thicker and more flavorful. It came piping hot between whole wheat buns, and I topped mine with sauerkraut, mustard, and hot sauce. Tasted good.

I'm not a fan of the hot dog, though, because this food is just too salty for me even before one adds on the mustard and relish, etc... but Underdog is still a fair choice for vegetarians and vegans who want to get a hot dog cheap and quick. $3.99 to $4.29 each.

The woman at the counter told me that their sides and desserts are always vegan suitable. On this day I saw cole slaw, potato salad, and one kind of cookie.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Underdog

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2010

Underdog kind of lived to up its name, it was an underdog... I was really excited to check this place out, it's a cute little hot dog place located just outside of Golden Gate Park so it's very convenient if you're going that way. The guy working the register was very nice/friendly and was helpful when it came to helping me figure out what to get. I settled on the classic hot dog and my friend ordered one of the vegan sausage items. While the dog itself tasted good, the condiments were very lackluster. Had they had more/better condiments and toppings I feel the hot dog and sausage would have been much better.

neekole
neekole

good dogs

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2010

i enjoyed this place a lot. it is very small, right by golden gate park. we went there while visiting the park. they had about 7 vegan sausages/hotdogs. we had the brautwurst and the sage and apple sausage. the sausages are hand made. the brauts and hotdogs seemed like they were packaged (but still good). they also have vegan potato salad, which was delicious. they were also well priced. for two dogs, potato salad, and a soda; we paid about $13. they were busy when we went and there isn't much seating, but it wasn't a hassle. the lady working was very nice.

Pros: taste, price, nice staff
Cons: limited seating

XspeedyX

Miss Chris
Miss Chris

I Heart Underdog!

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

After 18 years as a vegetarian, I've recently transitioned to vegan and Underdog has really helped. Everything in the place is organic and they have several flavors of vegan sausages. My mom and I go pretty frequently for lunch. Risa, one of the owners is super friendly and always remembers us and our order. We get the organic salad (ask for it w/out onions if you don't like them), the Italian sausage on a yummy toasted wheat bun, tater tots and a cold organic iced tea...deee-lish! It's a tiny little place with just 3 tables inside, but we've never had a problem getting a seat. There's also a bench outside with some TV trays for holdin' your dog and tots. The posters inside and the colorful chalk drawings on the sidewalk out front all make for a fun and friendly atmosphere. They also sell an assortment of the tastiest organic snacks. If you're out with a non-veg friend, this is a good place for a quick, tasty, organic meal that will satisfy you both.

Pros: Vegan, Organic, Friendly
Cons: Tiny, Not 100% Vegan, Not on my block

Dear Owner and Manager of Underdog: