Under One Sun

Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe and juice bar located in the Central Market House. Uses fresh ingredients including organic produce and whole grain breads. Labels vegan. Prices cheap to moderate. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Juice bar, American, Take-out, Non-veg
34 W Philadelphia St (Central Market House)
York, Pennsylvania 17401
717-873-6182

First Review by vickiPA
NoiseBeforeCoffee
NoiseBeforeCoffee

Veg Friendly & Vegan Options, but could be better

3 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

I was really excited when Under One Sun opened. It is located in Central Market and originally was an all vegetarian restaurant. They added bacon to the menu and then more and more meat. I would say that it is very vegetarian friendly, but disappointingly not terribly vegan friendly. The sandwiches all contain cheese and are very centered around the cheese, leaving not a whole lot to them when you take the cheese away. There are vegan options, but they are pretty uninspired (think hummus and salads). I think that I just feel extra disappointed because I was so hopeful when they opened. Good news: there are things that you can eat! Bad news: it's nothing exciting or worth seeking out.

Pros: Juice Bar, Veg and vegan options
Cons: Fairly slow service
Yerinnia
Yerinnia

Yum yum yum!!

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2014

Update from some of the previous reviews here: under one sun has stopped serving vegan cheese. I got the apple a day, but with hummus instead of cheddar. It was so so good! Parents got sandwiches too and enjoyed them. Everything came with a side of tortilla chips. Wish I lived closer so I could visit again!

Pros: awesome sandwiches, friendly staff
groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Not 100% vegetarian, but veg*n-friendly

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2011

I visited Under One Sun 6-15-11. One of their specials was "Nitrate-free Bacon"--meat. I asked our server about this, and she explained that while they are otherwise a vegetarian restaurant, they occasionally sell meat items. Hence it is not accurate to label them as a "vegetarian" restaurant. They tell me though that the grill is always vegetarian.

My husband and I found our lunches were delicious as well as reasonably priced. I had the "Apple A Day" sandwich of grilled rice-based vegan cheese and gala apple slices on multi-grain bread. Vegans, note that the default cheese for this sandwich is cheddar and the default bread contains honey, so be sure to specify that you want this sandwich vegan. The sandwich was supposed to come with spinach on it, but they were out of spinach. Our server offered to try to find some spinach for us at the market, but I was hungry and told her not to bother.

My husband had the stir fry of fresh seasonal vegetables. They added lots of hot sauce because he loves hot sauce, and he loved this. (Note - hot sauce is completely optional!)

We were sitting next to a regular who loves the food here and recommended many items.

Other items I tried: the "Painted Pineapple" smoothie--"sweet ripened pineapple w/a medley of berries and OJ." I had our server add some bananas to this. This smoothie was good, but not spectacular. Also, they use an Oster blender so consequently was a bit less smooth than those made with a high power blender such as Vitamix. I had a gluten-free chocolate muffin which was small (about ½ cupcake sized), cost $2.75, and was dense and fallen in appearance, and just okay. I loved the raw apple pie though!

Overall, I like this place quite a bit--delicious, reasonably-priced lunches, friendly helpful staff and customers, and would not hesitate to come here again. My gripe is that they sell bacon, yet are labeled as a "vegetarian" restaurant. They are very veg*n-friendly, however, and there is no meat on the menu.

Note that they are in the Central Market, and parking is metered outside.

Pros: Delicious entrees, Friendly, helpful staff, Mostly organic food
Cons: Labelled veg but serves meat, Ran out of an ingredient, Metered parking
  • DannyRebel DannyRebel

I noticed the "bacon" one day and one day only. I think they toyed with that and then stopped it. Today there was none. I'm not sure where they are labeled as a Vegetarian restaurant. I think the owner goes more after a Healthier Option market food stand.

I find it refreshing that a place like this is available, even if it did have a token meat item on the menu versus all other places that have a token "vegetarian item" on their menus.

• DannyRebel DannyRebel

3/3/2012 - Place has expanded space now but some items dropped off the menu and meat items have replaced them. Still about 65% vegetarian.

vickiPA
vickiPA

Delicious

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

Jolene made me a grilled rice cheese and dill picle sandwich and a piece of pie: all vegan. It was delicious!

Pros: delicious food

Dear Owner and Manager of Under One Sun: