Serves meat, veg options available. Cooperatively run coffee shop. Has vegan cookies and muffins, gluten-free, veggie wraps, fair-trade coffee, soy-based drinks. Live music and open mic, artwork display. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Canadian, Western, Fast food, Non-veg
610 Somerset St W (Chinatown)
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 5K4
613-656-1638

Call for Hours

First Review by procrastinasian

Not bad, free wi-fi helps

3 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

I used to live around the corner so I think I have a pretty good idea about Umi. Some staff are pretty on top of things, some are pretty "doh".

The food is hit and miss and it depends on what's up, they never had a real consistency there, when it was good it was great, when it wasn't it was borderline bland or just *meh*

It's more of a coffee/tea place unless they have extensively overhauled the menu since I was there last.

The dipstick element can be there in full force on some days. It was very exasperating being exposed to some people's opinions at too loud volume when in there to read/study/chill with friends, but I still went because you can't blame the staff for tolerating loony tunes characters when they come out for sustenance.

Pros: not too expensive, free wi-fi, vegan treats
Cons: meh look, that dolt playing piano and singing, the creep content on occasion

Good sandwiches

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

I was pleased with this place! My husband and I are both vegan, and I couldn't find an Umi Cafe menu online, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. We had two different sandwiches (clearly labeled vegan on the menu), which were both delicious and a really good value. We would definitely go back. There's a very student/bohemian vibe in there, and it was really busy on a Sunday at lunchtime.

Pros: Great value, tasty food
Cons: Needs more vegan desserts

Dear Owner and Manager of Umi Cafe: