Udupi Palace - SF

San Francisco Indian restaurant featuring South Indian cuisine. Extensive selection of dosa crepes filled with spiced stuffing and food like idly, samosa, uthappam, thali and curries. Has another location in Berkeley Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Delivery, Take-out, Catering
1007 Valencia St (21st St, Mission District)
San Francisco, California 94110

AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Very authentic south Indian

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Udupi Palace seems like one of the most authentic Indian restaurants in SF. You're served on metal trays, and the dosas are huge, thin, and legit. It's pretty small inside and has something of the kind of atmosphere you find in restaurants in south asia. I certainly wouldn't use the word tranquil to describe it, but I've never found it too loud to enjoy a meal.

This area is a bit hard to park in so leave yourself extra time if you're driving.

Pros: Authentic, Tasty
Chia
Chia

Well-Spiced Indian Cuisine

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to eat here on a recent trip to San Francisco. Here's my Udupi Palace review.

It's located on a busy area of Valencia alongside other restaurants. The interior is causal, simple, with dark cherry furniture and some Indian decor. The menu offered a variety of dishes, from which I picked samosas and a vegetable biryani.

The samosas were okay--spicy but not too salty. The vegetable biryani is an aromatic basmati rice pilaf, and it was rather spicy but well-spiced; i really enjoyed the spices and the flavor.

I saw an Indian family eating there, so that must be a good sign that its authenticity pleases also Indians. Non-Indian guests were also present.

Pros: all veg, good use of spices, friendly
Cons: can be very spicy
Lex87
Lex87

Udupi Palace

3 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

Yes, they have excellent food there but I did find it very noisy. I like to be able to relax when I go out for dinner but this wasn't a good place to do that. It was quieter taking san francisco tours and going on a walking restaurant tour in the city. I thought the traffic noise would be really bad but the truth is that some restaurants have an unbelievable noise level.

Pros: good food, loud environment, good service
  • TwoHappyVegans TwoHappyVegans

If the noise was an issue for you, why did you place it under 'pro' instead of 'con'? Make up your mind!

haodo
haodo

Great food, terrible noise

3 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

This is a great Indian restaurant for dosa and mango lasi. The customer service is friendly and attentive. The water glasses are constantly filled. The restaurant is clean and nicely arranged. However, it has been extremely crowded and noisy the last 3 times we came in early evenings of Tuesday or Wednesday. My husband and I will never come to this restaurant again because of the busy crowd. Noise and crowd are the only reason that Udupi gets 3 happy cows instead of 5 happy cows. I wish there is more noise insulation or thinner crowd.
All that said, if you don't mind the crowd and noise, you should go to this restaurant for cheap and tasty dosa and attentive customer service. If you hate noise and crowd, Golden Era, Doobu Tofu House, Tao Cafe are better alternatives.

Pros: good dosa, good customer service, cleanliness
Cons: extreme noise, extreme crowd
sglcklch
sglcklch

Excellent South Indian food!

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2010

Came here for dinner last night, food was soooo delicious! (OK, maybe we were just too starving.) But seriously, the uttapam was the best one I've ever had. The ingredients just tasted so fresh. The paratha was very good too. Lucky we came here early, the place started to get busy and a little noisy while we were eating. I very rarely go to a restaurant twice when traveling, but I think I might have to make an exception for this one!

Pros: great food, good portions
Cons: noisy
VeganTex
VeganTex

Udupi Palace

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2009

My fav veg*n Indian restaurant in San Francisco! I'm a little surprised there aren't more reviews. The staff at UP have always been able to point out the vegan items on the menu.

Plattburger
Plattburger

Great selection of vegan goodies

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

Great staff, willing to make special orders vegan and lots of options already on menu.
Good portions too.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, reasonable prices
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

GREAT VEGETARIAN INDIAN FOOD IN SAN FRANCISCO!

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2008

Finally a vegetarian South Indian Restaurant in San Francisco's Mission District! The service is good, the prices are reasonable and the food is outstanding. Menu items are not marked vegan but they do have plenty of options, just ask your server. They are very helpful. I've been there just once so far but I can't wait to go back!

Pros: GREAT FOOD!, Good prices/large portions, Nice room, friendly service
Cons: So far, So good.

Dear Owner and Manager of Udupi Palace - SF: