Vegetarian Indian restaurant in Chicago featuring authentic South Indian vegetarian cooking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Catering, Take-out

First Review by mourn-me-in-skirt
ragajungle
ragajungle
  • non-vegetarian

okay food, poor service

2 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2012

My partner and I went out on Valentines Day for dinner here and though it was busy and we expected a wait we didn't expect to be seated and have to wait over 40 minutes to be greeted and given menues. The wait staff had never seen an interracial gay couple and it became obvious that no one wanted to serve us. The manager came over after arguing with the server and abruptly took our order. not going back.

Pros: clean , nice space
Cons: rude service , long wait
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

All Around Wonderful

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2011

Whenever I'm in the neighborhood, I love to stop in at Udupi Palace. It is so wonderful to be able to order anything on the menu. The dosai are always wonderful (it's a thin crepe filled with a variety of veggie delights). I cannot get enough of their uthappams -- I may have botched the spelling -- it's a huge thin indian pancake that u can get with a variety of veggie combos.

Also worth noting is that this place has always been clean when I've gone there. I have not found the same with other restaurants on the block.

The service is great. Setting is casual. Staff is welcoming, friendly and kind.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

They cook the vegetables so well!!! ;)

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2009

I eat a lot of Indian food and I will say this place has done it right. Usually when I go to Indian restaurants the vegetables are so over cooked that the meal is just unpleasant. Udupi Palace cooked the vegetables perfectly (so they still had a crunch to them) and I felt the entrees were flavored well; however, I asked for my food very spicy and it wasn't up to my spicy standards. So if you'd like your food very spicy, you may want to strongly emphasize that point. Overall though, I can't wait to come back!!!

b_fly1
b_fly1

Ok place

3 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2009

Seen this place on "Check please" and after all the rant and rave I decided to check it out. Overall it was fair. The appetizer Aloo Bonda was delish. Can't remember what the entree was that I ordered, def a Dosai though. It was alright. I like the various sauces they give with pretty much everything. I would try it again. Any suggestions on what others are raving about might be helpful since I was a little confused on what to order. Service was slow.

Pros: various sauces, large menu
Cons: not sure what to order, slow service
nmattei
nmattei

check other restaurants in the neighborhood

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2009

This place is in a Indian pocket with lots of other options..The food was good, but the waiter was a little sketchy about the vegan thing. It's all veg there but items that are vegan are blurry. When I go back to that area I would definitely try somewhere else.

mourn-me-in-skirt
mourn-me-in-skirt

Bring your non-veg friends here!

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2008

Brought 3 non-vegetarian friends to this restaurant, and they all loved the food. The food was fantastic, there was a ton of it, you can BYOB (IF you can find the single tiny hidden liquor store in the area). This place might be the cliche veg place on Devon, but I also think it really is the best one.

Dear Owner and Manager of Udupi Palace: