Udupi Palace

Vegetarian Indian restaurant, affiliated with the Udupi in San Francisco Mission District. Most dishes can be made vegan. A walk from downtown Berkeley BART. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by secret reviewer
imightnotloveyou
imightnotloveyou

Spicy and delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

I love Indian food and am sooo happy this place exists.
Everything I've ordered has been tasty and the people that work there are really nice.
The food is a bit oily but that's normal for Indian food. I recommend the Special Vegetable Curry. Yomay!

Pros: lots to choose from, spicy!, tasty!
Cons: it's a bit "cozy" inside
anagramming
anagramming

Great deal

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

I come here pretty frequently. The prices are extremely reasonable, the portion sizes are HUGE, and the food is great.

vegan_geek
vegan_geek

Good Southern Indian

3 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

They have good southern Indian food such as dosa and uthapham. Not much atmosphere, but the prices are low.

Pros: Food, Price
Cons: atmosphere
earthville
earthville

Respectable Indian meals at reasonable prices

3 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

Udupi Palace does pretty good dosas, vadas, and other South Indian staples. Their samosas are well above average. The staff have always been very warm and friendly. Whenever we've taken friends from India, most of them have been very pleased, with few disappointments.

We would go more often if they used organic ingredients and made efforts to be eco-friendly. There are now so many more health-conscious vegan places in the East Bay that we rarely eat at those with a lower bar for healthful ingredients.

Pros: Better than average Indian food, Quite reasonable prices for the location
Cons: Not all vegan, Not organic
  • earthville earthville

PS: though they aren't all vegan, they are quite vegan-friendly

brianedwardgreen
brianedwardgreen

Good Food Cheap

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

Coming from a city that has, for the most part, only two kinds of restaurants--steakhouses and burger joints--I was not prepared for the variety of vegan and vegan-friendly restaurants in Berkeley. There are incredibly upscale (and expensive) vegan restaurants, and there are modest, inexpensive (and yet still vegan!) places like the Udupi Palace. Possibly the name seems slightly ironic, because the restaurant is not large or fancy. The plates are plastic, the walls and tables are worn, and the decorations are not as fancy or colorful as I've seen in other Indian restaurants. But the prices are low, the portions are large, and the food is delicious. My wife and I ordered dosas, and they were huge! This is the ideal place for students or anyone on a budget, for a quick lunch or dinner, or for fans of Indian food (like my wife and me). The only people I wouldn't recommend it to are business people looking for a place to impress clients, or for couples wanting someplace romantic to dine (not fancy enough).

Pros: Good food, Cheap, Big portions
Cons: A bit worn-down

secret reviewer
secret reviewer

Good food

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2007

I like it here. I've only had two of the dosas, one of them my favorite (masala dosa), samosas, and the lentil donuts (they have an indian name though). I've liked everything. The dining atmosphere itself is casual, and the staff is friendly, helpful, and accomodating.

Pros: great food, accomodating staff, reasonable prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Udupi Palace: