Vegetarian Indian restaurant featuring an extensive menu of South Indian specialties. Has a daily lunch buffet. Vegans to inquire about dairy use. Open Tue-Sun. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Catering

First Review by julesy bear
punzelda
punzelda

Good Buffet

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2014

I've been to Udupi many times, in groups, pairs, and on my own. I've learned that it's best to just get the buffet, particularly if you like your food spicy, because no matter how spicy you tell the waiters you want it, they'll give you no spice at all. The buffet, however, has nice, spicy, authentic, vegetarian Indian food. Lots of options for vegans as well. If you do get the buffet, the waiters will also bring delicious, crispy, potato-filled Dosas to the table, as many as you want, at no extra charge.

Pros: Good buffet, All vegetarian, Lots of vegan options
Cons: Menu ordering not great
aner1kind17
aner1kind17

South Indian!

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

I love South Indian so of course I love this restaurant. Though it is not the best South Indian food I've ever had it is a great find for Cary.

Pros: South Indian, Dosa
Trixie71
Trixie71

Always great! Great service and reasonable

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

I live very close to this restaurant and consider myself lucky. It has never let me down with its consistently good dosas, sambar, curries, rice dishes. I have never been disappointed and I've gone probably 40 times in the last 6 years. It is a family favorite.

Dining room is clean and nicely decorated....lighting is on the dim side.
Wait staff are very attentive. Always filing your glass with water.
Many Indian families go here....that says a lot!
(You might have to deal with young children acting up sometimes due got the family nature do this restaurant)

Price is really reasonable! You can get a dosa with filling, coconut chutney, sambar all for about $6.

My favorite curry is the bargain bartha....but I love everything else too. God bless the folks that work hard here to make such a consistently good place!

Pros: Consistent, Great service, Fair price

Vedas
Vedas

Indian Buffet

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

I have only been for the buffet and it is a little pricey but I make sure to eat my moneys worth. There are lots of options on the buffet and I have enjoyed every dish I have tried. Service is excellent, rarely does my drink get less than half empty. With the buffet they bring you out a freshly made Masala Dosa to your table. The ambiance is nice with white table clothes, dark furniture and the wait staff matching.

Pros: Large buffet, Fast service
Vari
Vari

good south indian food

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2009

Everyone loves Udipi here lol. It really is a wonderful place.

The staff is pleasant, food is good. And their buffet is the best.

Many vegan options, and they can make a few dishes with no garlic, mushroom and/or onion.

Try their version of Chinese fried rice, and their Masala Dosa.

And if you are into Indian drinks, I love their Falooda drink, and Badam(almond) Milkshake.

Pros: pleasant inside, friendly staff, yummy food, great prices
Cons: dont really customize dishes
MichelleD
MichelleD

Best Indian food I have ever eaten!

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2008

Seriously. Best food ever and all veg!! I had the vegtable curry (vegan). Different from other Indian I have eaten,(in a good way).

Nice atmosphere too!

Guest
Guest

Favorite Indian Restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

My husband and I have been to our fair share of Indian restaurants and this is by far the best! It is very reassurring to know that meat will not be near our food since it is a vegetarian restaurant. The staff is always attentive and we never have to worry about running out of water because they are very quick to refill. In addition, the staff is very helpful in telling customers which items are vegan upon request. Their food is always extremely delicious and very affordable. We always leave stuffed!

Pros: Delicious, Affordable , Friendly
julesy bear
julesy bear

A special treat!

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2007

My boyfriend and I love this place. A great date place too. The coconut chutney is delicious with the masala dosa, but everything we've had is good. It's nice to get non-traditional Indian food. Also, the service is always good.

Pros: yummy!, good service, nice atmosphere
Cons: kinda remote for Durham

Dear Owner and Manager of Udupi: