Udipi Cafe

Daily lunch buffet featuring 15-20 items. Also a la carte menu. They are certified kosher as of Aug 2010. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Kosher,Take-out
2100 N University Dr (Sunrise Blvd)
Sunrise, Florida 33322
954-748-5660

First Review by Konakanchi
Wendy Vegan
Wendy Vegan

WONDERFUL!

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

Amazing, flavorful food. Top notch! Go for the lunch buffet so you can try everything. Service is consistently poor, but who cares when the food is this good!!

Pros: FABULOUS food!, Fairly prices
Cons: Poor service
steveveg
steveveg

Pleasant Indian vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

We went to Udipi Cafe for dinner. We had the iddly for appetizer, the Chana Masala and the Corn Capcicum Masala. All the items were delicious. Service was pleasant. We were there close to closing. The other diners appeared to be local residents of Indian origin, always a good sign for an Indian restaurant.

Pros: All Vegetarian, Pleasant service
Nicki
Nicki

Best Indian Food!

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2012

I've been to a lot of Indian restaurants and this is my favorite anywhere. The vegan entrees are labeled, and the staff is knowledgable as to what on the rest of the menu is vegan (for example no dosais are labeled as vegan, but all but one which has paneer actually are). Everything is delicious, and the service is great.

Pros: delicious food, many vegan items labeled, good service
ddubddub
ddubddub

UDIPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

I love this restaurant! very vegan friendly, very friendly, very good food! my biggest complaint is that I have a very hard time making menu decisions because there are so many options!

SMSage
SMSage

Udipi Cafe-a great choice for Florida

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2011

For a California vegan marooned in southern Florida, the restaurant was a life saver. I have had better dosas, but the dosas were well made, generously-sized, and well- prepared. I enjoyed having so many choices, but found the menu confusing, as some of the curries were labeled "vegan" but other types of entrees (dosas...) were not. Overall the food was tasty and enjoyable, and well priced. However, the service was lackadaisical: empty dishes were not removed, water was not refilled, additional chutney had to be requested, papadams were served without chutney and one server appeared to lack enough English to answer a simple question about yogurt in a chutney (and failed to find another staff person to help). We also had to chase down someone to pay our bill. Finally, a kosher-leaning member of our party expressed concerns about the type off kashrut cert. the restaurant had received. All in all though, I enjoyed it. Perhaps next time we will get food to go, which will alleviate a lot of the service issues.

Pros: large, interesting menu, dosas
Cons: service inattentive
midwifejudy
midwifejudy

Incredible Kosher Authentic Indian Cuisine

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2010

Delicious. Kosher vegetarian. The buffet is great for sampling the different dishes and is under $10 (all you want to eat). Many different textures. Alot of vegetables and legumes. Authentic cuisine. Clean and neat. Highly enjoyable.

Pros: excellent food, great value, kosher
Brad
Brad

too salty/spicy

2 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2009

The food had potential but many of the dishes were much too salty and many were very spicy (and i like hot food).

Konakanchi
Konakanchi

Worst Indian resturant in the US!

2 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2007

This is the worst Indian restaurant I've visited in the US. Waiting time after ordering food = 2hrs;
Misleading names for menu items;
Bad customer service;
Worst Indian food....Its not Indian food at all!

Cons: Bad costumer service, bad food, misleading names on menu
  • Gorgeous Gorgeous

No - something is very wrong with this Review.

Menu dishes take time to cook.

Sometimes they have a buffet.

Udipi is one of a very few "Indian" places in the US which respect / cater for vegans having several tofu instead of cheese options.

Plus they have Chinese & Thai style dishes.

• ddubddub ddubddub

I think this review is way off. this restaurant is incredible!

• veganroach veganroach

Are you sure you were in the right place? I have been to Udipi several times and have driven from Miami every time, just to have the pleasure of eating there. The food and service have always been wonderful! I have taken family and friends there and they also loved it. By the way, It was first recommended to me by several Indian friends that I work with. They love it too.

• midwifejudy midwifejudy

I cannot believe this. I have enjoyed the restaurant several times and have always been served very promptly (food took reasonable time to prepare- less than other places I have been) It is clean, the service was very polite and prompt--- and also the cuisine is Authentic Udipi-region Indian food. Just like in the old country. Look around you while you eat- many Indians, women in saris, enjoying their soul-food (just like a New Yorker would enjoy an authentic deli)

Dear Owner and Manager of Udipi Cafe: