Udipi Cafe - Hillcroft

Vegetarian Indian restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Catering
5959 Hillcroft St (Hwy 59)
Houston, Texas 77036
713-334-5555

First Review by Delve
Yahcna
Yahcna

NEEDS PEST CONTROL INTERVENTION

2 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

First of all, I'll admit that the vegan friendly selections on the buffet are delicious! I absolutely enjoyed the dosa, fried bread and a green bean dish that they have on their buffet (I don't remember the Indian name for these dishes though). But my initial enjoyment of the food is as far as it goes.

I really regret that I made a second trip to the buffet table to grab a little more of the green bean dish! As I was standing there waiting for someone in front of me to get their helpings of the buffet, a friendly little roach just politely sauntered to the edge of the serving pans of food (but not going in the food itself. I don't think..)

Though I tried to point out the little critter with as much discretion as possible to the apologetic server, mostly everyone in the line saw it! I just went back to my seat empty handed, not able to bring myself to get anything else.

I thought to myself "Okay, self..you're from the hood, it's not like you haven't seen a roach in a kitchen before".. So I talked myself into finishing the little morsels I had left on my plate that I had before. As I was finishing up that food, I picked up my fork only to detect a hair that was slightly thicker than any human hair, more like an antennae. Yikes! a roach antennae! I paid the tab (against my friend's wishes) and walked out never to go in this place again.

To each his own, so if you don't mind a little roach essence in your food, it's worth a try. (shrug)..
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 20, 2011

Pros: good food, cool buffet price, easy to find
Cons: roaches , bottom of dishes are dirty
KristiLee
KristiLee

Best Dosas ever!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2010

I have eaten here many times over the last several years and have never been disappointed. The food is served buffet style and has the usual selection of soups, vegetarian dishes, rice and pasta in the southern Indian style. What sets this place apart to me is the wider selection of Dosas (a type of filled crepe) than is normally offered. I love the "Spring Dosa" which is very crispy and jammed with all sorts of crunchy veggies. The coconut chutney and tamarind chutney are really nice with this. They nearly always have at several varieties of desserts. Usually a cold one (rice or pudding) and kheer plus my personal favorite, gulab jamuns (a fried milk dumpling in rose scented syrup.)So it's not a vegan restaurant, but they have vegan dishes on the buffet. Parking directly in front of the restaurant is limited, but there is plenty in the adjacent tract center. It can get crowded in this place on the weekends. This is one of my favorite Indian restaurants, worth the drive from the western 'burbs.

Pros: excellent food, good value
Cons: sometimes crowded
gokartmozart
gokartmozart

Very good South Indian food buffet

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2010

This is my favorite Indian buffet place. There are two locations I know of, Sugar Land and the Hillcroft/Little India area of Houston. I have found the food is more my taste in the Sugar Land restaurant, probably due to the cooks there. This is a home-style, Hyderabadi regional food.

Pros: Fresh, hot/spicy, friendly staff
Cons: price has increaed recently
Delve
Delve

I'm a Tamarind Chutney Freak

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2009

It's true..I crave tamarind chutney on a daily basis...I actually dream about tamarind chutney. The tamarind chutney here is (8 times out of 10) outta sight! They have a buffet during the week (lunch hours) and on the weekends. I visit this place on a nearly weekly basis. They have a good buffet variety, and there's always a helpful fellow who let's me know which items are vegan safe (I pretty much know which are and aren't now, but he's there to help you if you're a new customer). Their rasam and sambar are spicy and addictive. The dosas are fast becoming my favorite in town (especially the sada mysore). The food tastes fresh and always has a good amount of spiciness. I've eaten Indian food all over town, and in many other cities - they tend to pale in comparison to Udipi. I really like this place and think the drive is worth it. They also sell snacks at the register most are vegan..most are worth it..especially the yellow ball dessert things. They don't have a label on them..so I can't remember the name. I spoke with the owner and he listed all the ingredients in it for me (VEGAN) and when I'm heading out I buy a bag. Oh and the prices..are super goooood - it runs about $8 a person. You get a dosa and as many trips to the buffet as your little stomach can handle.

Pros: Yummy Food/Yellow ball vegan dessert, Fresh/Spicy, Prices good/Staff nice
Cons: Wish they were closer to town, but I make the drive, cause it's worth it.

Dear Owner and Manager of Udipi Cafe - Hillcroft: