Indian restaurant. Formerly Banaras. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out
3300 Peachtree Industrial Rd
Duluth, Georgia 30096
678-584-5840

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by sam-i-am
calamaestra
calamaestra

It's Okay

3 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

I frequent the buffet at the Upidi in Smyrna so I thought this one would be comparable. There's no buffet here. I was told by the waiter that everything in one section of the menu was "no diary" but on closer inspection I saw items with cheese. After inquiring again I was told that most items had either butter or cheese. He did not offer to make these items vegan for me. I ate a crepe that was vegan-friendly and good, but I do not know that I will return here anytime soon.

spiffysavannah
spiffysavannah

Udipi

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

Hello,

I noticed a bit of the same thing as the first reviewer- the staff are very reluctant to change the menu! I like the dosai with the chickpeas instead of the potatoes, but they flat out told me they can't do that (ok, maybe it's not be the traditional way to eat it, but still...). Anyway, they reluctantly agreed. I go there a lot with my family. Very tasty and cheap food (albeit quite oily).

Pros: cheap, tasty, vegan-friendly
Cons: oily
sam-i-am
sam-i-am

New Owner/Management RUDE!!! 3 strikes you're out!

2 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2011

Udipi, in Duluth GA, was GREAT when it was Banaras (sp?). I returned when it changed names and ownership. The first time was just ok. Service was not great and I was not impressed with the way mgmt. treated their water server/bus girl. The food was good but they refused to assist with my vegan concerns.
Went a second time. Service was great if you were from India. I waited a very long time to order but noticed "others" were being catered to. It irritated me and before I left, I wrote them a very nice "letter" and made them aware of my concerns. I had actually planned on never returning again.
Third visit, not my choice, one of my very best friends is Middle Eastern and wanted to try Indian food for the first time. So we went. It was a nightmare!!! They treated her so horribly, I wanted to get up and leave. For example: She asked for a side of tofu and they refused to bring it to her, saying "That does not go with that (menu item) it is not served that way." I asked "Can you just put some tofu in a bowl and bring it out...we will pay for it?" He said "No" and walked away. My friend got up and went to the bathroom and I called the owner over and told him that I knew he could go in the kitchen, get a bowl, and put tofu in it. That I was aware it was not how they served the dish but it was what she wanted. He said "I will do it." He was irritated. My friend came out at the end of that conversation and told him "No, it's okay. I'm fine. Don't worry about it I will eat it the way you want me to." When he brought it, it was without the tofu. Sad...

I WILL NEVER EVER RETURN THERE AGAIN!

Pros: location, location, location
Cons: Horrible Service, Not the best Indian food, The new decor is unwelcoming

Dear Owner and Manager of Udipi Cafe: