Serves meat, veg options available. A small and colorful place that serves fresh Mediterranean and Ethiopian food, around 70% organic. The owner Maya makes the injera (traditional Ethiopian bread) fresh daily with whole grain teff. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Take-out, Ethiopian, Mediterranean, Non-veg
2501 W Colorado Ave Unit 108 (25th St)
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80904
719-634-5070

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by 4moby
jquest303
jquest303

Awesome!

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2014

The food here is great, and the owner is a gem as well. There is a very cozy feel to this small restaurant, and it is typically busy when I have gone there (twice now). Highly recommended, especially if you are vegetarian or vegan, as there are not a whole lot of places in the area that cater to veg/vegans. Highly suggested!

Pros: Delicious food, Cozy atmosphere, Friendly staff
Redheaded Vegan
Redheaded Vegan

Lovely place, lovely owner

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

Maya is a truly beautiful human being, and each and every time I've been in her restaurant I've been welcomed in as if I was family. I've taken a few different people with me on trips down to The Springs and each one has raved about what a great experience they've had.

The food is incredible - flavorful and spicy, they have a gluten-free injera option, and it's all made fresh to order. Last time we were there, my husband ordered the Ripe Tomato for an appetizer and wowza! I don't know what she does to the tomato, but it is so full of flavor.

The only thing you should know is that service can be a bit slow. Go in prepared to relax and enjoy your company. They are lightly staffed, but it is well worth the wait.

This place is a gem in Old Colorado City. Don't miss it!

Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Pros: Incredible food, Welcoming owner, Gluten free injera option
Cons: service can be slow
Tatiwolfe
Tatiwolfe

Delish!

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

My husband and I went for lunch yesterday, it's was so good, we didn't even leave a trace of food on the plates, the owner welcomed us with a sample of delicious rose water infused lemonade and orange tea, they were so good, make sure when u r there to get one of those. They have vegetarian and vegan options, they've got yummy dessert too! Loved it!

CBurn
CBurn

I love this place!

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2013

Uchenna is a wonderful little place in Old Colorado City. My husband and I tried it on a weekend getaway to CO Springs. Maya, the chef, was kind and made us feel like the only people in her cafe even though the place was packed! The food was wonderful! I recommend this for vegans, vegetarians, and even meat-eaters. You will not be disappointed.

Pros: Wonderful food, Caring service, Fresh food
Cons: Small location
victoire
victoire

Delicious experience

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

So far I've only eaten here once, but I was so impressed with the food, I can't wait to come back. I had the misser wat with injera bread, which I enjoyed so much! I can't wait to try more.

Pros: Delicious, authentic food, relaxing atmosphere
Cons: Slower service
CraigDuncan
CraigDuncan

amazing experience!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2012

Maya really made us feel welcomed to her restaurant as soon as we got there. She was very polite and warm. She gave us samples of her homemade drinks when we sat down, and she let us have a sample of one of the dishes we were thinking about ordering. The food was amazing. There are lots of vegetarian and vegan options, and her injera (teff pancake) is amazing. She even showed us the proper way to eat our dish with our hands. You can definitely tell she prepares her food with love and care. Overall, it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had and will definitely be back to visit Maya and taste the wonderful food from her kitchen.

Pros: excellent service, great tasting food, portions not oversized
4moby
4moby

A real gem

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

We love this place. We always order the vegetarian platter. It is so satisfying and filling. I cannot say enough about how great this place is. Maya is a darling, she always smiles, caters to everyone and is a warm loving person. Our toddler son adores her.
The food is consistently good, never out of the dozen of times we have eaten here have we had one complaint about anything.
You must try this place, you will not regret your decision. If you have never had ethopian food and want to try it, this is the real authentic thing.

Pros: excellent food, warm staff, accomodating

Dear Owner and Manager of Uchenna: