Vegan and raw food delivery turned restaurant, opened in Aug 2013 by two sisters. Menu features menu live food dishes along with some cooked vegan. No soy. Jan 2013 owner reported no longer using bee product. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Raw, Pizza, Catering, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by CindyElder
Mike Weinberg
Mike Weinberg

Bee products are not vegan -- Now off the menu!

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

I've upgraded to 5 stars now that I've learned that bee products are off the menu. :-) Kudos to the sistas!

Visiting from San Diego with family members, I was eager to eat at a 100% vegan restaurant, which was what I assumed from the restaurant's name and its (former) "Vegan" listing on HappyCow.

To my surprise, bee products were on the menu. When I pointed this out to the kind, mature waitress, she said it was a good thing I mentioned it so that she didn’t serve me anything else with those items in it (which made me wonder about the smoothie I was already drinking).

After an otherwise tasty meal, I spoke with one of the “Sistas” to let her know that bee products weren’t vegan. She said she had read they were "healthy."

Naturally, I eat at vegan restaurants so I don’t have to ask or worry about animal ingredients. But after a month, their menu has not changed. I'm hoping the recent downgrade to "Vegetarian" status on HappyCow will convince the sisters to eliminate bee products.

I wish them all the luck in the world as their hearts are in the right place.
Updated from previous review on Friday November 01, 2013

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 27, 2014

Pros: Good wholesome food, Friendly staff, Now 100% vegan!
  • BrettaBlanton BrettaBlanton

Hello Mike, we understand your concern and know that bee products are not considered completely vegan by some. Clearly, bees are an animal. But, did you know that there are countless vegan communities around the world who accept bee products as vegan? Bee products added to the vegan diet has been a point of controversy for quite some time. There are even a number of well-respected vegan nutritionists such as David Wolfe who embrace bee products. I am just using this information to point out that there are some in the vegan community who use bee products and some who don't. We respect both groups of vegans and respectfully call both groups 'vegan'. There are only 3 other vegan establishments in Memphis, and (from my experience) we all have honey in our restaurants. And, another thing that we all have in common is that we will leave the honey out of an order when it is requested- because we understand that people are at different levels. This is what we did when we found out that you did not want any honey. We used date syrup and stevia in your order instead. So, in closing, I just wanted to clarify why we call restaurant vegan, that we are not the only vegan restaurant that uses honey, and also that we leave honey out of orders when requested. We really don't use honey that often and may consider leaving it off the menu one day, but we just don't see it as a problem since we don't use it for those who don't want it. Thanks for your positive feedback- just didn't want you to think that we were forcing honey on people.

CindyElder
CindyElder

great people, great food!

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2014

My husband and I stopped for lunch in Memphis on a long drive home in the spring. We had heard about Two Vegan Sistas, but it was a bit out of our way since we were on the Interstate. We decided to check it out anyway. The food was healthy and delicious, and the women were very nice. After days of eating on the road, a healthy meal was so welcome.

Dear Owner and Manager of Two Vegan Sistas: