Serves meat, veg options available. All veg except for fish. Extensive list of coffees drinks and smoothies, plus a small menu of veggie sandwiches, salads, and baked goods including vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by myboyfriendisdead
AllysonDwyer
AllysonDwyer

Loving neighborhood cafe

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

While Twisted Tree doesn't have a huge huge menu and is not 100% vegan, they are 100% a neighborhood cafe run by two loving, kind people.

Every time I come in the owners greet me by name and ask how I'm doing. They're laid back, casual and they care a lot about the community and their customers. To me this makes them 5 stars.

They have delicious wraps, sandwiches, soups, juices and specialty coffees. They also have baked goods like vegan muffins and carrot cakes and my favorite, vegan ginger cookie.

Give this place a try! :)

Pros: Wonderful owners, Mostly vegan options, Delicious specialty coffee
Cons: Serves fish products
veryvegan
veryvegan

great place

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

Havn't been here in a few years, but their food was great. Very small place at the time but very humble.

Pros: taste/quality, small/semi private
AmberMalave
AmberMalave

Decent

2 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

I went a while back prices werent too too bad, but didnt approve of fennel in my kind of dry meat ball. liked the atmosphere used to live right down the street untill after i moved. sweets were really good though!

Pros: atmosphere, sweets
Cons: 'meatballs' a little dry

Omnimatty
Omnimatty

so delicious.

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

This is my reason for coming to Asbury Park. Love it. You won't be disappointed.

Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
AlishaS
AlishaS

Lovely cafe with delicious eats

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

We had a wonderful experience at TTC. The cafe itself is bright and cheerful as well as immaculate. The owners and staff were beyond friendly and helpful, we were bowled over by their niceness! Based on the steady flow of people in and out while we were there it was obvious there is a real sense of community amongst the patrons and owners. Best of all was the food, very tasty and healthy. We had smoothies, sandwiches, coffees and dessert, all VEGAN and all delicious. There are only a couple of fish items on the menu but everything else including ALL of the desserts are VEGAN. The home made bread (VEGAN) was incredible and the house dressing as well. While the sandwiches looked to be on the smaller side they were actually quite filling and a good reminder that over-sized portions are just not necessary! We had the carrot cake which was amazing and took home muffins which were the best I have had in a long time and I am very particular about my desserts! There is also a choice of soy or almond milk as well which is really nice. Eating out in the numerous and creative vegan restaurants in NYC has spoiled me a bit, but Twisted Tree Cafe really delivered. I can't say enough good things about this place and cannot wait to go back there again.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Friendly staff
kath
kath

Nice Find

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

Was visiting Asbury Pk., NJ and I wanted to find a vegan friendly restaurant. I found this restaurant and was very pleased with the menu selection. Not a big one but still good. I had a green salad with vegan chicken salad for lunch. The portion was fine, good taste, and my non veggie friend liked the food. The atmosphere simple and friendly. Its's nice to find a restaurant like this as there are so few that really offer selections for vegans, even those that say they do. The staff was friendly. It was good to see them busy. My suggestion for the vegan desserts would be to make them truly vegan by not using sugar, maybe using agave, brown rice syrup, etc. Not big on desserts but would have bought something.

Amanda R
Amanda R

I love this place

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2012

I may be biased because I love Asbury Park in general, but this place is great. The only thing I don't like about them (besides serving fish... though I can't say vegans miss out on anything by going here) is that, because it is run by one couple, they are closed for a week during the holidays (when I usually find myself in the area!) and they are not open on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to vegan food, as long as it's not tasteless, healthy food. But yeah, I have enjoyed everything I've tried there, which is a lot. I love the tofu meatball sub, the bean soup, the smoothies (PB&J, YUM) and the desserts, which if I'm not mistaken are all vegan. The portion sizes and prices are very good, and yes, the salad is small but really you are paying for a sandwich and the salad is just a side portion.

Also, the vegan items are clearly marked, and the service is excellent so if you ask them (on the phone or in person) they will tell you what you need to know. The last review I found to be very unfair.

Pros: value, great food, service
Cons: closed often
Pansyflower
Pansyflower

Twisted Prices

1 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

Visiting family in NJ I wanted to eat out at some place other than Kaya's Kitchen, so I tried Twisted Tree. I ordered takeout so I didn't get the full impact of what I'd ordered til I got home -- and it was an impact like falling down the stairs. I ordered a tofu meatball wrap, though I wanted more of a meatball sub I asked them to put it on bread. There was precisely one slice of tofu with one slice of soy cheese, barely enough sauce to dampen the bread and the side salad? Try about six - eight leaves of various greens and MAYBE a piece of cucumber or something (this was about three weeks ago, and a little difficult to remember). For the price it was absolutely atrocious. The taste of the food: the bread was homemade and it was GREAT. The tofu meatballs? Eh, I could have made them and that's not what I look for when I eat out. And it's really hard to ruin a "salad," except, of course, when you don't actually provide one.
[edit by staff]
This is the kind of place that you would never dare take an omni to convince them they can be vegan inexpensively, and that vegan food tastes great.

Pros: bread, atmosphere
Cons: where's the side salad?, not totally veg, food tastes like something you can make
  • Pansyflower Pansyflower

I just found out, from reading another review, that the bread is not vegan. Great, wonderful! So be sure to ask if you're vegan and you go to this place. I don't recall the vegan items being clearly marked, and I suppose I'd gotten so used to veg places I forgot to ask.
    So this disgusts and upsets me in retrospect.

AshleyxMichelle
AshleyxMichelle

Amazing.

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

This place is great. They have amazing food. I love the focaccia melt. The salad, chili, health bars, muffins, granola, soups, and smoothies are great! The food is always fresh. It is very cute an cozy inside. I like how they sell some items at local health food stores. The people are very nice. They also have live music a lot. I wish I could rate this a 5 but it's not totally veg and it's not aloud :(

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere
rmark25
rmark25

quality vegan food

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2010

I had lunch here a couple of months ago and enjoyed the fresh, creative quality vegan food. I also spoke with the new owner a bit and he seemed genuine about the quality of food he prepared. I will definitely go back when I'm visiting that part of New Jersey again. I tried a few items, but really liked the baked tofu sandwich.

Pros: healthy
vin crap
vin crap

Twisted Tree is just great

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2009

I've eaten at the Twisted Tree and gotten tea there on numerous occasions with friends from school. Every time I have had a solid experience, and really enjoy their Chickenless Salad sandwich (on top of other things). The vibe is great, and I love the eclectic mix of people you will find there. I once sat there for 2 hours after eating playing scrabble. It's homey.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Friendly, Amazing drinks
The Vegan Snorkeler
The Vegan Snorkeler

Delicious Food and Amazing Lattes

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2008

I love the Twisted Tree Cafe! The homemade vegan muffins are perfect with a soy chai or soy latte. They also have a huge garden salad that you can get with hummus or soy chicken. It's so filling and delicious. I especially love their homemade miso ginger dressing.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Laid Back Atmosphere
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Wonderful Atmosphere and Great Food!

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2007

The Twisted Tree has a wonderfully unique atmosphere in addition to having great food. It it earthy and homely... Mostly wooden n appearance like it's name, but also comfortable with cushy couches.

The smoothies are great and they have a nice menu selection.

Dear Owner and Manager of Twisted Tree Cafe: