CLOSED: Tutu's Soup Hale

Serves meat, veg options available. Lacto and ovo vegetarian soups and sandwiches with several vegan items. The only non-veg item on the menu is tuna salad sandwich. Pleasant location with indoor and patio seating. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg
4-356 Kuhio Highway (/on Kauai)
Kapaa, Hawaii 96746
808-639-6312

Open Mon-Fri 8am-2pm.

• Cash only

First Review by Shivangi

closed :(

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

We went last year and had wonderful French toast with coconut syrup. Sadly they are now closed. There is a surf shop in their place.

Went back for more of the same

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2011

Bert only had the everything bagel with the trimmings both times, but good enough to return. It's a popular spot with only Bert and his wife (who we didnt get to meet) preparing the food. Our vegan meal was great and the others (not vegan) loved their food. There were no left overs on any one's plate.

Pros: Attitude, Slow, Friendly
Cons: Slow

Tutu's is a Must!!!

4 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2010

Tutu's isn't just a soup house. They specialize in breakfast, sandwiches, and salads. I enjoy the coffees and my favorite is the lemon San Pellegrino. You can sit inside and be cozy or sit outside on the patio. Tutu's is children friendly, and an absolute must for anyone looking for awesome food, superior service, in a warm yet hip environment.

Pros: Excellent service, Delicious food, Homey atmosphere

Very good food!

4 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2010

My husband and I stopped by here for lunch during our honeymoon and we were pleasantly surprised by the service and food!

I had the black bean burger on focaccia and my husband had the portobello burger on focaccia. Both were extremely tasty! We had to sub the Hawaiian sweet bread for the focaccia since the sweet bread isn't vegan, but we loved that there was at least a vegan option and the focaccia was outstanding!

Unfortunately they didn't have a vegan soup option or the vegan pate (shoot!) but our meals were very good.

The owners are supper nice and totally accommodating to vegans! They let us know exactly what was and what wasn't vegan, which makes things o-so-much easier.

There are many other menu items that are vegetarian on the menu, though! A lot of their breakfast stuff looked good, but being vegan, we couldn't try anything!

Worth stopping by!

Pros: Cool atmosphere, good food, nice service
Cons: Not many vegan options

Excellent Cafe in Kaua'i!

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2009

This was definitely one of my favorite places during our trip to Kaua'i! My family and I stumbled upon Tutu's one afternoon by chance when we were looking for coffee. We were immediately charmed by the very friendly owners, Sage and Bert, who asked if we could wait while they ground the coffee beans. We were happy to wait, and while we did, we realized that this little cafe had much more than just coffee on the menu. My brother and sister-in-law are vegan and I'm (nearly) vegetarian, and an item called "cashew-basil pate" caught our eye. Bert and Sage gave us free samples of this, as well as of the vegan lentil brown rice soup, and we were smitten by both - even though we had *just* finished lunch elsewhere! The pate was so tangy, creamy, and had so much wonderful flavor, and it was served on this incredible homemade grilled focaccia; the lentil soup was hearty and perfectly spiced. We asked for an order of the cashew-basil pate to go, and they ended up giving us a huge helping of the lentil brown-rice soup on the house to take with us!

We came back a couple of days later so we could try other items on their menu, and we were all so happy with our food. Favorites included the baked potato soup (with cheese and chives - yum!), the upcountry mushroom soup, the super-yummy grilled cheese (also on their homemade focaccia) and the portobello mushroom sandwich.

Lest you get the wrong idea, this isn't just a vegetarian place - they do serve fish as well. I guess I would describe the cuisine as very satisfying comfort food made from wholesome ingredients. Furthermore, the place just has a wonderful vibe to it. The owners are just lovely people, they make you feel right at home from the minute you walk in, and they obviously take pride in their work and their establishment.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Kaua'i! You may find yourself going back on multiple occasions, like we did!

And by the way - the coffee is awesome :-)

Pros: healthy, tasty food, very friendly owners

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Tutu's Soup Hale: