Small vegan food cafe in the historical centre of Turku. Located in the inner yard so that it is a bit difficult to find. Live music and discussion events with topics ranging from literature, theatre, contemporary arts to politics and society. Has wireless internet access. Food is made on cafe premises. Soymilk available for coffee. Offers environmentally friendly beverages (beer, cider and lemonade). All food served is vegan. Student discount on coffee and tea. Second cup is free. Food often includes tofu pies, mushroom pies, different berry filled pies, sandwiches with seitan, cake, cookies, and muffins. Offer a vegan brunch Sundays 11am-2pm. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Finnish

First Review by birgit.m
Elceha
Elceha

Small vegan café with great atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

This café, which is also a book café, has a good selection of vegan café food like sandwiches and cakes. The weather was great on our visit so we sat outside and enjoyed the great location in an inner court in the old part of town.
The selection of savory, warm food is smaller and on our visit there was only one savory pie on offer.

We had two different sandwiches (they were fine), the savory chick pea pie (great!) and two different sweet pies (very tasty) and were very happy with our lunch there.

All in all, it's a great café and as long as you're not looking for a full restaurant I recommend it to all vegans.

Pros: Great value for money, Great atmosphere, Very friendly staff
Cons: Not many savory options
SCos
SCos

The best cafe in Finland

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

Their vegan bakery is so delicious (both sandwiches and cakse) and the atmosphere is bohemian/hippie. For book lovers and other culture people this is the must-go cafeteria.

Pros: Cupcakes! , Coffee and tea (the 2nd cup is for free), Location
Cons: Not open during the weekend
Sarah_Lily
Sarah_Lily

Lovely vegan co-operative with atmosphere

5 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2012

Turun Kirjakahvila is hidden away in an inner yard but it was well signed and I had no trouble finding it. Luckily for me! It reminded me of a vegan co-operative in Brighton, England, as it was full of students, feminist rally photos, political books, vegan cookbooks for sale and artsy people deep in conversation, sharing books or flicking through images on their cameras.

I visited here twice, on the first day it was about 3pm and they'd stopped serving hot food. Everything in the place is vegan except for they do serve cows milk as well as soya milk for drinks. They had some bitesize vegan cheese and bacon pastries which they warmed up for us and seitan and salad in delicious granary rolls. Their cake selection is also fantastic and we enjoyed a peach filled cake and the best ever - vegan jaffa cakes!!! They're AMAZING and just like the ones I remember :D

When we returned the next day, expecting some hot food on offer, the selection was very limited as they only had beetroot soup, which we got with another seitan sandwich and unlimited tea and coffee for 7.50 euros. Their tea was a little on the weak side which is my only complaint. The soup was hearty and delicious.

The staff are volunteer students and some seemed to be learning the ropes, but all were very friendly and welcoming. The clientele pretty much all seemed to be students and they seemed as if they spent all day sitting chatting here, but they didn't seem to mind us popping by!

Another great thing about this cafe for me is that it was selling Go Max Go chocolate bars which I have never found in the UK.

I would really recommend this cafe if you like to support local, co-operative vegan business and want to enjoy some snacky food and cake in quirky surroundings.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 31, 2012

Pros: quirky atmosphere, good value and best ever jaffa cakes!, volunteer run co-operative
Cons: limited hot food selection

jurogrgic
jurogrgic

Vegan Tourists in Turku

3 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

Cool place, cool people. The sandwiches were ok as well desserts. To mention the suprising carrots cake and disappointing chocolate (probably I was expecting too much).
Free still water and nice beverages.
I was a little bit confused when asking for a hot chocolate they offered cow milk.. Not really an option for a Vegan place.
In general we were really happy to find this place in Turku.

Pros: Vegan food, Low price, Ambient
Cons: Only few option, Cow milk
  • Qtea Qtea

They have stopped serving cow milk!

theveganbastard
theveganbastard

Lovely environment

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

I have the best experience in this cafe, I ate everything on the menu. the week that I went Turku, everyday the place have something a little bit different, and the best chocolate cake that you can get in Finland....

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

good for snacks and coffee

3 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

We ended up here after finding that both locations of KavsisKeidas were closed (one for the summer, the other for the week), so we were very grateful to find a place that served vegan food. As it's name implies, it's a book and coffee cafe, but it has a small serve yourself food area. We got the cashew foccacia (which they heated up for us), a hummus sandwich, a tempeh sandwich, a strawberry cake and a chai cupcake. As we were ravenous, it tasted good to us, so as long as you aren't looking for a whole restaurant, it's a good place to grab some snacks, drink coffee and check out some books. There were some tables outside for the summer as well, but we sat inside to get out of the sun as it was a rather hot day. Good central location too.

Pros: good location, vegan food at a book/cafe
Cons: a little hard to find
SimonaSignorelli
SimonaSignorelli

not a wide choice

2 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

I have found a very little choice of food: only sandwiches with seitan or houmus and pizza with mushrooms. being intolerant to wheat I have found anything to eat. maybe it can be a nice place for a quite coffe reading a book but not if you are travelling and you arrived starved looking for a vegan lunch !

Cons: little choice, anything gluten free
Guest
Guest

www.kirjakahvila.org

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2010

Excellent location near the campuses and libraries, delicious and inexpensive food, vegan.

Pros: Location, Delicious food, Vegan
Mari Kekkonen
Mari Kekkonen

My favourite cafe!

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

Bookcafe (Kirjakahvila) is the number one cafe in Turku for someone who likes culture, books, good conversations, delicious vegan bakery and good atmosphere. It is a non-profit co-operative place and the staff are volunteer workers.It is located in the most beautiful place in Turku, right in a medieval inner yard. By day time it's open for everyone and a variety of cultural events and theme days take place there. In the evenings after 7 o'clock different organisations and groups can organise their own events there. Handicraft, comics and books are sold in Kirjakahvila and the kitchen is truly one of a kind. A variety of freshly baked delicious pies, cakes, muffins etc. are sold there every day. The price is right and it's all suitable for vegans! The only down side of this place is that it's not open on weekends. It is my favorite place!

Pros: atmosphere, bakery, staff
Cons: not open on weekends, difficult to find
birgit.m
birgit.m

great!

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

lovely little cupcakes with mint flavour the day i was there! small salty pies and sandwiches was also on the menue, larger cakes as well. small cafe with places outside in nice old town environment. yes, it was a little hard to find even though it's really in the centre. nice books and fanzine collection, and friendly poeple working, that gave service in english.

Pros: delicious cakes, good atmosphere, woman friendly
Cons: could offer bigger sortiment, not organic, bit difficult to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Turun Kirjakahvila: