Tung Fong Sui Kee Yuen -...

Established 1918. Upstairs restaurant offers a large menu that is available in English - each dish around HK$50-70. Downstairs has take-away dim sum and bakery counter. Ask to leave out MSG if you are allergic. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Bakery, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible
Stevie
Stevie

Tung Fong Sui Kee Yuen - Hennessey, Hong Kong

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2014

I've just eaten here an hour ago. I wish I had read some of the earlier reviews before I went. I ordered 2 dishes thinking the bowl of noodle soup would be on the smaller side. No chance.

I flashed the waiter a printed piece of paper that explains in Chinese what I do and don't eat as a vegan. I emphasised the point about no eggs. The waiter was great. When I went to order a couple of noodle dishes he responded (translated by another helpful diner) that he would give me rice noodles.

The veg and noodle soup was OK but not anything to especially get excited. I then tried the vegetables in Portuguese sauce which I enjoyed much more. Throw in a bottle of water and it was 143 honky all in.

The choice on the menu like so many of the vego Chinese places in this town is huge.

The building on Wan Chai Road with the other branch has been flattened.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Big portions
vegan herbivore
vegan herbivore

True Chinese

3 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

We had lunch here at an off hour (around 3 o'clock), so the dining room was empty and forlorn. The wait staff was also on break (one fellow bedded down in the dining room), so service was poor. The dining room has a certain old world, Chinese charm, but more dowdy than lovely. The food was fine, and seemed authentic. Our impression might have been entirely different had we visited during a mealtime.

Pros: Old world dining room, Authentic Chinese cuisine, Large selection
Cons: Dowdy, Slow service, Not as clean as some establishments
sglcklch
sglcklch

Usual fare

3 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2011

Nothing really exciting about this place. Yes, portions are huge and they can serve you your food pretty fast. The two of us ordered three dishes and it must have taken only 5-10 minutes from ordering to having all of them on the table. Food was OK but bit on the salty side. Could also use less oil. That said I felt the prices were very reasonable especially if you come as a bigger group.

Pros: huge portions, prompt service
Cons: greasy, salty

Deborah3000
Deborah3000

very ordinary

2 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

The food was very average although the portions were quite large. I would not recommend it.

Pros: large portions
bigcheezjd
bigcheezjd
  • non-vegetarian

Missing something

2 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

I must be missing something here or I just got a bad night. The food was tasteless and the ingredients were not fresh. Service was fine and the waiter made an effort to select something to my taste. Unfortunately, it had none. I didn't try the take out counter snacks, but they looked good.

Cons: Unexciting food
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

Only go to the 241 Hennessy Rd address

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2009

Love this place. It's very clean, fresh and tasty ingredients and good service. The menu is extensive and the prices very reasonable. You really can't go wrong with this place. The Restaurant is up one flight, and you can also get very cheap take away downstairs. they have an English menu.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Fresh
Cons: Staff don't speak English
philjdomm
philjdomm

take out

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2007

never had chance to sit in and try food but got some take out. vegan or vegetarian bakery...yes!

Pros: easy
comida
comida

Authentic food and excellent bakery downstairs

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2007

Amazing congee. Took my parents here, and they loved it. Very good e-fu noodles. The staff were nice and friendly. JohnnySensible is right, the portions are huge. The bakery downstairs has one of the few truly vegan and E number free moon cakes in town. Really easy to find.

Pros: Yummy food., Friendly service, Clean place
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Venerable

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2007

Well worth a visit. For myself it is wonderful to experience a veggie business that has survived & thrived for 4 generations. I always receive smiles / very friendly service. For the single diner be careful when you order - portions tend to be large. The best selection of vegan dim-sum in Hong Kong. Nearest MTR is Wan Chai. Remember to ask the staff not to use MSG if you are affected by it.

Dear Owner and Manager of Tung Fong Sui Kee Yuen - Hennessey: