Tung Fong Siu Kee Yuen

Originally established 1905, and at this space since 1956. Seats 60 upstairs, take away dim sum and bakery downstairs. Has English menu. Could ask leave out MSG. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Bakery, Take-out

Stevie
Stevie

Tung Fong Sui Kee Yuen - Hennessey, Hong Kong

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2015

Just a minor update to this. I ate here again last night as part of the meetup group mentioned below. At the end of the evening one of the girls in the group bought a take away that she could take to work for lunch today. Clearly she also endorsed the vegetables in Portuguese sauce since that's the dish she ordered.

As per another comment made last night, the decor in this place upstairs is nice. Quietly tasteful in an understated sort of way.

They did a good job catering for the group. 16 of us over 2 tables, food was great and service efficient. All that food to share at 120 hkd each person was good value, I'm happy with that.

Updated from previous review on Monday June 08, 2015

I've eaten here a few times now. I've eaten here on my own, with one other and also as part of the Meat Free Hong Kong group in meetup.com. Every time it has been perfectly pleasant. If you're eating in try the vegetables in Portuguese sauce.

The take away downstairs is as good as any I've tried around Hong Kong.

I'd be happy to eat here again (sit in or take away) any time I'm nearby.

Updated from previous review on Friday August 15, 2014

Pros: Vegan friendly, Big portions, Good take away counter
vegan herbivore
vegan herbivore

True Chinese

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

We had lunch here at an off hour (around 3 o'clock), so the dining room was empty and forlorn. The wait staff was also on break (one fellow bedded down in the dining room), so service was poor. The dining room has a certain old world, Chinese charm, but more dowdy than lovely. The food was fine, and seemed authentic. Our impression might have been entirely different had we visited during a mealtime.

Pros: Old world dining room, Authentic Chinese cuisine, Large selection
Cons: Dowdy, Slow service, Not as clean as some establishments
sglcklch
sglcklch

Usual fare

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2011

Nothing really exciting about this place. Yes, portions are huge and they can serve you your food pretty fast. The two of us ordered three dishes and it must have taken only 5-10 minutes from ordering to having all of them on the table. Food was OK but bit on the salty side. Could also use less oil. That said I felt the prices were very reasonable especially if you come as a bigger group.

Pros: huge portions, prompt service
Cons: greasy, salty

Deborah3000
Deborah3000

ordinary

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

The food was very average although the portions were quite large.

Pros: large portions
bigcheezjd
bigcheezjd
  • non-vegetarian

Missing something

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

I must be missing something here or I just got a bad night. The food was tasteless and the ingredients were not fresh. Service was fine and the waiter made an effort to select something to my taste. Unfortunately, it had none. I didn't try the take out counter snacks, but they looked good.

Cons: Unexciting food
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

Only go to the 241 Hennessy Rd address

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2009

Love this place. It's very clean, fresh and tasty ingredients and good service. The menu is extensive and the prices very reasonable. You really can't go wrong with this place. The Restaurant is up one flight, and you can also get very cheap take away downstairs. they have an English menu.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Fresh
Cons: Staff don't speak English
philjdomm
philjdomm

take out

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2007

never had chance to sit in and try food but got some take out. vegan or vegetarian bakery...yes!

Pros: easy
comida
comida

Authentic food and excellent bakery downstairs

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2007

Amazing congee. Took my parents here, and they loved it. Very good e-fu noodles. The staff were nice and friendly. JohnnySensible is right, the portions are huge. The bakery downstairs has one of the few truly vegan and E number free moon cakes in town. Really easy to find.

Pros: Yummy food., Friendly service, Clean place
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Venerable

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2007

Well worth a visit. For myself it is wonderful to experience a veggie business that has survived & thrived for 4 generations. I always receive smiles / very friendly service. For the single diner be careful when you order - portions tend to be large. The best selection of vegan dim-sum in Hong Kong. Nearest MTR is Wan Chai. Remember to ask the staff not to use MSG if you are affected by it.

Dear Owner and Manager of Tung Fong Siu Kee Yuen: