Truly Free Bakery and Deli

Serves meat, veg options available. Deli and bakery that caters to vegans, gluten, and allergy sensitive diets. Menu items can be made vegan by substituting tofu. Has a small kitchen and makes vegan pizzas on some days with vegan cheese. Also features various themes for each day to bring in a wider variety of vegan specialty items, such as vegan taco Tuesdays. Vegan waffles on the weekends. Uses separate cookware and utensils to regulate cross contamination. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Bakery, Pizza, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by Ginger.7
Simbi Petwo
Simbi Petwo

expensive and bad attitude

1 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2014

Although the food is good, the price and the attitude of the owners preclude eating at their establishment. Portions are very small and costly, seating is cheap and crowded, and the owners usually are bad tempered and treat people with disdain. I will not be back until the management is changed.

Pros: Tasty , easy location
Cons: expensive, bad attitude, very small portions
SouthernVegan
SouthernVegan

Good Food

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2013

They have a lot of vegan options. I eat here a couple of times a month. They have really good veggie burgers, amazing salads, good options on sandwiches, fajitas, ect.. They also have their own juice. Their baked goods are really good as well.

Pros: Convenient location, A lot of vegan options, Good juice
Cons: Slightly expensive, Not fast
veganamanda
veganamanda

Just OK

2 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

I was really excited to try Truly Free when visiting Baton Rouge, as it had a lot of vegan items on the menu. I got the vegan wrap, which was just OK. The tofu wasn't cooked or marinated, it was just plain tofu, gross. The sweet potato fries were also not what I was expecting, they weren't fried, like you would expect a fry to be. I got a muffin from the bakery which also wasn't that great...

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Made the cupcakes I snuck into my bro's wedding :)

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

We stopped in here on the way to a wedding we were pretty sure we couldn't eat at and grabbed a nice selection of treats and goodies! They were very receptive to new ideas and were doing promotional days, like taco tuesdays, etc.

Pros: cupcakes
cakenstein
cakenstein

Anything vegan beats nothing vegan

2 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2012

I'm glad Truly Free Bakery and Deli exists - it's the only place in Baton Rouge that labels "vegan" food. There hot meals - paninis, fajitas, pizza, etc. - are pretty good. They rely very heavily on prepackaged processed vegan substitutes - daiya cheese, tofutti sour cream, etc. - in their meals, and that's a bit of a turn-off. I've never enjoyed any of their carb-free wraps; they're usually drowning in water/dressing and the tofu/tempeh is often unmarinated and uncooked. They've got the right idea with a lot of their meals, but the execution is poor.

Pros: Vegan Options
Cons: TOO expensive, Hit-Or-Miss, Rely heavily on processed vegan subs
rvasquez
rvasquez

Awesome!!!

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2010

Truly Free is so good I ate here twice while traveling to and from New Orleans! I had the vegan panini on one trip and the vegan pizza on the other. Both were wonderful! The staff is very knowledgable and very friendly. The only thing I didn't like about this place was their sweet tea and their lemonade, but I think it was just whatever they had sweetened it with. Really really good, definitely worth stopping here!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Great food, Knowledgable staff
JennyFuzzyHead
JennyFuzzyHead

Knowledgeable Staff and Delicious Food

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2010

It's nice to go to a place where the staff knows about vegan food. Usually, it's a pain to have to explain how I eat, or to be forced to get creative with menu items. At Truly Free, you walk in and have plenty of things to choose from. Specializing in weird diets to being with, it's very easy to find something to eat if you're vegan, vegetarian, or have food allergies. The only bummer part is that they do serve MEAT items. But Tofu and tempeh are offered as a replacement. Where else can you find that here in BR!? I seem to always get the Vegan Wrap, wrapped in Rice paper. A great place for kids, also! A large Kids menu. And grab a vegan cupcake on your way out! (all of their bakery items are already vegan.)
Updated from previous review on Friday September 17, 2010

Pros: Friendly Staff, Lots to Choose from, Large Portions
Cons: Long wait for some items (Pizza-20 mins), Serve MEAT
Ginger.7
Ginger.7

A real gem in Baton Rouge!

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2009

Southern Louisiana is all about fried animal products with a cream sauce, there are so few vegan options down here. I visited Truly Free today and LOVE IT! Completely dairy, egg, and gluten free, and many vegan options denoted on the menu. Don't let the web site fool you - while they do have a large array of baked goods, they also have a great deli menu, and offer very filling veg-friendly meals. My son (2) and I had a wonderful lunch there today - he had a veggie panini with sweet potato fries, and I had a tofu bowl with veggies, quinoa, and a delicious sauce. We tried the cupcakes for dessert, and they were wonderful. They also have sugar-free sweet tea and lemonade, "naturally sweetened." I assume it was sweetened with stevia, but forgot to ask. I am sure I'll be visiting again, so I'll update.
Parents with toddlers - bring an empty sippy or straw cup, as they only had glasses to serve the beverages. They ask no outside food or beverages to keep it allergen-free, so I didn't want to bring in my son's cup inside (even though it just had some hemp milk) to respect their request.
Very friendly staff, delicious food, a wide array of vegetarian and vegan options - truly a great find. They do have some meat options, so I think this will become a favorite place for my omni hubby, my vegan self, and my dairy-free son to dine out. I cannot be more pleased that they have opened up in Baton Rouge, most definitely worth a try!

Pros: Many vegan baked goods, Large vegan lunch/deli menu , Delicious food
Cons: No child friendly cups

Dear Owner and Manager of Truly Free Bakery and Deli: