Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is centered on the principals of Dr. Andrew Weil's Anti-Inflammatory Diet & Food Pyramid, with several ovo/lacto vegetarian dishes and a few vegan ones, marked. Modern decor. The organic tomato & roasted vegetable pizza is made without cow cheese. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
15191 N Scottsdale Rd, Unit 100 Bldg G (Greenway)
Scottsdale, Arizona 85254
480-265-4500

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by rosenthalv
Tigra220
Tigra220

Yummy Vegan Options

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2015

After shopping in the Quarter, I wanted something light to eat so I decided to finally give TFK a try.

It was barely noon on a Saturday, but the inside was already packed and people were waiting to be seated. The hostess said I could wait for inside seating or I could be seated immediately on their heated patio. But it was cold outside. Heater or not, I moved away from a cold region so I would've have to endure the cold. * enter tummy-bursting wolf growl*... Ok, I'll take the patio.

It was a nice, large wrap around patio; partially enclosed with covering, but the outside air creeped in through the openings. However, the overhead heaters were quite powerful and efficient, even for me.

Their menu items are labeled as vegan or vegetarian, and the symbols are different for each (thank you!).

ANDY'S TLT (vegan):
Think BLT with tempeh taking bacon's place, and of course I omitted the tomatoes.
$10, but it ended up being worth it. A nice sized sandwich, cut in half, served with plenty of what looked like butter lettuce, Vegenaise, tempeh bacon, and avocado, on toasted bread. And let me tell you, they were not skimpy on the tempeh or the avocado. I was very pleased with the portions. It was delicious. Everything was very fresh (no brown or day old avocado here!) and the tempeh was perfectly cooked and seasoned. I've tried and tried, and cannot get my home-cooked tempeh to turn out like that. Also, it came with a yummy kale salad.

I only ate half of my meal. Partially because I was almost full, but honestly? I wanted dessert! I inquired about their vegan dessert options. I had read reviews which mentioned a seasonal vegan cobbler and I was really hoping to try that. The waiter asked the chef and unfortunately, no vegan cobbler for me that day. They offered a Chia Pudding or some other banana flavored dessert. Not a big fan of the nana, so I inquired about their vegan ice cream. The waiter offered sorbet. I wasn't impressed... Until he said "maple." Maple sorbet? Let's give it a go.

MAPLE SORBET (vegan):
$2.50 per scoop. It was amazing! Creamy, delicious, maple-infused sorbet, which tasted like ice cream more than a sorbet. The only thing that would've made it better if it had been served on top of a vegan cobbler.

Good food and service. Nice restaurant and atmosphere. I'd like to return to try more vegan food items, and... vegan cobbler?

Pros: fresh, tasty vegan options, friendly, helpful, attentive staff
Cons: needs more vegan options, all around
Smooches4Pooches
Smooches4Pooches

Seriously Awful

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

My niece insisted that we take our family, visiting us in Scottsdale for several days, to True Foods to celebrate her mother’s birthday. She had "heard so much about it." There were 13 of us. I tried to make a reservation for lunch but True Foods was not very accommodating. (the conversation went something like this: "We usually don’t take lunch reservations." “Even for 13 people?” I asked. "You'll have to sit at our community table. It seats 10." and "No, we can't seat you outside.")

Fifty percent of my family is vegetarian and we're real foodies. We travel a lot so we've had vegetarian and vegan food throughout the US, India, Canada and Europe. We base reviews on food, service and ambiance. We don't care how trendy a “concept restaurant” is or whether they follow Buddha's or Aunt Minnie's dietary guidelines.

Quit bluntly the food at True Foods in North Scottsdale was awful. The quinoa burger was hard, flavorless and dry. So was the bun. The onion tart was merely warm flat bread with very little on it. We also tried Panang curry, several pizzas, salads and the starters. The food was so bad that we wondered if it was leftover from the day before. The drinks were not impressive either and took forever to be prepared. The menu descriptions were much better than the drinks tasted.

Vegan and vegetarian food does not have to be dull but it should be well prepared and fresh, especially when a restaurant boasts of locally sourced or organically, biodynamically or sustainably farmed.

As for the ambience: The tables were awkward. The chairs were uncomfortable and the space was flooded with such harsh noise we couldn't hear the person next to us. The drink blenders were obnoxious.

The waiters started with a pretentious, canned spiel about Andrew Weil. Throughout the service, we had trouble getting their attention. Their attitude was somewhat like we were lucky to be eating at True Foods.

It's actually a silly concept restaurant with bad food. It certainly wasn't worth the tremendous parking hassle at the North Scottsdale mall location. For a better meal, go to the Persian Room nearby. There are plenty of flavorful, vegetarian options. The restaurant itself looks like a sultan's boudoir. The service was very accommodating. A table for 13 was no problem. You just won't be able to have a Kale-Apple-Cucumber-Celery-Lemon-Ginger drink but so what.

We might give the Camelback True Foods location a try but we're not hopeful.

Pros: Neo-trendy
Cons: A silly concept restaurant, Dried out, stale, flavorless food, Unpleasant ambience
rosenthalv
rosenthalv

Fabulous

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2012

This is one of the best veg-friendly restaurants I've eaten at. There are a significant range of options, noodle-based, rice-based, pizzas, seafood dishes -- and all with very delicately-seasoned vegetables cooked al dente. Dr. Andrew Weil's creation, the restaurant deserves star-status. Good value, too.

Dear Owner and Manager of True Foods Kitchen: