Quick service Mexican style food with vegan and dairy-free variations of cheese available. Menu includes breakfast burritos described as "corn tortilla madness," Nutella and banana in a soft flour tortilla, Inca cola, and beverages imported from Central and South America, Mexican beer and Mexican-style mixed drinks. Trance beats trip out onto the street from the interior which is painted bright orange. Previously located on Smith Street Collingwood. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mexican, Take-out
234 Gertrude St
Fitzroy, Victoria 3065
03-94157711

Open Mon-Tue 11am-9pm, Wed-Fri 11-10pm, Sat 10am-10pm, Sun 10am-9pm.

First Review by ampallang

Deliciously vegan

5 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2014

I used to always ride by but never had the chance to drop in. Now that I've been there I regret not taking some time to come around every now and then.

Their tacos and burritos are delicious and the vegan cheese and vegan sour creme are more than great. You should also get some of their chips but only if you can risk not getting enough of them!

Pros: Delicous food, Everything can be done vegan
Cons: Surcharge for vegan cheese

¡Es fantástico!

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

Some friends took me to this place for the first time; I was not disappointed. A delicious gigantic burrito and fries for lunch left me satisfied until beyond dinner.

Pros: Huge burritos, Plenty of vegan options

Perhaps not

2 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

Had high hopes for this, especially given how many people were queuing but ..... disappointing

the tofu asada tacos were good, full of flavour and contrasting textures, but the taco could have been a bit bigger

the quesadilia with black beans, on the other hand, was too big, and suffered from that plus having a very watery tomato salsa. needed heaps of chilli sauce to make it taste ok, which is never a good sign

Average

3 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

My friend and I had the original burrito- mine's vegan, his not. He loved it, thought it was the best burrito he had ever had. I was much more 'meh' about it. The vegan cheese is entirely tasteless and the flavour was dominated by sultanas and beetroot. To me it was like a salad wrap with black beans and nothing I'd really recognise as a burrito, it was petty garlic-y but not really any other obvious flavouring. Maybe some people appreciate the bit of creativity but I just want a good burrito.

Given they were burritos I found the service a bit slow but not slow compared to what you'd wait in any restaurant. We were there around 3 and it wasn't empty but it was easy to get a seat. The general feel of the place was nothing special but nothing annoying either.

So disappointed

3 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2013

I was so looking forward to this place as Mexican food is my favorite. The first time we tried it was so packed that we had to go somewhere else. The next day we decided to go at an odd time to avoid the crowd and get a seat. We were there at 5:15 and there were still no tables. Someone got up and we were very close to the kitchen. It was really loud.
We got our margaritas first, which were great. VERY strong, which I was happy with. Then the food. They got one of the orders wrong (black bean tacos instead of tofu) but we didn't complain as we didn't want to wait longer. It was all kind of bland. I could have popped open a can of beans and tossed some toppings on at home in about 5 minutes and get a similar result. The taco meal wasn't very filling and we were left wanting more.
All and all, it was just ok.

Pros: only veg mexican place
Cons: cost for size, super busy

The line speaks for itself

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

All I can say is best vegan burrito I ever had. Huge and seriously tasty. Place gets really busy but its worth it.

Pros: good portion size, really tasty, vegan cheese
Cons: busy

rectified!

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

Old review below. thought I'd give them another try for my birthday. The food was great, had tacos this time. We all loved our food! When they found out it was my birthday, they brought me the only vegan dessert- FREE!!! I told them how they sucked the previous time and I'm now a believer in their food. They were so sweet. Been again and still impressed. Maybe the nachos always suck? Never going to try them again though. Give them a try, trippy tacos is great!
They did lower the music when asked, portions are small but good.

My daughter and I shared the nachos. It was $17 for the vegan version. Everyone was really nice and helpful but.... food came and it was a plate of nasty, cheap looking greasy chips with some oily cheese slopped on half the chips. There was a scattering of dried out black beans (maybe 2 tablespoons at most) and a smear of guacamole which was less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon. I asked for the red sauces on the side. When the waiter came around I pointed out the lack of guac and he promptly brought a decent amount. The guac tasted good. I will never order that again, what a rip off! The meals others got looked good so I will give them another try but NEVER get the nachos again!!!
It was WAY too loud and I couldn't even hear myself think the music was blasting so loud on a Saturday afternoon.
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 25, 2012

Pros: friendly staff, many vegan options
Cons: scrimpy meal, music too loud still

Decent veg*n Mexican/Tex Mex

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

I eat at this place regularly because it;s right near where I work and I find the food very good. The nachos are a bit different from most places I've been because I think they make their own corn chips, so they're not perfect even circles, but I think they make one of the two best vegan nachos in Melbourne, partly because they're willing to invest in vegan cheese rather than just omitting it. I like that they have the option of a tofu burrito or taco, because sometimes beans can be too heavy, or you get sick of them. Most stuff here can be veganised, although I have yet to try a vegan dessert here. On a few occasions here (and I do go quite frequently) I have ordered vegan and received dairy cheese and sour cream, so I always make sure I'm very clear about it. Because of its location this place is often very crowded around meal times, so I would recommend calling or going early or at non-peak times. You can call ahead to make your order, even for dine-in, which is handy if your lunch break is limited.

Pros: Reliably good standard of food, Most menu items can be made vegan
Cons: Often very crowded with limited space

Eat the Fries leave the rest

2 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

Had fries with paprika once as a quick snack they filled a gap. Then decided to pay a return visit to sample some tasty mexican food, what we got was slop in a burrito that made us a bit sensitive. the serves were ridiculously big, heavy with water from the sweaty salad, the flavour wasn't that great. we will not be back i am afraid. staff were unfriendly and not that clean looking.

Pros: thin cut fries
Cons: sloppy, questionable FHS

Amazing!

4 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2012

This place is so delicious.
I think that the fries were probably the best I have ever had in my life! They have some sort of chilli salt on them - yum. Then there was the actual main course - I had a tofu burrito which was just fantastic. I cannot say enough about how delicious their food is. Although, I was a little disappointed with the nachos - they looked amazing but didn't quite hit the spot.
It is pretty cheap and does some good drinks. It can be a bit hard to get a table because it's a small place. It's not fine dining - halfway between take away and a cafe. The toilets are outside and there is only one and I had to wait ages. But it is all worth it for the food!

Pros: incredible food, good value
Cons: only 1 toilet, small and crowded

Mexican taco's

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

Wonderfull taco restaurant, great to have breakfast or lunch. They also have soy cheese, so there are vegan options available. Also a place that gets really busy, but if you eat there you'll know why.

Pros: Great food, Lots of vegan options
Cons: Busy, Small

Trippy taco

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

I went to Trippy Taco in June 2012 and I think they have changed their menu recently as this menu doesn't state that the cheese has animal rennet. We asked staff and they said the cheese was vegetarian but the sour cream (!) had animal rennet - what the? However soy cheese is also available for vegans.
We went on a weeknight about 7:30 and it was a bit of a wait for a table for 3 (apparently they don't take bookings and the place is quite small). I'd suggest going at 7 or 8pm- I think we went at the peak time. But its a fun place with a cool vibe and its great to go to a full vegetarian Mexican restaurant. The portions are big! The nachos were my favourite- really tasty. I had the taco with smoked tofu but I'm not as big a fan of the soft taco (to be fair I think this is just my personal preference and not their soft taco). I had ordered two tacos which was way too much for me! Dessert looked great (nutella tortillas) but I was too full to try.
I think this place is a bit under-ranked by previous reviewers, probably due to them (previously from my understanding) having cheese with animal rennet, which is understandable. But apparently this has changed so I think its worth another shot! I'd say its above average.

Pros: Yummy mexican food, Cool vibe
Cons: Have to wait- no reservations, Not suitable for large groups- max 7 ppl

trippy tea

3 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

Generally alright, as they are listed as vegetarian and vegan it rather bothers me that they have animal rennett in their cheese. I am grateful that it is listed though.

Good portions and cheap, seems healthy, cute atmosphere.

Seems about a 50% chance with staff - some are friendly, some aren't so much...

Pros: tasty vegan options
Cons: rennett

Animal rennet in cheese

2 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2011

Have only been here once. The food was great but I was put off returning for several reasons - staff were unfriendly, coffee machine was broken but most of all, their menu states that the cheese they use contains animal rennet! When are so many available that don't WHY would they choose to stock it? If this was only a 'veg-friendly' place I could possibly understand their ignorance...

Pros: Vegan food is awesome
Cons: staff :(, animal rennet cheese

Tasty and oh so good

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2010

As a vegan, i LOVE being able to go out for mexican AND it is tasty with cheese! Such a friendly little hub. Be warned though, you will have some serious cravings once you've tasted...

Pros: Vegan cheese, Friendly, yummy

Love this place

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2010

Such great Mexican food - they have vegan cheese and the green hot sauce is soo tasty. Vegan Burritos are the best!

Pros: excellent food
Cons: not many seats

vegan mexican..

3 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2008

All meals can be made vegan. Choices of buritos, nacoes and tacos. Hot sauce on the tables and material to read. Vegan cheese available for all dishes. Tasty, well priced. International and local Beer and wine also for purchase. Tables inside, maybe enough room for 20 people. Open everyday from aroudn 11am until evening.

Pros: Vegan cheese, good hours, friendly atmosphere
Cons: Avocado dip not vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Trippy Taco: