Trigo Verde Naturistas Cafe

Vegetarian cafe inside a health food store. Offers fast food for takeaway like tamales, soyburgers (2 big ones, fries, and drink for around 36 pesos), chilaquiles, sandwiches, breakfast, and a 35 peso lunch menu which includes soup, salad, main dish, drink, and dessert. Simple set up. You might bring your food "para llavar" (to-go) and eat at the Zocalo, Los Arcos de Xochimilco, or the botanical garden. more-less
Lacto, Mexican, Take-out
J.P. Garcia 207, Centro (Trujano)
Oaxaca, Mexico

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by enRoute

Best VEGAN!! food in Oaxaca

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

Trigo Verde is a Vegetarian restaurant with easily the best Vegan in Oaxaca, so hit it up. If you fancy a western meal try the hamburguesa classica (vegan), hamburguesa con queso (vegeterian) with the option of a lentil, soy, multigrain with quinoa patty. For Mexican options try the taco de jamaica stuffed with hibiscous served with guacamole sauce (vegan), tacos al pastor de soya (vegan), tostadas de chorizo de soya (vegan), tostadas de quesillo (vegetarian). Salads are personalised with the choice of vegetables, dried fruits, seeds/nuts and dressing (soy tuna vegetarian).
Daily menu is served with soup, main meal (rice/curry, pasta, vegetables, fahitas, stuffed zucchini) desert served with water of the day (chia, variety of fruit, lime, green tea, avena-oat) menu varies day to day, dishes can be ordered individually.
Therapeutic smoothies: Energetico (energy), Cruda (hang-over), Digestivo (digestive) with the choice of adding superfoods (maca, lucuma, echinecea, chia, acai, cacao nibs) option of soy milk. Fresh juices Zanahoria (carrot), Papaya, Mango, Naranja (orange), Spinach celery naranja and nopal (cactus).
Trigo Verde is also a health food store containing vitamins, minerals, herbal remedies, protein powders/bars, herbal teas, vegan milks, cereals, freeze dried fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, rice, flours (g/f amaranth), granola, natural cosmetics: oils, make-up, hair-dye,
It's cheap, good tasting, vegan and located two blocks west of the Zocalo.

Pros: Vegan food and superfood smoothies , Herbal remedies, Location
Cons: Busy

Quick, Convenient, Tasty and Healthy Vege Food

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2014

I never imagined I'd find a place in Oaxaca that serves up great vege food; getting out more has helped to disabuse me of my ignorance. The first time I went to Trigo Verde, I had a Mega Tostada. Man, thing was huge!...enough to hold me over until dinner. Great-tasting combination of beans with tomato and quesillo (like string-chees)on a massively-sized tortilla (I think they call it a "Tlayuda"). You have the option of different kinds of cheeses on this, but I always choose the quesillo because I'm not a fan of the other two.

Burgers are of course not what you'd taste in some of the better restaurants you'll find in Los Angeles, but that aside, they hold their own very well! I actually enjoy my vegetarian burgers here every time.

The other option I normally go for changes daily; they call it their "menu" option, which typically includes two rolls of bread, some sort of soup, a main vegetarian dish, a flavored water and a dessert...all for a ridiculously inexpensive $45 MXN It's almost always something I thoroughly enjoy. Is it because I conveniently walk right in front of this place on my way home every weekday afternoon after a hard day's work?....Or because their food is that great?...Probably a little bit of both.

Pros: Tasty food at a ridiculously great price, Friendly staff, Conveniently located in the city center
Cons: Loud street traffic (as anywhere in Oax)

It's ok...

3 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

I went here for lunch but was disappointed there were on 2 vegan items on the menu. The rest was made with eggs or dairy and therefore could not be left out. Additionally, they did not seem to be offering most of the juices advertised.

If you're vegetarian I'd recommend it though. Lots of choices and it's pretty cheap.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Limited vegan options

Great fast food in a beautiful city

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

We were visiting Oaxaca and needed something quick to eat. I downloaded the Happy Cow app and saw that this place was just around the corner.

Me and my wife both loved it! Be aware, this is no fine dining experience, you have to try and find a table (it's very busy) and then make your order at the shop till, passing along your receipt to the kitchen staff.

The veggie burgers were cheap and tasty, though the fries that came with the meals were actually potato chips/crisps, but they were OK. I just had the burger whereas my wife had the set meal which was good, but neither of us could eat the dessert - we're not even sure what it was.

Pros: Good Prices, Great veggieburgers
Cons: Dessert inedible

Bustling, convenient, often very tasty

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

This place is a real institution, and is often busy for lunch. It's just 2 blocks from the zocalo and as such is really the only 100% vegetarian option in the area, if not the city. Creative fixed menu with nice set lunches (40 pesos) varying from day to day. Nice veggie tamales, ceviche, etc., and a cooler selling lots of fake meats and other products.

You pay first at the counter and get a number which you place on your table, and the food is brought to you based on that. Quality of the daily menu can vary pretty dramatically, from delicious and creative to so-so or a half-plate of soggy nopales.

Definitely worth checking out, and trying a few options to find something you like. Try their tlayudas, tacos al pastor, and baguettes (w/soy chorizo or other veg meats).

Pros: Convenient, Cheap, Tasty
Cons: A bit packed, Quality varies, Staff generally not thrilled to be there