Trader Joe's

Part of a mid-size specialty food market chain. Has vegetarian and vegan food, some organic, natural personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, and more. more-less

First Review by sunniegreen
bdijulio
bdijulio

The Other

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

Having been a "TJ" Maxx devotee for many years, there is now a second "TJs" to love in VA Beach: Trader Joe's. I buy virtually all of our produce at Stoney's Market (a local farm market) except when they close for a month in the dark of winter. And Trader Joe's is quite a distance from us, so I choose not to burn the gas required to get there for grocery items on a daily or even weekly basis (though I drive a Prius). BUT, Trader's is near Stoney's, so I try to swing by both in one trip for the following must-haves:
* Trader Joe's brand of olive oil--you cannot beat the price of this flavorful oil and it comes with a spout for pouring just the right amount every time
* Trader Joe's brand of pepitas--I buy these 2 lb. bags to make my vegan "Smoked Paprika and Garlic Pumpkin Seeds" for snacking and to package as gifts (check out the recipe on my blog)
*Tempeh--Traders only offers one variety, but it good and very affordable
*Vegan Chorizo--this is a super-spicy rendition, but with the right combination of ingredients to temper the heat a bit, it's delish
* Wine--we're not so much "Two Buck Chuck" drinkers; rather we've tried a wide variety of wines we drink regularly, including Prosecco (which complements virtually all vegan food) and Vouvray, another favorite white
* And, lastly, for the winter holidays--vegan Candy Cane Joe-Joes (think Oreo's with a peppermint center)

Pros: Good Value, Friendly Staff, Vibrant Wine Section
Cons: Requires a Drive from Some Parts of Town, Limited Selection
sunniegreen
sunniegreen

Valhalla of Deliciousness

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2011

I grew up actually going to the main Trader Joe's in Monrovia California and when I moved to North Carolina I went crazy without it. Some will complain that the prices are high, but they are lower than a specialty organic store. Very reasonable, and even cheaper than Big-Mart stores on many items that in the BigMart would be considered "specialty". Wide selection and lots of little special suprises you wouldn't find normally.
Between the reasonable prices and the clear labeling of product (nothing has HFCS, and most things are labeled Vegan, gluten free, wheat free, etc) it is a fun and easy place to shop and explore.

Pros: Happy staff, huge variety, reasonable prices
Cons: Not a one-stop shop, get addicted to expensive snacks

Dear Owner and Manager of Trader Joe's: