Trader Joe's - Midtown

Part of a mid-size specialty food market chain. Has vegetarian and vegan food, some organic, natural personal hygiene products, household cleaners, vitamins, pet food, and more. more-less

First Review by desi30354
desi30354
desi30354

Don't Trust Their Labels

2 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2012

I was near the park and stopped by to get some items to make a vegan pizza. I was looking for soy cheese or Daiy cheese but found some cheese by Trader Joe's which claimed to be dairy free and made of soy. It was a good price so I decided to give it a try. I was stupid to not read the ingredients but I made the foolish mistake of trusting Trader Joe's to be plain in language about their products. That was a fool's decision because I got home and saw that it had milk proteins in it. So really it was for lactuse intolerant people not vegans. The problem came from the packaging that implied a vegan product. I called them and the customer sevuce person told me it was a common problem with this product so I could bring it back even though opened. At that point, I wondered if it were so common at this store then was it common at others. I got online to see entire complaint threads by vegan consumers who had purchased this product thinking it was vegan, some people having eaten it for a while before discovering the truth not implied by its labeling. Trader Joe's needs to label items in a way that they don't confuse people but it seems like that's exactly what they're going on purpose here. Also, this Trader Joe's like most have little real vegan options.

Pros: clean store, very friendly staff, easy product discovery
Cons: misleading labeling, not very vegan friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Trader Joe's - Midtown: