An organic vegan cafe featuring a menu of mostly Japanese and fusion cuisine plus organic wines and liquor. Uses organic vegetables, grains, and fruits. Rice and salad are ordered separately from mains. Casual atmosphere, near Kyoto University. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Japanese, Fusion, Beer/Wine
Imadegawa Dori, Sakyo Ward, Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, 67-7
Kyoto, Japan
+81-0757217779

Open Tue-Sat 11.30-15.00, Thur-Sat 17.30-22.00..

First Review by davidredstone
Nicolejreda
Nicolejreda

Delicious food

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

Stopped at Tosca yesterday after walking around all morning. The curry and veggie burger were both extremely delicious! Plan on going back today before leaving kyoto tomorrow.

Pros: Easy to find// English menu and sign , Delicious, Friendly staff
mr.zaatar
mr.zaatar

Charming little vegan cafe

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

I visited a bunch of vegan restaurants in Kyoto on my last visit but this one felt like a place I would hang out at all the time if I lived in Kyoto. It has a nice cozy mom-and-pop feel to it.

The menu is limited (not a bad thing). I went for lunch and of the 5 options, I chose the kuruma fu sandwich, a wheat gluten ring that is breaded in panko and served crispy with lettuce, tomato, and a special sauce. Rather than being aggressive, it was seasoned with a delicate touch. The kuruma fu burger came with a beautiful little side salad of greens, raw beets, and radishes dressed with a tangy dressing and a few pieces of a egg-like tofu and vegetable omelette.
Everything was really delicious and well-seasoned.
I finished my lunch off with the goma (black sesame seed paste) latte. Oh wow was that amazing! I highly recommend it. Also, the presentation and the foamed soy milk latte art is outstanding!

As is mentioned in the other reviews, the owners speak fluent English and the menu is in both English and Japanese. I chatted a little with one of the young owners and she was super friendly. As I was getting ready to pay, I saw her taking out some muffins from the oven and I just had to have some. I bought one matcha and one fig muffin and took them with me for later that night. They were superb!

If you are heading to the Silver Pavilion (Ginkauji)--and you should since it's amazing--stop by Tosca. It's only a little walk down the same road as the temple.

Visited Jan 2014

Pros: Delicious food, Cozy atmosphere
itzjac
itzjac

Great food, amazing coffee and wonderful service!!

4 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

This was one of our most frequented restaurants on our month trip in Japan!

The restaurant is run by a family and we met two sisters and a brother - another of their sisters used to run the restaurant also, but has moved to Australia.

One of the other sisters used to live in Australia so she speaks perfect english! They are all just beautiful and so friendly! Made dining there a wonderful experience!

Their coffee's are AMAZING and they make them with Bonsoy milk (my VERY favourite kind of soy! extra frothy so great for latte's) - the coffee are is impeccable - we ate there 6 times and had a different design on every coffee everytime - from a snow man to a cluster of hearts, made me happy everytime a beautiful cup of deliciousness was placed in front of me! :)

The food is great and there is an English menu as well as Japanese with specials changing weekly. Every meal we ate was amazing - however we are pretty big eaters so we would often order two lunch specials each or three between us - but if you don't eat a lot one set will be enough. The food was so delicious we always wanted to try everything too, hence the over-ordering! ;)

They sell a few snacks to take away - fresh daily made muffins - delicious! Plus other packaged delights.

It is located on a main road near the Silver Pavilion and was pretty easy to spot.

The restaurant has a great vibe, nice and clean and was always pretty busy for lunch - although we always managed to get a table.

I would highly recommend going here for a coffee or lunch, or both! Great restaurant! :)

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 28, 2014

Pros: Coffee and coffee art :), Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: No cons!
cammyschinner
cammyschinner

Fun little dive!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

Let me start out by saying that if you're not going to buy a meal there, at least go to get a black sesame (goma) latte and to admire the three beautiful sisters and brother who run the place! (seriously, they're all so good looking. And the latte is scrumptious, with a cute design in the foam.)

Anyway, I visited Tosca with a group of about six, so we all ate family-style. The food was really, really good. The plating and presentation is thoughtful and colorful. You had your heartier dishes, and your healthy ones; your creative and fancy plates, and casual comfort foods. A great variety of Asian and Western foods. It really filled my craving for yummy vegan food. Standouts include a gorgeous spring salad with sauteed mikan (Japanese mandarin orange) and a pan-fried tofu dish with a mushroom and green onion sauce. (really, everything was great, except the pasta marinara was mediocre.)

I honestly can't speak for the price since I didn't pay, but even if it's a bit on the higher end, it's worth it. The ambiance is pleasant and cozy, food is delish, and the staff all speak English (With cute Aussie accents). For dinner, it's great, and food comes quick. It was quite popular, too.
I would have liked to try a dessert, didn't get the chance.

I'll be returning (if I make it back to Kyoto)!!

Pros: yummy food, hit the spot., Handsome waiter, beautiful chefs, English-speaking, friendly
davidredstone
davidredstone

Lovely place, run by a family from Fukushima

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

Tosca is on the main road 'Imadegawa Dori', not far from another veg place called 'Sujata'.
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/KvOAo

Tosca is run by a family from Fukishima. They moved after the disaster there. We met the mother and two daughters, and another lady who worked there. The mother and she said they used to have a restaurant in Tokyo, but moved to Kyoto. She has two daughters who run Tosca, who used to live in Australia, and a third daughter still lives in Australia. They are all friendly and speak quite good English.

Other than being a little expensive, we liked the location, staff and food. If you are in the area of Ginkakuji -- the 'Silver Temple' -- it's worth checking out Tosca.

There is another place called Sujata which is just up the road, and is cheaper, but it is smaller and busier. We got served quickly at Tosca. Depending on how much time and money you have, this may or may not be important to you. Or, you could be like us, and visit every place you can!

Side notes:
They said they will update their website with English in due course.

The mother also told us she and her husband run macrobiotic/fasting retreats in the Blue Mountains, just outside Sydney, Australia. If you're interested in Macrobiotics or fasting, ask them about it...

Pros: Easy to find, The sisters and mother speak English, Good food
Cons: Expensive
  • davidredstone davidredstone

They said the will update their website with English in due course.

Dear Owner and Manager of Tosca: