Tortilleria Nixtamal

Serves meat, veg options available. Small menu with a few vegetarian and vegan options. Makes their own corn tortillas from fresh corn. Sells fresh salsa and corn masa for take-out. Colorful interior. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Non-veg
104-05 47th Ave (59th St)
Corona, New York 11368
718-699-2434

Open Mon-Thur 11am-9pm, Fri-Sun 11am-10pm.

• Cash only

First Review by rmark25
Violistakaren
Violistakaren

Not really vegan friendly

2 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I was excited to try this Mexican option for vegans when I saw it listed on HC, but when I visited and asked the hard questions they seemed to say nothing was available to me. Apparently even the veg tacos are still prepared by heating the tacos in lard. The tortillas themselves are vegan and one can buy them by the bag (really delicious) but the restaurant won't prepare them without animal fat. It was very disappointing.

rmark25
rmark25

artisan tortillas

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2010

This restaurant does not have a large menu and the vegetarian choices are even less, but what you do go there for is a place that emphasizes fresh, quality ingredients. Tortilleria Nixtamal makes their own corn tortillas daily from fresh corn...that's saying a lot! I have not gone yet, but you can stop by early and watch the entire process, which is something I plane to do soon. The atmosphere is bright, colorful and clean. The waitress was very friendly and seemed proud of the place. She was very attentive when I asked her about items with no meat and even asked me about cheese. She told me that they have the best guacamole in NYC. What I did have was very good and I plan to go back again. Definitely try one of the Jarritos, which is a brand of soda from Mexico that contains real sugar and comes in great flavors.They also have fresh salsa for sale and also sell fresh tortillas and "corn masa" you can take home to make your own tamales.

Pros: Fresh Ingredients, great flavors, inexpensive
Cons: needs more vegetarian options

Dear Owner and Manager of Tortilleria Nixtamal: