Not-for-profit organization operating movement/music and art studios, traditional counseling service, and vegetarian café with internet facilities. Offers wide range of services and activities to the local community of Tameside and Glossop, from art to yoga and all things in between. They use Fair Trade and Organic produce whenever possible. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, English

Mon-Thu 10:00am-4:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-3:00pm

First Review by sophym
sophym
sophym

Lovely cafe - worth a trip!

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2011

I found this place when searching for vegan-friendly cafes near Audenshaw, as my mum and I were looking to take an aged aunt out for lunch. There weren't any reviews so we decided to just go and see how it was.

The place was packed when we arrived, always a good sign! It doesn't win any prizes for decor but there was a nice friendly atmosphere and chit-chat between tables (being rather cramped). The menu doesn't list vegan options, so I asked at the counter and was given a comprehensive run-down of 4/5 things that they could do for me - soup, falafel sandwiches, salads, and a couple of the mains. I chose the spicy chickpeas and spinach topped with falafel and pitta bread, which was good. My mum and aunt both had the spinach and cheese filo pie off the specials board and said it was very tasty. Decent sized portions, and only £4.25 for a main! The sarnies and soups are around £2.50 each, very reasonable for lunch.

Of course we had to sample the puddings too - there was a chocolate and fruit cake which was vegan, and apple and plum crumble with vegan custard. I went for the chocolate cake but my mum ordered wrong so I ended up with crumble. I wasn't sorry though! It was really delicious. Crunchy granola-esque topping and not-too-sweet soft fruity interior, with a little jug of warm vegan custard alongside.

Thoroughly recommended - and considering that the train from Manchester takes 10 minutes and only costs £2.30, it's possibly cheaper to eat here than in town...

Pros: vegan-friendly, very tasy food, inexpensive
  • IanTopaz IanTopaz

Thank you so much for your review of us! On the basis of your review we now mark all Vegan options on our blackboard with a V, also if the dish can be made Vegan it is marked (V), Gluten Free GF. Hope to see you again soon and glad you enjoyed your visit.

Dear Owner and Manager of Topaz: