Serves meat, veg options available. Advertises as vegetarian friendly on its window and sidewalk sign. Much of its deli dishes are based on vegetables, beans, rice, and lentils, rotated regularly, and usually includes baba-ganoush, falafel, hummus, stuffed cabbage, eggplant salad, cauliflower salad, sometime okra. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Middle Eastern, Salad bar, Take-out, Non-veg

dalal
dalal

great food

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

the food is great and they have lots of options

ggwellness
ggwellness

Wow! Great Variety of Choices

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2013

I am blown away by the options & choices at Tony's Deli in downtown Sanford! There are so few good places to eat in Central Florida outside of the Orlando metro area. Please stop by & check this place out, we need to support veg-friendly restaurants in Seminole & Volusia counties.

My favorite so far is the Eggplant Salad - the roasted eggplant is divine.

A combo with 3 items is %7.99 & there is enough to feed 2 people, which makes it a good value.

Pros: Lots of Options, Good Value, Quick & Delicious
AnnaNimitee
AnnaNimitee

Finally! Sanford Gets One Right!

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

First, thank you so much to whoever listed this restaurant on Happy Cow. We may not have found it, otherwise, and that would have been a terrible shame. Here's my review from Yelp!
Forget all you've known about Middle Eastern food in the Sanford/Orlando area, and come experience (by far) the freshest, most authentic, delicious experience around! Whether you're a seasoned pro at this sort of thing, or new to the cuisine, Tony's Deli will absolutely win you over. No fuss, no belly dancers, no hookahs.. just tasty, authentic food with low-calorie, nutrient-dense ingredients. Oh, did I mention, we're vegan? We went in and were immediately greeted by a friendly, knowledgeable staff member/chef, who didn't bat an eyelash when we mentioned we were vegan. He introduced us to the menu items suited to us (which included the vast majority of what was available), and I was very happy to see most of it not swimming in oil or depending on heavy, starchy carbs. We each ordered combo plates so we could taste as much as possible, and nothing disappointed in the least. Each new bite was fresh, and slightly different from the last. I'm a pretty decent home cook, and don't think I could replicate most of these flavors at home (although they do have some selection of take-home ingredients for purchase if you want to try). It was a fantastically priced, super yummy meal we'll go back for again and again. From what we're told, the menu rotates, so if you're interested in something in particular, call ahead and find out when they'll have it. Can't wait to try the marinated vegetables and cauliflower salad (at least, I think that's what they were called). I should mention, Tony's Deli does have carnivorous offerings that looked fantastic, as well. Something for everyone (aside from those who don't like food that just plain tastes good)!

(Disappointed with Happy Cow for not allowing a rating over 4 for a not-exclusively-vegetarian restaurant, as this one would've gotten a solid TEN in my book. Go there and see for yourself!)

Pros: Healthy, Low-fat, Naturally Vegan Items, Taste was amazing!, Fast Service, Accommodating Staff
Cons: Not Open Sundays, (but great food deserves a day of rest!)

Chucky
Chucky

Tony's Deli in Sanford ROCKS!

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2013

In one word... incredible! Make it two words... simply incredible! My wife and I were looking for healthy alternative places in the Sanford area when we bumped into Tony's Deli by happenstance. As we drove down First Street in Sanford we noticed the street sign, "Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly".

Having little experienc with Middle Eastern cuisine, I really did not know what to expect as I entered the diner. I had to step back and take a second gasp of air when I first saw the deli counter! Much to my amazement, almost everything being served was meat-free with the exception of but a few items.

If memory serves me right, of the 20 or so items on the hot and cold deli bar only but 3 or 4 contained meat! As a bonus, each dish looked incredibly fresh and delicious! Ours was an easy choice for our first visit. We each ordered the 4 item combo and chose different entrees so that we could sample as many as our stomachs would allow.

What was my first impression upon that initial bite? I immediately sensed the freshness of the ingredients and perfect union of the accompanying herbs and spices in the dish. No sooner had my tongue experienced happy dances of vegetarian taste bud sensations, I moved onto the next dish. Guess what? It was as delicious, fresh, tasty and nutritious as the last. What an amazing Middle Eastern food chain which I had going.

The hummus was certainly one of the best which I have partaken. It was a texture that I prefer with a fresh tahini and lemony follow-through. The baba-ganoush? Again... incredible! Every bite was only matched by the next. The eggplant dishes were fresh and wholly intact. No mushy mess of goo is served at Tony's Deli. Even their okra in a light tomato sauce dish held up under the warm heat. The pieces of okra were right smack in the middle of fresh off of the vine and over-cooked slimy mush!

The owners/managers are extremely friendly and you just know that you're in for a real treat when you allow them to show off their deli. Their eyes sparkled with excitement as they proudly went over the day's offerings. You just knew from looking into their eyes that this was no ordinary food! They nailed every dish and I CANNOT wait to return. I'll be returning over and over and over again.

If you want incredible tasty Middle Eastern food at a great price, I'll see you there! Once you try it, you are certain to return because they rotate their dishes on a daily basis. I can't wait to return. C u there!

Pros: incredible food, great value, friendly staff
Cons: not open Sundays, not closer to home

Dear Owner and Manager of Tony's Deli: