Tomo Sushi

Serves meat, veg options available. Burbank Japanese restaurant and sushi bar. Has vegan sushi menu - just let chef know you're vegan or vegetarian. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Japanese, Take-out, Non-veg
144 N San Fernando Blvd (Orange Grove)
Burbank, California 91502
818-729-0808

First Review by Tiina
meldanis
meldanis

not good

2 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2012

I went here today and it was not great... I wouldn't go back again. The atmosphere was dirty and greasy. While they have a decent veg menu, the waitress wasn't clear what had dairy in it (sauces) and what didn't, or whether they could prepare the vegan food where it wouldn't be contaminated. The food was bland and I felt a bit ill after, even though I only ate the edamame, miso, and some avocado rolls. It's a shame because i like to promote restaurants that offer a veg menu, but this one i do not recommend.

Pros: large veg menu
Cons: dirty, bad oil, cross-contamination
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Huge Vegetarian Roll list!

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2010

This is one of my favorite sushi places in all of the world! I think its actually run by Chinese proprietors, but they really accommodate vegetarians. I'm not sure if they understand vegan, but more than enough vegans eat here so I'm hoping the kim chi roll doesn't have anchovies, etc. Its a fun place with $ bills on the wall all colored up. The people are really nice even if English is not so great. Tony's Darts bar just opened in the area so I heard a lot of vegans are happy that there's another place to eat in burbank now

Pros: huge selection, good service
Cons: needs more vegan clarification
Tiina
Tiina

Tomo's is the ONLY place to go!

4 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2009

We have been going to Tomo's now for around 3 years, ever since we randomly walked in and thought it was going to be the usual cucumber, vegetable or avocado sushi choices. Not so. Tell Tomo that you are vegetarian or vegan, and then let him work his magic. You will experience foods that you have never heard of or tried before (mountain potato with mung bean...little yummy fried peppers with the most delicious sauce ever...kim chee sushi rolls...). He always changes it up, too - some things stay the same but when we visit there is always something new that he throws in during the many courses that he will serve to you, which are never on the menu.

Truly an indulgent and rare to find experience. Top it off that Tomo is a sweet guy as well as an artisan at what he does, it is a most pleasant experience. It's not cheap, we go there as a special treat when we can, but totally worth it. Even our meat-loving friends have given Tomo high marks for his skill with fish and sushi.

I wish I could give 5 stars, but since fish/meat is served here as well, Happy Cow will only allow 4. Tomo's is tops in our book!

Pros: Amazing 'off the menu' food, Unusual & large selection of veg items, Great service, high quality food
Cons: A bit expensive, Location is small, but cozy