Tofu Cafe Fujino

Serves meat, veg options available. Has English menu with pictures, all dishes are centered around tofu but uses egg in some dishes. Lunch and dinner along with desserts. Clean and modern with prompt service. Japanese address 上京区今小路通御前通西入る. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg
843-7 Kamiyagawa-cho, Nishi-IRS, Onmae, Imakojidori, Kamigyo-ku (east of Nishioji-dori)
Kyoto, Japan 602-8384
075-463-1028

Open Mon-Sun 9am-6pm.

• Cash only

First Review by rockcita
Shauna333
Shauna333

Fulfil your tofu dreams :-)

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

I saw this restaurant on Happy Cow before going to Japan in March 2013, and it was very near to Kitano Tenmangu Shrine, which I was visiting to see the ume blossom. I emailed ahead of my visit and the manager was wonderful, he made a reservation for me and would speak to his staff about making a special vegan tofu meal for me.

It was very easy to find and lots of signage. It is on every Japanese tourist's to do list, so gets very busy with Japanese visitors on their holiday to Kyoto. I spoke to a member of staff and showed her my email and after some confusion, I got a table. She spoke to the chef who knew about my visit and they prepared a veganised version of the rice bowl. This would usually have fish stock in, along with the dipping sauce (which they substituted for soy sauce). The food came out fast and was amazing.

The rice bowl had fresh yuba and silken tofu on top, with a bowl of clear soup (I checked what the stock was and was pleased they had taken the time to make it konbu only). Also I had pickles and a plate of different types of tofu. Everything was delicious and I even had a piece of baumkuchen cake (soymilk, of course!). I doubt this would have been vegan, but definitely vegetarian.

The place was very light and the staff were friendly and very helpful. Despite the language barrier, they had an English menu. I think it helped I had a list of what I could not eat in Japanese, which helped the chef understand.

There are souvenirs available here too, and I bought some traditional cinnamon cookies (yatsuhashi), made with soymilk and some sugar and soymilk wagashi, rakugan. There were also lovely calendars featuring their mascot rabbit.

I highly recommend eating here, but contact them ahead of time to arrange a veggie friendly option, as everything will have fish dashi in and bonito on top. Also, there were very long queues when I left (at lunchtime on a weekday), so it is worth making a reservation and going early.

Also, as expected, the meals are very tofu heavy. I love tofu, but maybe your omni friend may not :-)

These are the same people that own the soymilk donut stall in Nishiki Market, which I can also highly recommend - the yummiest donuts I've ever had!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly and helpful staff, Light and airy restaurant
LucidDreams
LucidDreams

yummy tofu

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

We just happened to walk by this place and just had to check it out. Lovely cafe with delicious tofu dishes and deserts. Some of the dishes might contain egg. Except for one dish which contains ham all other things seem to be vegetarian.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 23, 2013

In their shop they sell fish stock so might want to check that they don't have fish in the food. Also the location on the map is incorrect. It lies much closer to Kita no Tenmangu Shrine. If you follow the map you end up at falafel garden.

Pros: delishious food, cute place, tofu
Cons: ham, eggs
rockcita
rockcita

great tofu dishes

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

This Kyoto restaurant showcases tofu in a variety of ways including yuba. All food is beautifully presented whether its a set meal or a dessert. There are 3 set meals available ranging from 1050 to 1200 yen, with each one comprised of 6-8 different items. There are a number of other things on the menu (an English version is available) including a variety of drinks and scrumptous parfaits for dessert. There is egg in some items, so you need to ask. The only meat I saw, was a few thin slices of ham served on a breakfast plate. Service is prompt and friendly. The restaurant is of mid size, clean and has large windows that make it well lit. There is one restroom, which is small, but clean and well-stocked. The only problem I had with this place, was the closing time. The hours posted on the window says its open till 11, but the website says 6. I got there once at 5:30, and it was closed. The Tofu Cafe is on the north side of Imadegawa-dori, east of Nishioji-dori and west of Kitano Tenmangu Shrine.

Pros: beautiful delicious food, great service, fair prices
Cons: various closing times

Dear Owner and Manager of Tofu Cafe Fujino: