Quaint side street with park and water view. Offers a variety of local traditional pies and pizzas, as well as 2-3 main courses plus coffee. Salads and side dishes are prepared on the spot. Fresh organic bread is baked every day. The Cretan owners cater to regular locals and tourists alike. Has wi-fi, small bookstore, natural products. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Greek, Mediterranean, Pizza, Take-out

o0Carolyn0o
o0Carolyn0o

Wonderful!

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2014

Once again, Happy Cow leads us to a gem. Cretan food is already very wonderful and full of local flavours, but it's so nice to have a place like this that is all vegetarian and very vegan friendly. I had the pumpkin starter and the moussaka. Both were great. My husband had the Spanokopita and the Bouraki. The Bouraki was really wonderful...it had pumpkin, goat cheese, and potato, with a pastry crust. We're driving to the east tomorrow, so we plan to stop along the way for another meal. They were our of the eggplant and raisins, so if that's available, I plan to try that along with a main, and my husband wants to try the chestnuts. You'll be full with a starter and a main dish. The young woman serving us was also very friendly...reading other reviews it sounds like she is the owner's daughter.

*Update: We ended up going again and it was equally as delicious. The eggplant starter...wow. perfectly cooked eggplants topped with raisins, pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, and wonderful herbs. I had the stuffed zucchini flowers, with the option of a stuffed tomato...really, really so good. My husband had the chestnuts with onions in a wine sauce...unbelievable! We also got to meet Stalios this time. Such a kind and compassionate man. You can really tell he puts so much care and sincerity into everything. I've eaten at a lot of vegetarian places on my travels, and this has to be one of my favourites so far.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 14, 2014

Pros: Good service, Delicious!
Tolteckos

CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

Delicious find

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2014

So happy to find this mostly vegan restaurant in Old Town Chania. Not every menu item is available every day – and some items are seasonal (chestnuts in winter) – but there are plenty of choices. They make their own bread with “very little gluten.” Menu has sections for appetizers, “on the hob” (stove-top), “in the oven,” salads, spaghetti, sweets. Some items have cheese, but most are available vegan. My friend was thrilled to have gluten-free, meat-free moussaka. I had a plate of sautéed vegetables that included potatoes, zucchini, carrots, garlic, onion, red pepper, okra. I had a Greek organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized beer, the blonde one rather than the dark one. We shared a green salad with dill and olives, and eggplant grilled with raisins. Next day I went with another friend. I had the vegan spinach pie (delicious flavours including fennel) for €2,50 and a tasty chickpea-rice soup made with onions, lemon, greens for €6,50. My friend had a cheesy kalitsouria for 1,70 and boureki for 8,00, which was a large piece of layered pie made with thinly sliced potatoes, cheese, greens, filo pastry.
Reasonable prices.

Updated from previous review on Sunday August 10, 2014

Pros: freshly made meals

Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Authentic Cretan Food

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

This is a very nice all vegetarian restaurant in Old Port Chania, run by a very nice man that is very vegan accommodating. There are plenty of vegan choices on the menu and the prices are reasonable.

NNS
NNS

Delicious

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

Excellent food and service and very friendly host. This is someone who takes real pride in what he prepares and is religiously vegitarean.
I highly recommend.

Pros: Tasty, Friendly, Simple
Seabass
Seabass

Best meal of our holiday!

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

Found this place via happycow and wondered if it could live up to the reviews - it did! Delicious food cooked and explained by charming owner, Stelios. Really enjoyed the fava dip/spread and lentil soup, and the greens were just divine! Lovely bread and beautiful salads too. And, as another review has said, blissfully not swimming in oil as a lot of other meals out in Greece tend to be.

Stelios was also very thoughtful and kind with our three year old, and kept wanting to bring him things to try! Great location too, just tucked away a road or two in from the harbour in the old town. Would definitely recommend To Stachi.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, not oily
Cons: none!
_mayz_
_mayz_

yummmmmmmmo!

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

Wow! Such amazing food and a lovely father daughter team! Sooo good you MUST try! They make different things each day and although there was not vegan moussaka tonight I have pre ordered some for tomorrow! Yummmmmmmmmm

Pros: lovely service , organic food, big vegan menu
Andy Ironveganman
Andy Ironveganman

I loved it !!!!!!

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

I happened to be in Chania for work and,thanks to HappyCow.net,went for dinner to TO STACHI. What to say? Everything was perfect. The food was excellent and Stelios, the owner-chef, the very nice person every review talks about.I felt really at home. If you are in Chania, go pay him a visit... it's really worthwhile.

Pros: excellent food, inexpensive, excellent hospitality
Cons: not always open during winter time
nanahcubja
nanahcubja

Excellent! It really is as good as everyone says.

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2013

Visited To Stachi after reading the reviews on this and other sites. I've been vegetarian for 40+ years, and this has to be one of the very best vegetarian restaurants I've eaten in.
Stelios' told us what was cooking and explained which dishes were not yet ready. We particularly enjoyed the chestnut and mushroom dish, and are so glad we took his advice about the soya milk pie dessert. Indeed everything we ate was of an exceptionally high standard.
The welcome and service were warm and friendly, and it was a great pleasure to talk with Stelios about his attitude to good slow food. We'll definitely be going to To Stachi several times when we're next in Chania.

Pros: Great ingredients, Cooked with care and love, Friendly and informal
KCI
KCI

Fresh home made food

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

This is a typical family owned eatery with the owned and his family take care of the guests wit the restaurant being part if their home. I was even invited to take a look at the choices of the day in the kitchen.

I ate here four times and got never disappointed.

The starters I tried were grilled aubergines with raisins, herbs xorta vrasta, Greek sallad, spinach pie, spinach pirogue, Cretan salad and gigantes / white giant beans.

The main courses I tried were filled tomatoes gemista, moussakas wit soy mince, mpoureki with mint, filed wine leaves and filled rocket flowers.

Everything was fresh, tasty, not swimming in oil and home made.

Pros: Home made, Fresh, Genuine
margaritav
margaritav

simple, traditional, excelent food

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

very good traditional vegetarian and vegan food, really good restaurant, friendly staff and great location. I love it everytime I visit this place!

earthville
earthville

Worth a trip to Crete just for this experience

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2012

To Stachi is exactly what we had been looking for: the finest traditional Greek cuisine, served up with love by delightful people in a beautiful spot at very reasonable prices. The food was the best we had in Greece, using fresh, organic produce cooked with great care by the proprietor, Stelios, whose joy and love of food and friends is evident in every bite and in every moment of being in his company.

Stelios is a proud proponent of the slow food movement, giving all his preparations the time required in the oven or on the stove to bring out the best flavors. But this doesn't mean the wait is long, as he's constantly cooking all day, and when you arrive he'll let you know what's ready and what's soon to be ready. He took us into the kitchen to show us all his masterpieces in progress, which often included both vegan and lacto versions (including a soy-based "milk pie" with filo crust that is not to be missed). Both the varieties of dolmadakis (stuffed zucchini flowers and stuffed grape leaves) were by far the best we've had anywhere, thanks to his special preparations. And when i told Stelios that okra is one of the few veggies i don't like, he smiled and said, "Okra, yes, but not my okra." He gave me a sample and he was right: This was the first okra i'd ever had that i actually really enjoyed. Stelios is a very gifted chef with a mastery of flavor and texture, and he's always experimenting and making new discoveries.

But as good as the food is, the best part of our two visits was Stelios himself. He and his whole family radiate love and joy and were such a pleasure to be around. We came back in the off hours when Stelios had time to sit down with us, and we found him to be a humble and generous repository of wisdom about life in general and a great source of information about how to find the quiet, magical places we were looking for in Crete.

What treasures! If you're on Crete (or anywhere near it), please stop by and meet Stelios and his family, and try their wonderful food. Keep in mind that Greek business hours can be a bit flexible, so if they're closed when you first arrive, you might take a walk around the waterfront or the old town and they'll likely be open when you return.

Enjoy! :-)

Pros: Best traditional food in Greece, organic and very vegan-friendly, exceptional people
JMcCleary
JMcCleary

Excellent!

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2012

We had easily the best meal of our whole trip in Greece here. We went for lunch, intending to have a quick meal and then go see some museums, but ended up staying for nearly two and a half hours eating lovely vegan food and chatting with the friendly owner. Stelios is definitely the heart and soul of the place- he made us feel welcome and is definitely a kindred spirit. He talked about food from the heart and showed us a book where guests from all over the world have left notes for him. He was obviously quite proud of his restaurant and food, and with good cause. We had a salad of wild mountain greens (he showed us photos on his camera of he and his daughter picking the greens, and brought us one with the roots and dirt still on so we could see what it looked like!), some truly amazing roasted eggplant with raisins, olive oil, and some sort of avocado dip; fresh homemade bread, a cooked dish of fava beans and more greens, another dish of cooked potatoes, tomatoes, beans, etc., some fava bean dip, fresh orange juice. The weather was beautiful so we sat outdoors and enjoyed the sunshine and a nice view of the water. The museums were all closed by the time we left but I didn't even care! Highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, warm and friendly owner, nice outdoor seating
margg
margg

beautiful home cooking

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2011

Stelios will personalize your food for you,, all healthy clean and full of love... come be nourished at Stachi the welcome and the food will make you feel better... that's what they did for me

mluria
mluria

Great resturant in Chania Old Town

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

We arrived very hungry after coming to Chania, directly after our flight from Iraklion. We found this resturant, at the end of the harbor in a quiet area. We ordered a Cretian green bean and potato dish, and a stuffed grape leaves plate which was large, tasty, and very filling. The owner was incredibly nice, explaining which dishes were vegan, served us homemade warm bread and apple cake, and sat with us. About half the items on the menuy were vegan, and at 8 Euro for main courses, not very expensive. We would definitely go back the next time we are in the area.

Pros: good food , healthy cuisine
arild
arild

Lovely place

Posted on 06 / 30 / 2011

Me and my friend had a lovely time at this nice place. The food was very good, and we had a mix of the different special dishes of the day. The owner was a very friendly man, who made us feel welcome. The mood of the place was warm and relaxed.

bryancanary
bryancanary

Great Cafe

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

Husband and wife owned cafe (Stelios and Zeta)located 1 block off the eastern end of the venetian harbor. They have been cooking/baking/eating vegeterian food without eggs for 20+ years. Food offerings are basic greek eats like pizza, spinich pies, goat cheese pies, home cooked bread, fresh juice, soup of the day, etc. Much of the food is on the counter so you can take a look at all the days options before ordering. They are from Chania, they speak good english, and they are very happy to share tourist info and travel tips. Wonderful couple.

Pros: wonderful food, wonderful owners

Dear Owner and Manager of To Stachi - Wheat: