Serves meat, veg options available. Ovo-lacto vegetarian dishes available on the daily menu; may have a few vegan items as well. Price: Expensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by markvegan
jenly
jenly

Let's all go there and order the tempeh

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

Vermont restaurants close early, so when it hit 7:30 pm and we were still on I91 on our way headed north, I began to panic. I googled and telephoned and it looked like my kids would probably have to skip dinner that night when somehow I checked out the menu for this restaurant. True, the entrees were mostly meat, but there was also a pepita crusted tempeh with roasted squash and coconut curry sauce on the menu. I called to check the restaurant's availability, and we made a beeline for it.

The lunch menu has a LOT more options--curried chickpeas, black bean burgers, falafel, etc. There were not many choices at dinner--my kids had the pasta and my husband and I had the tempeh. There were a lot of very nice sounding side dishes accompanying the entrees that I am sure would have made a nice vegetarian plate had we asked for one.

The tempeh dish was sensational and that is why I am giving this restaurant five cows. The other food was good as well, but the tempeh dish would have been a standout even at restaurants like Candle 79 or Blossom. Crispy breaded tempeh slices atop a ring of baked squash with a red coconut curry sauce, sauteed red cabbage and a few steamed kale leaves. It was one of the most delicious meals I have had at any restaurant in quite a while.

We wound up here because the restaurant we used to stop at has become, sadly, veg unfriendly. So it was nice to stumble upon this little restaurant with this gem of a dish and hope that they receive enough encouragement to expand their veg offerings at dinner.

ABGoldblatt
ABGoldblatt

Great restaurant!

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

It's true that there's a fair bit of meat on the menu, but they'll accommodate almost any diet. The food is delicious, and the presentation beautiful! My current favorite place.

Dear Owner and Manager of Tip Top Cafe: