Serves meat, veg options available. Menu has icons for fish, dairy, egg ingredients. Has vegan-friendly options. Try the vegetarian coconut soup with shiitake mushrooms, sprouts, and tofu. The vegetarian menu no longer contains fish sauce. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-Friendly, International, Non-veg
Calle 11, Ave 6 y 8 (near Ave Central Market in downtown)
San Jose, Costa Rica
506-221-7605

First Review by wendystrebe
choogirl
choogirl

Great labelling of vegan and vegetarian food

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

This Asian restaurant is excellent. I went here twice and took some other vegetarians the second time so got to try quite a few vegan things. Everything was delicious and reasonably spicy for South Latin (which is not spicy). The staff are very helpful and can speak English if needed. I highly recommend the sorbet sampler!

Pros: Vegan choice, Vegan ice cream
Cons: The bill can quickly add up
corinal
corinal

Wonderful, high-end restaurant

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but go inside and it is a different world. A gorgeous place, this is where I take people for a special occasion in San Jose. The vegan food is so good! I love the Tofu Kung Pao, pakoras, samosas, and fruit drinks. The staff speak English so it makes it easier for out-of-town guests that don't speak Spanish - especially when there are food allergies, etc. They can accommodate pretty much anything.

Pros: Great food, Beautiful atmosphere
Pura Vida Pantry
Pura Vida Pantry

Vegan Asian Food

3 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2013

They have an extensive menu with soy meat products. I recommend the potstickers and their delicious teas. Otherwise, avoid all the soy stuff and go with a nice rice or noodle dish. Good food, though and friendly service.

Pros: friendly staff, vegan food!
Cons: a little pricey
crewumiami
crewumiami

Awesome

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

While visiting, my friend found this place in our travel guide and it did not disappoint!! Great vegan options and the staff was truly amazing. Each dish in the menu is indicates if contains animal products or not. Such a great and tasty meal, that went back for the last meal on last night!! A place worth eating at if visiting or a local!!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, healthy cuisine
Richard Myers
Richard Myers

The best vegan food we had in San Jose

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

Tin-Jo was about a 15 minute walk from the Gran Hotel where we were staying. The restaurant is located on a quite unremarkable street but once you are inside, it is a great atmosphere. They have a separate vegetarian menu which was appreciated. We all enjoyed the appetizers, I had the samosas. Two of us had the Thai Green Curry and thought it great while the other two had the Pad Thai but were less impressed but still enjoyed it. Lots of vegan choice which made us happy. The place was very busy and the owner came to our table to thank us for dining there. All very nice and a satisfying meal.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Great food, Good service
Cons: Not cheap
pablocollier
pablocollier

The best!

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

The very best Asian restaurant in Costa Rica! The section of vegetarian food is quite extensive. Also has gluten free selections.

Pros: the best food, great atmsphere, good prices
Aemt
Aemt

Great vegan option in San Jose

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

My husband and I (both vegan) were traveling with two meat eaters and constantly looking for restaurants that would be amenable to all. Tin Jo was a great option for us, and one of our best meals overall in Costa Rica. We got the ma-po tofu and another tofu dish and both were delicious. The complimentary crunchy snacks they bring before the meal are good too. Highly recommended if you are going through San Jose.

Pros: Clear vegan menu, Numerous vegan options, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Not a fantastic neighborhood
AnandaBabaji
AnandaBabaji

• raw

veg/Vegan and gluten free menu

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

I recommend this place ... we've been twice and I will go back again soon! Friendly staff, and they even have a gluten free menu!!! How great is that! and yes, the Thai Coconut dish is quite good! Pura Vida!

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Veronica01
Veronica01

Great food and service

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2009

I went here for the first time tonight because of this site and was really pleased that their website shows a full menu and vegetarian menu selection. Both presented in English and Spanish which was very helpful. There was a great selection of vegan and vegetarian appetizers and entrees. The dishes we ordered were the Cha Gio rolls, vegetarian rolls, samosas, Pad Thai, Vegetarian Indian Curry, and passionfruit sorbet sticky coconut rice with mango for dessert.

The best items were the samosas, vegetarian indian curry and the coconut rice desert, it was similar to rice pudding and very nice. I liked that the degree of spicyness from 1 to 5 was offered for all of the dishes. The pad thai had way too much sauce on it and was a little too salty with soy sauce.

The staff was very nice and helpful and had good recommendations and descriptions of the food when asked. The food also came out piping hot and extremely fast. Even when we ordered another appetizer after initially ordering, it came out right away.

I will definitely, definitely come back here. Check out the website for their menu. This place is also a favourite of many non vegan people in San Jose. Very reasonably priced and classy, our entire meal was less than $40 USD!

Pros: great atmosphere, very clean, great selection
Cons: items with milk not labelled, downtown location can be hard to get to
eattolive
eattolive

Good choices

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

Although Tin Jo is indeed a bit pricey for Costa Rica, it is worth it to eat in a restaurant with such a large and varied menu that is coded very well for vegetarians. I think the other reviewer is correct about the fish sauce, but at least the menu makes it clear, if I remember correctly. Tin Jo is obviously an Asian restaurant, and it has a nice garden patio out back too. When I was there, it seemed like a power-lunch spot for local businesspeople and also nice families.
The service was good, and they were nice and let me use their phone to make a local call, which was much needed.

The food was flavorful.

I would go back here for sure every time I am in downtown San Jose!

Pros: service, menu variety, atmosphere
wendystrebe
wendystrebe

Dependable Great Food

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2007

When I go to San Jose, I almost always eat here. I am vegan and they have some wonderful options.

Pros: excellent food, great service, nice atmosphere
Cons: not always fast, there is a smoking section

Dear Owner and Manager of Tin-Jo: